Caudron Renault C.714 "Cyclone"

Started by strobez, November 27, 2016, 07:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Gotta love a cutie with a big booty!   ;D ;D ;D

Hell yeah, wheels, props, antennae, gear doors, etc.. I always save them til dead last. In fact, if a kit comes with guns or aerials or antennas and stuff already molded onto the pieces... may as well snap them off in the very beginning and save the hassle.

This here is taking shape nicely!
-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

Ok, so the first round of camouflage is going on.  First to do a little fuzzy edged paper masking. I've seen this done, but it's my first time to try it... I hope it works!

Alright... so that seemed to work out alright.  I managed to snap one of the prop blades off again, but otherwise unscathed.  The paper on the top of the engine was a bit looser than the rest and gave a lighter camouflage band, but since I'm going to do one more layer, I think I can cover that up.

His side looks alright... however (speaking of bits snapping off) while reviewing the instructions for the wheel assembly (which will be a bit trickier since I covered up the guide post holes), I noticed that I seemed to be missing a pilot tube.  A quick review of my own "out of the box" pic compared to another online confirms it snapped off in the box.  Luckily i caught the problem in time, so I drilled a hole and a bit of stretched sprue is waiting with the wheel assembly piece waiting to do its duty as a pilot tube stand-in. ;)
Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

Damn that's looking good!  I think the term you are searching for is pitot tube though.  lol   Spellcheck doesn't seem to like it..  Go figure! 

I'm about to try the same method of paper mask. I'm a bit confused about how I want to do the fuselage parts (wings are two dimensional like the paper but the fuselage is not so it's making me gears smoke) but seeing yours has me with some tips on how to do it.
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

strobez

Famous last words...  :o

Suffered a bit of a setback.  :banghead:I used some sticky paper to mask the second camouflage coat... I thought I took enough of the tackiness off before I applied it, but guess not. Pulling it off left quite a mess. I was able to get the glue off with just a bit of water and some gentle rubbing, but it left me with a weathered look to the paint. I was going to do that anyway, so no real problem, however it also ended fogging my canopy somehow. I'm a bit picky about how the canopy looks, so I declared a "do-over", but that means another round of masking - properly this time! To add insult to injury, when I was installing the landing gear, I ended up poking a tiny hole through the wing... not even noticeable, but large enough to let a mess of gluey sprue juice squirt through onto my paint job. Luckily it's pretty localized, so a tiny bit of gentle sanding, a carefully placed camouflage template and a careful bit of painting should get me back on track. Sigh...

Another round of masking... it seems so innocent now, but little did I know that sticky paper was going to cause me a nightmare...

Ok, so the camouflage itself worked fine...  too bad I had to pull out the canopy. I think it will be worth it though.

Look at that splotch... gah. Luckily I think I can mask my way out of trouble.. famous last words.

The underside shows more of the weathering... uhm... is it still called weathering if it's completely by accident? I think it is if you say it is!  :rolleyes:
Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AXU

Old Wombat

That's looking good! :thumbsup:

Quote from: strobez on December 19, 2016, 08:09:33 AM
The underside shows more of the weathering... uhm... is it still called weathering if it's completely by accident? I think it is if you say it is!  :rolleyes:

Of course it is! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

63cpe

That's a good looking camo job you did there! Your weathering technic is pretty interesting! Luv it! :wub:

David

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 20, 2016, 06:55:25 AM
That's looking good! :thumbsup:

Quote from: strobez on December 19, 2016, 08:09:33 AM

Of course it is! ;D

Just accept that if you ever try to do it deliberately it won't work.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"