Messerschmitt Me 510 A-2/U5 "Bremse"; 8./JG26, Flensburg; summer 1946

Started by Dizzyfugu, November 06, 2012, 12:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

I'll add another one, a Luft '46 fantasy aircraft. This one was done while I waited for about 4 weeks for the new Griffon engines for my Corsair S(AW).1 conversion. The idea for this one had been lurking in the project pile for a while: the turboprop-driven Me 510!

1:72 Messerschmitt Me 510 A-2/U5 "Bremse"; 8./JG26, Flensburg; summer 1946 (Luft '46/whif/kitbashing) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some Background:
The Messerschmitt Me 510 was a further development of the Me 410 Hornisse ("Hornet"), a German heavy fighter and Schnellbomber used by the Luftwaffe during World War II. The 410 itself had a troubled start, because it essentially had only been a straightforward modification of the Me 210, which had suffered from serious stability flaws and a bad reputation among its crews.

The 410 was more or less a 210 with different wings. It handled better but did not show much improvement in performance, though. Me 410 deliveries began in January 1943, two years later than the original plan had called for, and continued until September 1944, by which point a total of 1.160 of all versions had been produced by Messerschmitt Augsburg and Dornier München. When it arrived, it was liked by its crews, even though its performance was not enough to protect it from the swarms of high performance allied fighters they faced.

1:72 Messerschmitt Me 510 A-2/U5 "Bremse"; 8./JG26, Flensburg; summer 1946 (Luft '46/whif/kitbashing) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Still not giving up on the original construction (and with the jigs and tools still available), Messerschmitt started in early 1944 with research into further means of improving the Me 410's performance.
One direction was the addition of one or two jets under the fuselage as boosters for combat situations. Another design path, which was eventually chosen, was the use of turboprop and compound engines as main propulsion option. These engines under development at the time were based on the respective pure jet engines. They offered much better field performance and fuel economy than the pure jets, though, which held much (more) promise in the long run.
Using only a single engien type would also be the more efficient solution compared to added turbojets to pure piston planes, since no dead weight had to be carried and the overall system was less complex than with mixed powerplants.

The turboprop concept was finally chosen by the Messerschmitt design team, since it offered the best compromise between performance and short-term readiness for service, and the respectively modified aircraft, called Messerschmitt Me 510, came to be. The design target was to outperform the Me 410 with as little change to the overall construction as possible, so that old tooling could be used for new aircraft cells. Alternatively, it was even planned to convert old Me 410 airframes to the improved standard.

Core of the Me 510 development was the compact HeS 021 turboprop, a PTL development of the HeS 011 jet engine which was also planned for Focke Wulfs FW P.0310226-127 fighter (a turboprop version of the light 'Flitzer' day fighter). The HeS 021 engine was theoretically to deliver up to 3.300hp (2.426 kw) shaft output, plus 1.100kg (2.424 lb) additional thrust, even though serial types would produce less power under the aspect of reliability.

In order to incorporate this engine into the modified Me 410, a new main wing with laminar profile and new engine nacelles had to be designed, since a top speed in excess of 750km/h was expedted. The HeS 021 sat in the front part of new and voluminous engine nacelles above the wings, driving four-bladed propellers. The landing gear retracted into the nacelle's lower section, rotating 90°, much like the Me 410, with the exhaust running above the landing gear wells.

In order to improve directional stability further, all tail surfaces were slightly enlarged, receiving characteristic, square tips. The fuselage was more or less taken over from the original Me 410, since it offered a very good field of view and appropriate aerodynamics.
Through this simple solution the idea of retrofitting former Me 410 cells was kept, even though flight tests showed that some more detail modifications had to be made. Most of these concerned the internal structures, improving rigidity. The most obvious external change was the nose section, where the original glazing had to be reinforced and finally replaced by solid material – an experience similar to the modification from Douglas' piston-driven XB-42 to the faster, jet-driven XB-43 of the same era.

Maiden flight of the first Me 510 V1 prototype took place in Augsburg on 6th of May 1945, with little problems. The overall flying characteristics of the Me 410 did not change much, but rate of climb and top speed were considerably improved. In level flight, the third prototype Me 510 V3 reached a top speed of 812 km/h (504 mph), and even the serial version with added armament and equipment easily reached 750 km/h (465 mph) top speed and a cruising speed with no external stores of 650 km/h (405 mph). As a benchmark, the Me 410's maximum speed was 625 km/h (388 mph), it had a cruise speed of 579 km/h (360 mph) and a combat range of 2.300 km (1,400 mi) with up to 1.000 kg (2,204 lbs) of disposable stores carried in- and externally.

At its time, the Me 510, which quickly received the rather inofficial nickname "Bremse" (Horsefly), was superior to its pure piston engine and turbojet rivals, even though it was clear that the turboprop was only a preliminary solution.

Due to its high speed and under the pressure of Allied bomber raids, the Me 510 was quickly thrown into action and primarily used as a Zerstörer/heavy fighter against daylight bombers. Many aircraft received additional weapons, both directly incorporated at the factory but also as field accessories, so-called "Rüstsätze". Popular modifications included two extra 30mm guns (MK 108 or 103) in the bomb bay, or provisions for guided and unguided air to air missiles. An alternative camera equipment package (Rüstsatz 'U3') allowed the fast aircraft to be used for daylight reconnaissance.

Many equipment packages from the earlier Me 410 could be fitted, too, including the massive 50mm BK 5 auto cannon which fired at 45 RPM, with 21 shells in a drum magazine (Rüstsatz 'U4'), against allied bomber groups.

This weapon soon was replaced by the even more potent MK 214 B gun of 55mm caliber (Rüstsatz 'U5'). The BK 214 B fired at 180 RPM and proved to be a highly effective weapon at long ranges, outside of the bombers' defensive armament range.
As a drawback the heavy system (the gun plus the ammunition belt with 96 shells weighed 1.124 kg/2.475 lb) filled the whole internal bomb bay and precluded heavy external stores. Therefore, the 13mm machine guns in the nose were frequently removed in order to save weight, sometimes the weapons in the side barbettes, too. But: a single hit with one of the 1.54kg (3.4 lb) shells was enough to bring down a four-engined bomber, so that the fast Me 510 with this weapon became a serious threat in the course of late 1946.

Messerschmitt Me 510 general characteristics:
Crew: 2
Length: 42 ft (12,60 m)
Wingspan: 49 ft (14.69 m)
Height: 13 ft 1½ in (4.0 m)
Wing area: 480.11 ft² (44.78m²)
Empty weight: 10.665 lb (4.842 kg)
Loaded weight: 14.405 lb (6.540 kg)
Max. take-off weight: 18.678 lb (8.480 kg)

Maximum speed: 790 km/h (490 mph) at 7.200m (23.500 ft)
Range: 1.400 mi (2.300 km ) with full combat TOW
Service ceiling: 40.900 ft (12.500 m)
Rate of climb: 4.635 ft/min (23,6 m/s)
Wing loading: 29.8 lb/ft² (121.9 kg/m²)
Power/mass: 0.24 hp/lb (0.39 kW/kg)

Engine:
2× Heinkel-Hirth HeS 021 turboprop engines, 1.438 kW (2.500 hp) plus 980 kp (2.158 lb) residual thrust each

Armament: Varied, but typical basic equipment was:
2× 20 mm MG 151/20 cannons with 350 rpg, fixed in the nose
2× 13 mm (.51 in) MG 131 machine guns with 500 rpg in the nose flanks
2× 13 mm (.51 in) MG 131 machine guns with 500 rpg, each firing rearward from FDSL 131/1B remote-operated turret, one per side;
Up to 1.200 kg (2.643 lb) of disposable stores in- and externally

In the field, many modifications were made and several additional weapon packages with guns, guided and unguided missiles or special weapons were available (so-called 'Rüstsätze').

The kit and its assembly:
I am not certain when inspiration struck me for this fantasy aircraft - I guess it was when I tinkered together the Hü 324 whif, which was itself based on a 1:72 scale Il-28 bomber. When I browsed for a respective donation kit I also came across the 1:100 scale kit of the Soviet light bomber from Tamiya, and that stirred something: The Il-28's vintage contours would perfectly suit a Luft '46 aircraft!

With some calculations it was clear that the 1:100 wings would be suitable for something in the class of a 1:72 DH Mosquito or Bf 110. Then, the ill-fated Me 410 came to the scene as a potential late war basis aircraft, and from this starting point the idea of an evolutionary next step of the type, the Messerschmitt Me 510, was born.

1:72 Messerschmitt Me 510 A-1/U5; summer 1946 (Luft '46/whif/kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Messerschmitt Me 510 A-1/U5; summer 1946 (Luft '46/whif/kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Basically this model is a kitbashing of a Tamiya Il-28 in 1:100 (wings & engine nacelles) with the fuselage of a Matchbox Me 410, which also received new tail surfaces. The IL-28's wings were turned upside down, so that the nacelles would now ride on the wings' top. This not only looks cool and 'different', it's also plausible because the landing gear could retract into the wings under the nacelles with the main landing gear doors closed, just like the original Me 410. This arrangement would also reduce the angle of the aircraft on the ground to a sensible degree - with the engines under the wings plus the landing gear would have been much to steep!

Fitting the wings to the fuselage was basically easy, even though the original Me 410 wing profile was much thicker than the slender Il-28 wings. Cleaning and blending the wing root areas was a bit tricky, though, but the parts went together well.

As a design twist and for a uniform look I also replaced the whole tail section, matching the angular look of the thin new main wings: The horizontal stabilizers are wing tips from a Matchbox Me 262, the vertical fin is a modified outer wing part from a Matchbox Grumman Panther.

The engine nacelles were taken OOB. I just filled the Il-28's landing gear wells and their covers with putty, since they'd end on top of the new engines. The propellers come from Matchbox P-51 Mustangs, outfitted with pointed spinners and held by a long metal pin in a polystyrene tube which runs through the original intake splitter. Looks pretty martial, even though the nacelles ended up a bit close to the fuselage. The overall look reminds of the Short Sturgeon, but is not inplausible. A compact aircraft!

The cockpit received some side panels, new seats and some equipment, since the original Matchbox kit features almost nothing beyond a floor plate, two broad benches as seats and pilot figures. I also opened the cockpit hatches, since the aircraft would be built for ground display, with the landing gear extended. Unfortunately you can see now how thick the Matchbox canopy is, but, well, it's just a model...

From the original kit the BK 5 cannon installation was taken over, but I added a scratch-built, bigger muzzle brake. Since the aircraft was to become a high speed interceptor/Zerstörer for daylight operations, I did not add any further external ordnance, even though I added empty hardpoints under the wing roots.

Painting and markings:
I pondered about a potential livery for a long time. Almost any Me 410 was delivered in simple RLM 74/75/76 livery, just some at the Western front were operated in RLM 70/71/65. But I found this option pretty... boring. So I made up a fantasy livery which I found suitable for high altitude operations, based on my knowledge of late Luftwaffe paint schemes. It turned out to be pretty complex.

The aircraft was to be light in color, primarily camouflaged for aerial combat. I ended up with a scheme that was planned as something that could have almost been called 'low-viz': all lower surfaces received a basic tone of RLM 76  (Testors), partly with a raised waterline on all flanks. This light blue-grey would blend into a slightly darker FS 36320 on the flanks, almost up to the upper surfaces. I wanted to show as much light blue as possible, but in the end the flanks received more and more green and grey spots than intended, so that I ended up with a rather conservative looking result. It ain't bad at all, but so it goes...  :rolleyes:

1:72 Messerschmitt Me 510 A-1/U5; 8./JG26; Flensburg, summer 1946 (Luft '46/whif/kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Messerschmitt Me 510 A-1/U5; 8./JG26; Flensburg, summer 1946 (Luft '46/whif/kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The upper wing surfaces received a wavy scheme in RLM 71 (Dark Green) and 75 (Middle Grey), inspired by late Fw 190 fighters. RLM 71 and 75 are not typical late WWII colors, I rather used them because of their lighter shades.
On the fuselage, just the fuselage crest was painted with more or less dense blotches of these tones, blending into more patches of RLM 02 on the flanks and into the FS 36320/RLM 76. To add some more unconventional detail, the fuselage sides and undersides additionally received large, cloudy patches of RLM 77 - a very light grey. This detail was featured on some late-war He 177 bombers, but you can hardly tell these extra blotches because they have only little contrast to the RLM 76.  :-\

As squadron markings I went for late war JG26 colours - the black and white fuselage band. The red number and the "+" show that the machine belongs to the eighth Staffel.
As a special treat, the tail fin was painted all white: a formation sign for squadron leaders, another typical detail for German late WWII fighters.

In the end, the whif is IMHO not very obvious - but that's what I like about it. The new engines are only recognizable at second glance, but they change the look of the Me 410 a lot. The new wings/stabilizers with their square-shaped tips create a very slender and elegant look, the aircraft just looks fast and agile like a true heavy fighter should. Mission accomplished!

MichelC

Hey, here's real, unadulterated Luft 46 the way I like it!

Great build and great background history. I guess it's taken you some time to...er...dig up this information from the archives.  ;)

Very nicely done, contrats! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Michel

NARSES2

Always like the 410 - and that is a really nice new member of the family
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: MichelC on November 06, 2012, 02:20:29 AM

Great build and great background history. I guess it's taken you some time to...er...dig up this information from the archives.  ;)

Michel

Thank you. A great source is Ingolf Meyer's "Luftwaffe Secret Projects" book - originally published long ago in German language, but recently re-published as three separate books in English by Midland Publishing, including many drawings of the projects.
It covers almost anything about plane projects, as well as aspects like engines and weaponry. From there, the Me 510's engine and BK 214B details were taken and woven into the background. It's plausible, as far as I can tell ;)

Many thanks for the feedback.  :lol:

As a side note, there's nothing political about Luft '46 models from my side. It is just a whif genre, even though I find many ideas the engineers had pretty impressive and innovative for their time. And this here is just a free interpretation of this.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

MichelC

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 06, 2012, 02:29:35 AM
Quote from: MichelC on November 06, 2012, 02:20:29 AM

Michel

Thank you. A great source is Ingolf Meyer's "Luftwaffe Secret Projects" book - originally published long ago in German language, but recently re-published as three separate books in English by Midland Publishing, including many drawings of the projects.
It covers almost anything about plane projects, as well as aspects like engines and weaponry. From there, the Me 510's engine and BK 214B details were taken and woven into the background. It's plausible, as far as I can tell ;)

Many thanks for the feedback.  :lol:

As a side note, there's nothing political about Luft '46 models from my side. It is just a whif genre, even though I find many ideas the engineers had pretty impressive and innovative for their time. And this here is just a free interpretation of this.

Yeah, great books, those.

Your historical background in more than plausible. You know, you had me going there for a while!

Nothing political here either. Just a type of aircraft I fell in love with when I ran into som Luft 46 artwork years ago. I'd say it was love at first reich! ;D

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: MichelC on November 06, 2012, 03:10:48 AM
Just a type of aircraft I fell in love with when I ran into som Luft 46 artwork years ago. I'd say it was love at first reich! ;D

The Me 210/410 is pretty elegant - it is a very slender and "athletic" aircraft, much like the DH Hornet. It short nose also makes it look a little unusual, even slightly futuristic, and it offers room for variations (as you can see).

MichelC

I was talking about Luft 46 aircraft in general but I'm with you on the Me 410. Think the same, sexy... :wub:

Hotte

PR19_Kit

Wow, another masterpiece Thomas!  :banghead: :bow: :cheers:

Excellent stuff and on an aircraft you don't see very often too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

fightingirish

Great idea and model.  :thumbsup:

The English word "Horsefly" might be a good name for an aircraft, but the translation to the German word "Bremse" doesn't not suit quite well.
The German word "die Bremse" is mostly first translated to the English word "the brake". As a bilingual speaker I kindly recommend the words "die Wespe, the wasp" or "die Hummel, the bumblebee".  <_<

Dizzyfugu

Thanks for the input concerning the name. Actually, "Bremse" was chosen with much consideration, and I am aware that it means "brake" in English. "Wespe" was turned down since there was a famous squadron with that name (You certainly know those popular Bf 110 and also Bf 109 with the yellow wasp nose art), and "Hummel" was also rejected since it appeared too harmless. And, as a side note, a self-propelled German howitzer which was based on the Panzer IV chassis also received the inofficial nickname "Hummel" - when the top brass heard about that, they immediately forbade to use it! Hence, I thought it would hardly stand a chance on an aircraft... The horsefly was something that remained, big, fast and a big nuissance... ;)

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

jcf

Very cool.

... and case anyone (not folks here of course) doubts that turbojets were considered:

;D

Now we need a kit of the revised fuselage Me 410 D series to do the Me 510 B. ;)