Fairchild A-10B Sea Hog

Started by McColm, September 09, 2014, 08:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
In the real world there were no orders for a maritime/naval version of the A-10 Thunderbolt II. Although Fairchild did build a two seat version as a night all weather NAW.
The USAF did place an order for the two seater but it was cancelled and only the single seat built.
It would be easy just build the kit straight from the box and finish in navy colours, but I was thinking of adding the gun from the single seater. This would mean buying two kits, I know Academy do both in 1/72 and 1/48, there are after-market kits to enhance the cockpit and exterior.
As this is the Sea Hog an arrester hook and folding wings. I have seen the Hawkeye with its wings folded and know there is a resin kit in 1/72 scale, whether or not something along those lines would be feasible. The inflight refueling probe could come from a Sea Harrier or A-6 Intruder.
I'm tempted to build a 1/48 version and change the cockpit layout to that of the F-18. I haven't seen any Sea Eagle missiles only Harpoons, rockets and air-to-air, Maverick and iron bombs.
What do you think?

Go4fun

Pirate fast boats and small ships would come to fear the Sea Hog in short order plus it would allow CVBGs to have a close support option better than what is now available. Arrester hook and stronger landing gear are a must and for the wings think about the swivel and fold back option.
I like it. I like it a lot.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Captain Canada

Quote from: Flyer on September 09, 2014, 06:26:54 PM
There is a pic of a Hog on this site somewhere with double fold wings and a fold up tail IIRC, I'll sea ;D if I can find it...

TeeHee...I mean, Booo !

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a plan, Stan

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Have the wings fold up then back like the old Wildcats.
The 30mm gun was considered by many as a very effective anti ship weapon. A burst hitting the waterline on one of todays ships would cause a lot of problems.
I have heard it said that the Marines turned down the A-10 because it didn't leak enough hydraulic fluid. ;D
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Trumpeter do a 1/32 scale, HobbyBoss do 1/48 and EasyModel or something with a similar sounding name do a 1/72 version.
All show the cannon fitted.
Which now begs the question what if the cannon was removed and a radar housed in the nose. Retain the under wing pylons and add a few over the wing pylons for missiles.
The wings could be extended and a SLAR pod carried on the central fuselage pylon. A mini- U2.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Flyer on September 09, 2014, 06:26:54 PM
There is a pic of a Hog on this site somewhere with double fold wings and a fold up tail IIRC, I'll sea ;D if I can find it...

I know which one you mean - not too old, from 2012 or 2013, and IIRC an external pic.

pyro-manic

Indeed. A podded radar under one wing (or scabbed onto the front of one of the wheel fairings) would be a good idea.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

comrade harps

Something like these wings on a hog seen (more than once) at the Melbourne Model Expo:
1/48 Tamiya'Naval' A-10 Warthog
By Craig Murray

Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

Yup, that's the one! Thanks a lot for digging it out again!  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Looks like it would fit nicely in a handy sized box.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

JayBee

I knew I had this photo somewhere.
All I can say is that it is 1/144scale and was seen at SMW 2012.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!