Wanted/For Sale

Started by NARSES2, October 25, 2017, 06:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Army Painters do a primer called Wolf Grey which is very similar.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

I am after an Airfix Lanc Mk.II to use for a Lincoln conversion.

Problem is I am in the US so shipping can be a challenge, especially this year.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

zenrat

Quote from: philp on May 20, 2020, 09:02:23 PM

Could be worse, if shipping from Aus to Canada that is the only option - shipping.  No air mail, just surface.  Estimated time 40 to 60 days.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: philp on May 20, 2020, 09:02:23 PM

You don't need a Mk.II to do a Lincoln conversion as the outer nasels are different due to the extended wing, certainly the two conversion sets I have bought over the years had new molded nacels for the outer engines and new front ends for the inner nacels.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

I'm assuming that Phil is using the Blackbird conversion and that's based on the Airfix Lancaster II with the Hercules engines and the nacelles for those are wider due to the round nature of the engines rather than the shape of the Merlin power egg

IIRC, both Paragon and DB/Flightpath gave you different nacelles for that reason and the wing changes are outboard of the nacelles anyway.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

philp

Yep, is the Blackbird conversion and the Mk. II is the recommended kit.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Gondor

Quote from: philp on May 21, 2020, 08:52:54 PM
Yep, is the Blackbird conversion and the Mk. II is the recommended kit.

I spoke to the owner of Blackbird about this and he really just copied part of the instructions for the Lancaster B.VI kit which includes the recommended kit information. You can as both myself and Lee (The Wooksta! have said, use a B.I/III kit.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

The Wooksta!

Whilst you can use a B1/111 kit for the airframe, you do specifically need the different nacelles of the B.II as the conversion parts are geared to go with that kit.

Other Lincoln conversions were released prior to the Airfix 2013 tooling and gave you new outer nacelles and geared to go with the 1979 Airfix kit.  FWIW, the DB/Flightpath ones are correct and Paragon's are just plain wrong.  If it wasn't for the Balckbird release, I'd go with a very expensive combination of Flightpath for the engines and nacelles and Paragon for everything else.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 22, 2020, 04:48:00 PM
Whilst you can use a B1/111 kit for the airframe, you do specifically need the different nacelles of the B.II as the conversion parts are geared to go with that kit.

Other Lincoln conversions were released prior to the Airfix 2013 tooling and gave you new outer nacelles and geared to go with the 1979 Airfix kit.  FWIW, the DB/Flightpath ones are correct and Paragon's are just plain wrong.  If it wasn't for the Balckbird release, I'd go with a very expensive combination of Flightpath for the engines and nacelles and Paragon for everything else.

OK Lee, I'll bite. Which parts of the Airfix Lancaster B.II kit are specific for the Blackbird Lincoln conversion set which are not in the currant Airfix Lancaster B.I/III kit?

Gondor

The Wooksta!

I don't have one to hand, but the engine nacelles that plug into the wing - they have a more rounded shape for the Hercules, which is a radial, and a Merlin 85 cowling is round.  The difference is quite subtle but it is there.  A look through the Lincoln Warpaint shows that the nacelle shape, certainly on the outboard ones if not the inners, is definitely a more rounded shape.  Hence why Glenn specifies the Airfix Lancaster II.

Paragon gave some adaptors for the inners and new outer nacelles that were round at the front (the ones for his Lancaster II were similar) but TBH, I think they're underscale and the engines themselves have the wrong front and are also underscale.  DB gave you vacform outer nacelles to go over the Airfix 1979 ones, Flightpath resin ones but neither gave you adaptors for the inner nacelles, you just have to use Milliput or another filler to fair it all in.  Mind, there was a lot missing from the Flightpath conversion than there was in the DB one.  Paragon,s may have been wrong in places but at least you got everything, and so did Blackbird.  Although not enough for the RAAF ones as Red Roo did an expensive upgrade for an expensive conversion to go on a not entirely cheap Lancaster kit.

I'd suggest a read of Woody67's conversion from the Lancaster II with the Blackbird kit over on Britmodeller, if it hasn't been fubarred by the Photobucket snafu.  It's very informative and quite handy in places.  In addition, there's a Lincoln in Detail in SAM from either late 1989 or early 1990 that has a conversion from the 1979 tooling using the DB conversion.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Here is a picture from the instruction sheet of the Blackbird Models Lincoln conversion set for the current Airfix Lancaster

Due to the change in angle of the outer wing panels between the Lancaster and Lincoln the outer engine nacelles are replaced with part 4. For the inner engines part 3 is supplied to replace the front of the nacelle which means that a B. Mk I/III kit can be used.

I agree with Lee that there is nothing to do to the nacelles to add a Merlin 85 to a Hercules powered B. Mk II which is why the Airfix B. Mk II is recommended for the Blackbird Lancaster B. Mk VI set which is where the line at the start of the instructions comes from because I talked to Glen about this the last time I was at Telford and he agreed with me that any of the modern Airfix kit's could be used including the Dam Buster version.

Similarly the Blackbird Models Manchester specifies the B. Mk I/III but any of the kits could be used because parts are replaced or not used in that conversion which are specific to Lancaster marks just as for the Lincoln.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

Thanks for that, I was sure you had to use the Lancaster II and indeed I've got one for that very purpose in the secondary stash, along with the Blackbird Lincoln.

I'd still recommend Woody's build thread, because there's one thing he spotted which no one else has - the rear fuselage on the Lincoln is angled up by three degrees - it was found to be easier to do this to change the angle of the tailplanes.  IIRC. he cut the fuselage and put a wedge in to do it.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 23, 2020, 05:02:14 AM
Thanks for that, I was sure you had to use the Lancaster II and indeed I've got one for that very purpose in the secondary stash, along with the Blackbird Lincoln.

I'd still recommend Woody's build thread, because there's one thing he spotted which no one else has - the rear fuselage on the Lincoln is angled up by three degrees - it was found to be easier to do this to change the angle of the tailplanes.  IIRC. he cut the fuselage and put a wedge in to do it.

No problem Lee. you can tell from the instructions that Glen copied and pasted from a previous set of instructions on the same page as the step number changes.

I see things that are wrong, appart from my spelling at times  :rolleyes: because my job entails me dealing with precision and being able to precisely inform others. So when I read the instructions I did wonder about what was going on and I did compair the parts against the kit so that I could resolve any discrepancies.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

I'm not sure he's entirely correct when he told you that the shape of the wing changes - in planform it doesn't, the taper just carries on from the Lancaster quite smoothly into the Lincoln wing.  Overlay a Lancaster wing onto that of a Shackleton and you'll see what I mean.  What does change is the dihedral, and you just need to do a saw cut and put a wedge in.  All the other conversions gave you the outer panels and told you to do that, but they were products of a different age when you were expected to use a modicum of modelling skill and intelligence, as opposed to now where modellers are spoiled and spoonfed.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 23, 2020, 09:15:57 AM
I'm not sure he's entirely correct when he told you that the shape of the wing changes - in planform it doesn't, the taper just carries on from the Lancaster quite smoothly into the Lincoln wing. 

Where did I say that Lee?

Gondor