#3 DONE +++ 1:144 Ilyushin Il-60 airliner "In Soviet Union, Aeroflot flies YOU!"

Started by Dizzyfugu, February 22, 2017, 01:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: JayBee on February 26, 2017, 04:16:18 AM
I do not see why you are expecting pictures.
There is nothing there to take pictures of, it is after all just an optical Ilyushin:rolleyes: :wacko:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on February 26, 2017, 04:16:18 AM

There is nothing there to take pictures of, it is after all just an optical Ilyushin:rolleyes: :wacko:

You could swing for that in other places Jim, luckily we're very tolerant on here.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Oi!  If i'd said that i'd have been issued with demerit points and been threatened with the black helicopters.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Coming back to the orginal topic: work makes progress again after the photo sessions for the Fastback. Basic painting is done, now I am waiting for some generic, light blue decal stripes which I will use for the trim over the line of windows. No painting experiments here, and in the meantime I fight with ten tiny wheels and how to paint them...  :-\

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 01, 2017, 02:02:33 AM

and in the meantime I fight with ten tiny wheels and how to paint them...  :-\

I stick them on cocktail sticks to paint them, but I ALWAYS file flats on the bottom of them, no matter how small, to ensure the darn things don't roll of any surface that you rest them on to dry.

You can trim off the tapered end of the cocktail stick so that it's a tight fit in the hole in the back of the wheel.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Me, too, but the RUCH kit is in so far a PITA because the wheels come with very short pins - the holes are in the bogies! I eventually glued each of the main wheels onto a thin wooden stick with white glue, and this seems to work.  :o

The blue trim decals were in the post box yesterday and immediately applied, together with appropriate Aeroflot markings from the OOB decal sheet (which lacks at least half of the markings which the instructions contain...). But the Il-60 still looks very elegant, the Soviet flags on the tail change a lot, too. Looks very Cold War-ish now, and strangely modern, too.  :blink:

PR19_Kit

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one in the plastic Thomas. It sounds magnificent so far.

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

More progress: Decaling finished, and I added some post-shading to the grey and white areas - less for weathering, but rather for a "dramatic" effect, since the kit's panel lines are very fine and raised.
I was also able to glue the ten wheels to the kit yesterday evening, and this morning I made the first attempt to put the Il-60 on its stalky legs - and to my relief everything holds in place well, and the aircraft even has a level stance, as hoped for.

Only little things to do. I also "broke open" the windows under the blue decal trim and had to make some minor repairs with paint, and now the Il-60 really looks with an airliner!  :lol:

Will add some exhaust stains with graphite, and I guess that I will add a coat of varnish this evening.

Dizzyfugu

Tension got high during the last days, and I started uploading WiP pics. Here's the series right before painting started - uncommented here (explanations see above), got I think you get a good impression of how the Il-60 evolved from a shabby Caravelle to... something else  :mellow::

"In Soviet Union, Aeroflot flies YOU!" +++ 1:144 Ilyushin Il-60A (NATO ASCC code: Cake); aircraft "CCCP-60014" of the "Аэрофло́т-Росси́йские авиали́нии" (Aeroflot-Rossiyskiye avialinii, Aeroflot Russian Airlines (Whif/kitbashing) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

"In Soviet Union, Aeroflot flies YOU!" +++ 1:144 Ilyushin Il-60A (NATO ASCC code: Cake); aircraft "CCCP-60014" of the "Аэрофло́т-Росси́йские авиали́нии" (Aeroflot-Rossiyskiye avialinii, Aeroflot Russian Airlines (Whif/kitbashing) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Next, the painting process...

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Directly from Russia, via ev!lbay. I paid ~EUR 10,- plus postage - well worth it. Excellent stuff, crisp detail, no flash or bubbles at all, and with a wide range of potential uses, not only in 1:144 or as a correction for the Trumpeter Tu-95.  :wacko:

loupgarou

How did you manage to maintain that brown piece of plastic on fin top through all the filing/sanding without it becoming unstuck?? You had to do some heavy filing.  :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Experience...  ;) And a good glue. It's just a chunk of 1.5mm styrene sheet, directly glued to the cut-off Caravelle fin tip (I use a plastic glue from the model railroad stuff company Vollmer, my personal favorite aftre many trials thorugh 35 years  :rolleyes:). Just let it dry overnight, and the I trimmed it with a cutter blade on the engraving tool, did some sanding with a metal file (carefully only along the edges, in order to avoid side pressurem though), and for the PSR sculpting I used a very soft painter putty. Was not as massive as it might seem, the material thickness only necessitated some mild shaping. But I was a bit astonished, too, that the fin never came loose!  :lol: