Operation Telic Gnat GR.4

Started by Model Mutt, January 15, 2013, 07:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Mutt

Started out as the airfix gnat and built as per the instructions apart from the jaguar nose and laser designator in the fuel tank. Also fitted a refuelling probe so it had more loiter time. The idea is that its a small light aircraft used purely as a laser designator for other aircraft carrying LGBs so they don´t have to sacrifice space or weight carrying a designator.

Only got a few more decals to add, canopy to paint, unndercarraige to fit and details to be painnted then this will be complete.

Thanks for looking

TallEng

Looks Good! :thumbsup:
Although I thought the Jaguar "chisel" nose contains a lazer designator?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

perttime

The nose fits!

Do you have any other canopies that might fit. I fear the usual Gnat canopy might look a bit wimpy near that square jaw  ;D

Model Mutt

Thanks guys, I added the designator on the tank as an update when the refuelinng probe was fitted as there´d be less space in the nose for the equiment (or i forgot the jaguar nose had a built in designator  ;) ) Not sure cannopy wise as i started this one this morning so not looked at replacing the canopy.

Mossie

Budget cuts biting again???  Very nice. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

deathjester

Brilliant work so far!  Really like to see more use out of the Gnat, and the colour scheme really suits - it'd be darn near invisible at medium altitude!

IIRC, the Jaguar had a Laser Rangefinder/Marked Target Seeker in the nose.

Model Mutt

Thanks, got another two maybe 3 planned when i can get hold of the kits, bits and decals i need to build them.

Dizzyfugu

That's a nice idea for the two-seater. Well done  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Awesome. Love the look of this one. Not a big fan of the Gnat ( mind you, I've never seen one, never built one and really don't know much about them ! ) but this one looks wicked. Love the integrated pod, great idea.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rheged

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 16, 2013, 01:12:21 PM
Awesome. Love the look of this one. Not a big fan of the Gnat ( mind you, I've never seen one, never built one and really don't know much about them ! ) but this one looks wicked.

I'd not seen a Gnat "in the flesh"  until I encountered one at Cosford.  Number 2 son (6 foot 5 inches tall) was also there and  asked was there a  a maximum height for pilots, and did you strap into it  or wear it?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

dadlamassu

Very nice, good idea to use a two seater as the mount for the Forward Air Controller. 

Might use the idea in my Fictional African Wargame air forces.  Though I think I'd probably kit it out with some sort of light weaponry like a MG pod or smoke rocket launchers to mark the target.  Laser guided weapons are probably beyond the budget of the air forces.