Lockheed Constellation flying boat

Started by McColm, October 16, 2017, 01:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Over the years from becoming a member of this site I have always wanted to build a flying boat version of the Lockheed Constellation.
My earlier attempt "Connie Francis" used the sponsons from the Sea Dragon helicopter and the lower fuselage section of a Airfix Shorts Sunderland. The engines were a mix-match of Rolls-Royce Griffons and a pair of auxiliary turbojets.
I think this time using two 1/72 Consolidated Catalina amphibious flying boats fixed under each wing of a Airfix/Heller Super Constellation will work. There's a drawing made by Convair back in 1943  Ventnor Type Twin Seaplane Proposal No.9  which uses a similar layout, there's a slight difference as they suggest a gull-wing configuration to avoid the spray of the engines.
Most of the build is straight out the box with the gear up on the Connie and most of the Catalinas minus the wings, engines and floats,,which will come in handy for my other builds.
I might change the engines to turboprops.
If all goes well with this build I might try adding floats to the Flying Wing Project.

sandiego89

Quote from: salt6 on October 16, 2017, 12:07:32 PM
I'd look at grafting some kind of boat hull onto the fuselage.

Agree with Salt, the PBY hulls as floats would create a massive drag problem. The PBY hull is short and fat, resulting in a very slow aircraft, which was acceptable for patrol when endurance was a main requirement- but would be terrible for any type of passenger carrying Connie derivative. They Connie wing was designed for higher speeds, and putting two massive floats on it would totally compromise it. If you really want twin floats, pick a sleeker hull or floats than the PBY.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

jcf

Yep, you'd need something more along the lines of the CANT Z.511
floats.

Scotaidh

It seems to me that the top half of  a Connie, from the windshield back to the tail, upside down, would be the great basis for a central float

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

McColm

I wonder if I only used one Catalina as a central float underneath the Connie. The space left by using the Airfix B-29 wings could be taken by the PBY-5A. That way I can use most of the original parts.

McColm

Quote from: Scotaidh on October 17, 2017, 01:52:30 PM
It seems to me that the top half of  a Connie, from the windshield back to the tail, upside down, would be the great basis for a central float

The lower section of the Boeing C-97 has that keel like appearance, which also makes a very large central float.

McColm

The single Catalina and Connie combination seems to work. I had to remove the Cat's vertical tail fin and center wing section to get a good fit.

kitnut617

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 16, 2017, 01:21:33 PM
Quote from: salt6 on October 16, 2017, 12:07:32 PM
I'd look at grafting some kind of boat hull onto the fuselage.

Agree with Salt, the PBY hulls as floats would create a massive drag problem. The PBY hull is short and fat, resulting in a very slow aircraft, which was acceptable for patrol when endurance was a main requirement- but would be terrible for any type of passenger carrying Connie derivative. They Connie wing was designed for higher speeds, and putting two massive floats on it would totally compromise it. If you really want twin floats, pick a sleeker hull or floats than the PBY.

On my Avro Nottingham (an enlarged Shackleton) which is 1/72 scale, I used a pair of 1/24 Spitfire floats
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

I've found a suitable hull for the Connie from a very old Shinmiewa PS-1 flying boat built and parts recycled.
It seems to fit although in the real world there would be a greater clearance for the propellers.
I'm keeping the original main landing gear in place and adding the floats at the wingtips. I will need to rework the nose wheel landing gear. I need to blend the fuselage into the center float.