Caudron Renault C.714 "Cyclone"

Started by strobez, November 27, 2016, 07:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Nice work.  :thumbsup:

BTW Caudron exaggerated the relationship between their racers and their 710 series light-weight fighters,
in both directions.
Marketing never sleeps.  :banghead: ;D

scooter

Quote from: strobez on November 27, 2016, 07:14:38 PM
Ok, I decided that late or not, I'm going to jump in to the OKGB as well.  So here's the project outline -

The Setting: 1950 - The Kingdom of Asran, a small desert country you've never heard of in the Middle East.

In late 1949, when the Old King of Asran died, his final wish was that the royal succession would by-pass his elder, progressive-minded son, Abdel in favour of his more moderate/conservative second son, Zak.  This sparked an all-out civil war, with the loyalists  - those respecting the dead king's wishes and the need to retain conservative values in a tumultuous changing post-WWII world - on one side, and the Anti-Government Forces - those seeking the progressive development of Asran's oil-field reserves with the backing of nameless Soviet-block outside interests - on the other.  As a small but wealthy nation, the rightful government of Asran recruits a mercenary airforce - made up of ne'er-do-wells with sketchy pasts but superior aerial combat skills - to supplement their regular forces.

I was about to say, Area 88 for the main plot.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

strobez

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 04, 2016, 11:13:24 AM
Nice work.  :thumbsup:

BTW Caudron exaggerated the relationship between their racers and their 710 series light-weight fighters,
in both directions.
Marketing never sleeps.  :banghead: ;D

It would seem that marketing might have been the only positive to come out of the fighter plane side of the equation. I quite like the look of the Caudron C.714, but the fact that it was relegated to free Polish squadrons that were "more brave than effective" (to quote an online kit review) is too bad. Still... if you can't have substance, at least have style I guess. ;)
Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Quote from: scooter on December 04, 2016, 11:58:27 AM
I was about to say, Area 88 for the main plot.

Yep. As I said, I figured I'd double-down on my projects. I've sketched out the full scope (more or less) of my Area 88 what if project here.
Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Interior primed, wings glued and gun pods extended... front cowl needs more putty and sanding.

Details added to the wheel well.

Cockpit painting and details done!

For basically a 100% scratch-built cockpit, I'm pretty happy.

Cockpit glued to the side of the fuselage.
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

The underwing gun fairings are intriguing and have got me thinking...

Looking very good so far.  Hard to believe that cockpit. :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

That's some damn fine work if you ask me!! I love the attention to details and the craftsmanship. Looks like some pro level stuff in my book.   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 10, 2016, 04:00:33 PM

Looking very good so far.  Hard to believe that cockpit. :thumbsup:

Having built this kit (as a float plane) very much so  :thumbsup: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

strobez

Thanks guys! Having to build the entire cockpit was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. I'm just hoping I can see this through to the end now! Since the cockpit was done, I decided to glue the fuselage together. It wasn't easy to get everything aligned, butI hope I got close enough. Before I buttoned it up, I added some card stock to the inside of the engine cowl to prevent see-through via the slots I cut. I also added it inside the air intake.

Of course, now the she's glued together, I added a fair bit of putty to close the gaps.

Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Added pla-paper to cover the slightly raised panels and recreate the slotbehind the engine.

Panels attached on the underside too. Added the gun barrels but they promptly fell off. Serves me right for not measuring them beforehand anyway.

Primed and ready... for more putty/sanding. Basically happy with how the slot behind the engine worked out. Almost exactly as I planned it.

The raised panels have rivets scribed on them. It's subtle, but I think it looks good.

I knew those propeller blades were going to cause me trouble... 2/3 fell off.

Still needs some work... but not as much as I thought before the primer hid some of it.

The top side looks pretty good. Only minor adjustments needed.
Thanks!

Greg

Old Wombat

Different & interesting. :blink:

I'm watching! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

Alright... so I cut the canopy. There's no turning back now. I hope this works.

Used my rivet wheel to add some details around the canopy...

...but the problem with wheels is that they have a tendency to roll. Like away from you... and quickly.

Added the first undercoat of black pre-shading. The airbrush started spitting on me a bit, but I'm not sure why.

Things got a bit out of control on the underside, but I think I can work with it.
Thanks!

Greg

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

This is looking awesome! Coming together like a set of butt cheeks!
-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

Of course, buttcheeks were exactly the look I was going for! Nice work to pick up on that.;)

Anyway, I finally got some paint down. The complex masking on the windscreen was a bit tricky, so we'll see how that turns out.
Started out with some desert camouflage colours.  I've also got some ideas for some decals, but I'll save that for the "big reveal".

I painted the underside the same grey as the cockpit. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the wheels, but that can wait a bit... I always seem to snap them off when I try and get them installed too soon.
Thanks!

Greg