CAC 'Flinders'

Started by Glenn, September 20, 2004, 07:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Built to replace the ageing Lancasters' the CAC developed this 'Stop-gap' costal surveillance aircraft. Using the Lancaster as a base, the wing was mounted further back, for the new landing gear. Seen here, flying over North Queensland.
RAAF photo 0183492/34

Model:    1/144th Crown Avro Lancaster. (modified)
Colour Scheme: Humbrol 127 Satin Grey.

Tophe

Quotethe wing was mounted further back, for the new landing gear.
Do you mean : no tail wheel but a nose wheel?
Here in flight, the balance seems difficult (but I am not an engineer, Evan will tell us). I would have understood the balance as a flying wing, without tailplanes anymore, here I just wonder if that would fly... Well, no matter, as far as I am concerned - I am not a pilot as well, and I just like pretty objects, beautiful pictures, like your ones, Glenn Lyn. :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

elmayerle

It proabably would've made more sense to extend the fuselage forward of the wing if you were going for a tri-gear aircraft.  As I remember, Boeing looked at a high-wing, tricycle-geared B-17 derivative, but decided they gained nothinrg (there's a 3-view in the Putnam book).  

Having said all that, let me offer my compliments on a job well done and a good photo to boot.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

nev

Beautiful as ever Glenn  :wub:  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

Very nice Glenn. What engines did you replace the Merlins with?? BTW, I like the Lanci n that grey. It looks very appropriate.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Sisko

Hey Glen that looks great full marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the back drop  :wub:  :wub:

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Captain Canada

Nice looking model, and too right, the Mighty Lanc does look good in gray !

My favourite, tho, are the French Aeronavale ones.....Mmmmmmm :wub:

Great photography again, Lyn ! But, I must say, the Lanc sure looks funny with it's wing  like that !

Cheers !

Toadman
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Glenn

Seen here, taking off from Darwin Air Base.

The Radar blister on the under belly was a canopy from a 1/72sc. Me-262A, and the U/C legs from a 1/144th He-111H, and the wheels from a Hasagawa 1/72 USAF weapons' trollies set.
                        Glenn/Lyn

Davey B

Gorgeous :wub:  :wub:

And the radar equipment in the back would probably balance the changed centre of lift!