Messerschmitt Mistel - Bf 109E & Me 262

Started by zenrat, December 20, 2017, 02:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Bf 109E/Me 262 Mistel

Me 262-Bf 109 E Mistel 14 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

For the purposes of test flying the prototypes of the unmanned Me 262 flying bomb Messerschmitt AG used a disarmed war weary veteran Bf 109E that while being maintained mechanically had suffered from exposure to the elements.
Once the 109 had detached from the 262 it was flown via radio from a chase aircraft.  Either a two seat "bomber nose" Me 262 or one of the early P.1099 development hacks.

Me 262-Bf 109 E Mistel 4 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Me 262-Bf 109 E Mistel 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model:
MPM Me 262 Mistel lower aircraft and launching trolley (Launching trolley rear wheels replaced with those from an Airfix AEC Matador fuel truck).
Hasegawa Messerschmitt Me (sic) 109E.
The MPM Me 262 is not a nice thing to build*.

Me 262-Bf 109 E Mistel 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

* As Lee said somewhere on this forum; "The fuselages are fine - they used a Hasegawa kit as a master - but the wings and engines won't match as they are by Smer (and from the Heller Me 262B).  You'd be better off using the Revell kit for the wings, engines, u/c and interior - they will fit the fuselage with some minor surgery, trust me on this as I've done it albeit twenty years ago -  but you'll have to correct the sit as Revell got it wrong."
The wings MPM supply do not fit at all and the instructions contain detailed measurements showing how to cut them down to fit.  The measurements are wrong but thankfully wrong the right way so what you end up with can then be trimmed some more until it fits.
Large amounts of PSR is required.
The trolley is just as bad.  Fit is rubbish, detail is soft and the wheels are anything but round and had to be replaced.
Having said all that I quite enjoyed it and am pleased at how it came out.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Paper Kosmonaut

Ha! Really good weird idea, this. A jet controlled by a prop. I like it. Mistels by themselves already are a bizarre idea but this one surely belongs in the top five. I really like the weathering on the 109 and the 262 looks surprisingly good without a canopy.
You did a good job on getting the 262 fit together.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

loupgarou

Not much paint left on the Bf 109. Beautiful weathering!  :thumbsup:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

That looks truly MAGNIFICENT Fred, and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

QuoteThe wings MPM supply do not fit at all and the instructions contain detailed measurements showing how to cut them down to fit.  The measurements are wrong but thankfully wrong the right way so what you end up with can then be trimmed some more until it fits.

What sort of manufacturer supplies parts that DON'T fit and then tell you how to modify them to make them fit???  :o

Smacks of the '60s habit of car manufacturers putting the car on the market and getting the customers to tell them what's wrong before they fix them!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 20, 2017, 05:07:26 AM

What sort of manufacturer supplies parts that DON'T fit and then tell you how to modify them to make them fit???  :o

Goes back to the day when they were just starting out to some extent. I've a few of their kits from back then and they almost suggest a stiff drink before opening the box  ;) Look at the quality of some of their stuff now though  :bow:

I do admire that n.m. finish mate  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Chris - the NMF on the 262 is silver car paint with panels brushed in various shades of metaliser.

I'll build the other half of the MPM kit, the bomber nose 262, one day.  I just need enough time to pass for me to forget how bad it was building the bomb.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 21, 2017, 01:21:00 AM

Chris - the NMF on the 262 is silver car paint with panels brushed in various shades of metaliser.

Cheers  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

Congratulations for this unknown double plane! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]