#3 DONE +++ 1:144 Ilyushin Il-60 airliner "In Soviet Union, Aeroflot flies YOU!"

Started by Dizzyfugu, February 22, 2017, 01:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Thank you very much gentlemen. I did not expect this one to find such a resonnance - but it's true: lots of potential here, and after all I just did rather minor changes. Structurally, the Caravelle is still there.  :lol:

Stalky bird, though - but the props take their toll, and totally agree with the Boeing 757 (and also Tu-204) similarity. I guess that some turbofans might also call for some longer legs than the Caravelle's, curious how this might turn out, too.

I like the idea of a baby Comet, too - after all, the fuselage and the whole nose section were taken wholesale from the British airliner for the Caravelle, so a variant with only two engines close to the fuselage could become a nice feederliner for the UK, domestic and European routes? Hmmm...!?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 06, 2017, 12:06:38 AM

I like the idea of a baby Comet, too - after all, the fuselage and the whole nose section were taken wholesale from the British airliner for the Caravelle, so a variant with only two engines close to the fuselage could become a nice feederliner for the UK, domestic and European routes? Hmmm...!?

My thinking exactly.

It's a toss up whether to chop the outer engines off a Comet wing or graft a pair of them onto a Caravelle. I think I'd go for the latter, the Comet wing has an IMMENSE chord close into the engines and it would look over-deep on a shorter fuselage.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Again, many thanks!

Besides, the Caravelle/Come hybrid. I haven't built a Comet yet, but the deep wings are an issue I expect, too. My idea would be to take the Comet wings, delete the inner engines and cut the wing tips off - then take out a "plug" in the wings' middle section and then take out another plug from the leftover inner wing parts, reducing depth to fit the wing tip sections. Would probably be messy, and I am not certain if the Caravelle wings could alternatively be transplanted wholsale outside of the Comet's engines? Any combination would IMHO be messy, though. But I like the concept of a shorter, two engine Comet variant a lot.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Airfix could have done a better job of the Comet's parts breakdown. That MASSIVE chunk of wing going all the way under the fuselage makes life very difficult for us Whiffers for sure. Building it OOB isn't that easy either, not without lots of fiddling and filling.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit