Twin tailed Canberra?

Started by Stratos, January 27, 2017, 12:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratos

Not sure of where to post this question, If it does not belong here please move it to the proper forum.

My question is, ever seen a model or a drawing of a twin tail (ala B-25) EE Canberra or B-57? Think it will fit, but cannot found it.

Thanks!

PR19_Kit

Oddly enough a model of EXACTLY that won the Mushroom Monthly trophy (otherwise known as Class 33) at last year's SMW at Telford.

The guy had added the twin tails and raised the model quite a way off the ground in order to give clearance to the two Bristol Bloodhounds carried under each wingtip.....  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

A Canberra like that could seriously damage someone's equilibrium!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on January 27, 2017, 02:56:37 PM
A Canberra like that could seriously damage someone's equilibrium!

It looks like it. There's pics of it in the IPMS Mag and in the IPMS column in SAM this month. A tad top heavy to my mind, but I like the idea.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

I'd think that exhaust gas impingment on the verticals would
be problematic.

Stratos

A search for pics gave no result. Any ide aof where to find pics of theat "devil" Canberra?

PR19_Kit

I'll scan it and post it on here, the hell with copyright.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Stratos

Thanks a lot mate! Really apreciatted.

PR19_Kit

Oh rats!  :banghead:

It wasn't a twin tailed Canberra, it was a TEE-tailed Canberra. So sorry to raise your hopes and then dash them.

Model by Rod Ulrich, pic by Chris Ayre.

Regards
Kit

RAFF-35

Jon raises a good point of the jet wash interference  :-\ unless you have a 'V' twin tail a la Henschel-132
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

kitnut617

Quote from: Flyer on January 28, 2017, 10:38:54 AM
I like the look of the T tail, not keen on the Bristol Bloodhounds though, they look like they would be far too heavy to carry at the wingtips. :-\

Are they even a air launched weapon?

IIRC, in the BSP Hypersonics and Missiles volume, the Bloodhound derived from a very large AIM missile OOPS wrong way around. There was an AIM developed from the Bloodhound called One Club C (page 116 in the BSP book). Mind you the AIM version didn't have all the boosters and tail fins that are attached to the boosters. It was maybe twice as big as a Red Dean and supposed to be launched from a Vulcan.

EDIT:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

The Bloodhound weighed about 2 tons on launch, so I hope they re-stressed that Canberra's wings!  :o

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 28, 2017, 12:20:39 PM
The Bloodhound weighed about 2 tons on launch, so I hope they re-stressed that Canberra's wings!  :o

New clamshell outer wing structure milled from huge 80mm alloy planks.  ;D

Stratos

PR19 thanks anyway, that one is interesting too, but I really have a thing for twin tailed birds.

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 28, 2017, 12:20:39 PM

Didn't Spackman Enterprises sell them the unobtainium they needed for the spars?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet