Chris builds yet another Hurricane

Started by NARSES2, May 01, 2016, 07:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

First the obligatory box and sprue shot. This is the basic boxing of the kit with just the one markings option and without the parts to make the early 2 bladed propeller version, my favourite one.

Managed to get some work done on Friday which enabled me to get all the innards painted and assembled. Didn't go overboard with the cockpit just paint and some seatbelts from tape.

By lunch today I'd got her basically assembled. I've built a few of these, and have a few more to build, so I know where you are best getting out of step with the insructions and a couple of places where super glue and kicker are your friend. I must admit I don't like the "over hanging" bottom wing, which is apparently authentic ?, and I sand it so it's even, looks better. Had a slight problem with the radiator on this kit which I've not had before but it was soon sorted.

So hopefully start paint tomorrow. Going to be a push as I lose 2 days with hospital appointments, but we shall see.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Alleycat 1/72 tin wing resin conversion due in a couple of weeks, Chris.

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

It's out I think. I have a couple of builds planned that could benefit from it. Including my Czech one based on Panther's profile  :wub:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Think you'll get there Chris, you know this kit like the back of your hand. :thumbsup:  Good luck with the hospital appointments.

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 01, 2016, 07:47:47 AM
By lunch today I'd got her basically assembled. I've built a few of these, and have a few more to build, so I know where you are best getting out of step with the insructions and a couple of places where super glue and kicker are your friend. I must admit I don't like the "over hanging" bottom wing, which is apparently authentic ?

One of those quirks that often gets dismissed in reviews.  The Defiant has a similar thing, the trailing edge is often judged to be 'thick' but the real thing was blunt so it's correct (they've carried on to the aileron though, and that should be sharp.  It's very difficult to see from photos as the wing is low to the ground so most people miss it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

It's the same with Gloster Javelin kits. I've seen 'reviews' that comment on the '....over thick trailing edges....' where the reviewer had obviously never seen a real Javelin. The RW trailing edges are 2-3" thick!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Well painting has started and I've discovered that Humbrol 90 aerosol is not the same colour as Humbrol 90 in a tub !  :banghead: It is almost the same as Xtracrylic Sky however  ;D

While building this I've used super glue + talc for filler for the first time. With the aid of Zip Kicket it's instant and for small jobs I'm impressed  :thumbsup: Looks like I'll be hitting the £1 Store for super glue (5 for a £1) and cheap talc  ;D

The Wooksta!

Keep the superglue in the fridge.  It lasts longer but be warned that the cheap superglue tends to set in the tube afore ye can use it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 02, 2016, 07:38:02 AM
Keep the superglue in the fridge.  It lasts longer but be warned that the cheap superglue tends to set in the tube afore ye can use it.

I've had some of the £1 store thin stuff for ages Lee and had no problems with it, touch wood. I have had problems with the cheaper versions of the thicker stuff however

Mossie

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 02, 2016, 07:39:48 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 02, 2016, 07:38:02 AM

I've had some of the £1 store thin stuff for ages Lee and had no problems with it, touch wood. I have had problems with the cheaper versions of the thicker stuff however

I've had a few problems too, usually sets very hard and extremely difficult to sand, I've ruined at least two kits with it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Coming along quickly ! love that box art  :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Just spotted the pink nail varnish on the tips, Radish has been influencing you.... :party:

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on May 03, 2016, 01:09:25 AM
Just spotted the pink nail varnish on the tips, Radish has been influencing you.... :party:

Yup, they are yellow now though  ;D

NARSES2

Managed to get the rest of the main painting done after I got back from hospital Tuesday (eye injection) but no progress yesterday as at hospital all day having  some pre procedure consultation. Got a "invasive" examination in early June. Feeling a little ropey today so no progress. Hopefully transfes tomorrow.

NARSES2

Got transfers on her and they all went down well, thank goodness. So varnishing and finishing tomorrow and Sunday a.m.

NARSES2

Now't on telly last night until I got into Henry VI part I which was brilliant  :bow: So I got this finished before it kicked off

3rd Squadron A.V.G. Hurricane Rangoon October 1941.

When the A.V.G.volunteers arrived in Rangoon July 1941 it was discovered that not all of their P.40's had arrived as one of the ships transporting them had been severely delayed with boiler problems. Therefore some ex R.A.F. Hurricane Mk I's origionally intended for the R.N.E.I.A.F. were supplied to the A.V.G. for training purposes. When the remaining P.40's arrived these were kept on by the 3rd Squadron based in Rangoon as spare aircraft as most of the P.40's had been sent north with the 1st and 2nd Squadrons. Some were actually used in action during Japanese air raids on Rangoon, indeed some actually claimed kills. This then is one of those aircraft. I've always wondered what a shark's mouth would look like on a Hurricane and now I know. It goes quite well.

Kit is the Airfix one, paints are mainly Xtracolor and the Transfers come from a Sky Decals P.40 sheet. I find these Sky sheets incredible value for money as they supply so many options You don't get many of the major national markings included, you certainly get the more unusual ones, but most people have those anyway.