A Question on possible theatre markings ?

Started by NARSES2, February 08, 2012, 07:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right I need a little help.

My first build will be a RAAF fighter bomber circa 1945 serving in Borneo. Camouflage will be foliage green/light blue but I'm wondering about theatre markings. Should she have none (as per Beaufighters in theatre), the SW Pacific white tail and white stripes on the wings, white bands as per SEAC or possibly something else ? I should add she will be in the paint shop next week

Any suggestions to do with her markings gratefully received....so turn off and go to bed now Dunc  :wacko:

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

perttime

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/989/81/1

I like CA-13 "Phooey", 4 Sqn, RAAF
"This aircraft had a picture of Donald Duck to the rear of the word 'Phooey' on the cowl while at Labuan, North Borneo middle 1945. It crashed at Labuan strip 29 July 1945."

NARSES2

Quote from: perttime on February 08, 2012, 08:57:06 AM

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/989/81/1

I like CA-13 "Phooey", 4 Sqn, RAAF
"This aircraft had a picture of Donald Duck to the rear of the word 'Phooey' on the cowl while at Labuan, North Borneo middle 1945. It crashed at Labuan strip 29 July 1945."

Confirms the no ID markings for Borneo as well. I may just go down that route and see what personalised markings I have in the box. Plus I've been to Labuan  :thumbsup:

Quote from: JayBee on February 08, 2012, 07:50:17 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 08, 2012, 07:42:13 AM
Right I need a little help.

Chris

Understatement of the decade  :wacko:

There's always one  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

On here there are many.  And you know who they are.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

thedarkmaster

I think from a pure logistics point of view the only paint units might have in quantity would be white and black, don't see why it shouldn't be the same as Europe its not as if it would confuse the enemy at all  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Old Wombat

But NO RED DOTS! :o

Otherwise some half-crazed, malaria-ridden ack-ack gunner might just mistake you for a Japanese & blow you out of the sky! :wacko:

(Interesting, the auto-censor wont lit me keep the word J_a_p, converting it to Japanese when I save.)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Actually, I do believe it would have carried the white tail.   That was adopted after ground troops kept firing on radial engined aircraft in mistake for them being Japanese.   So, I'd suggest that a P-47 would definitely have carried them if in RAAF service.   The P-43 Lancers didn't though, so it wasn't universal by any means.  You might find this online book worth perusing, Chris.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on February 09, 2012, 03:30:19 PM
Actually, I do believe it would have carried the white tail.   That was adopted after ground troops kept firing on radial engined aircraft in mistake for them being Japanese.   So, I'd suggest that a P-47 would definitely have carried them if in RAAF service.   The P-43 Lancers didn't though, so it wasn't universal by any means. 

Thanks. First thoughts involved a white tail I must admit. I know the Aussies had a few P-43's (inc. a PR variant) but did they serve outside of Australia ?

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 10, 2012, 08:24:37 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on February 09, 2012, 03:30:19 PM
Actually, I do believe it would have carried the white tail.   That was adopted after ground troops kept firing on radial engined aircraft in mistake for them being Japanese.   So, I'd suggest that a P-47 would definitely have carried them if in RAAF service.   The P-43 Lancers didn't though, so it wasn't universal by any means. 

Thanks. First thoughts involved a white tail I must admit. I know the Aussies had a few P-43's (inc. a PR variant) but did they serve outside of Australia ?

No idea, sorry.  I have a dim memory of reading somewhere they didn't.  They used P-38s/F-5 (?I think thats the PR version) over the islands late in the war.  The P-43s were very much a stop gap and more than likely never served outside Oz.  In either case they only had a handful of either.  They mainly used Mosquitoes.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

MilitaryAircraft101

IIRC the P-43s were used for some Photo-Recon outside Oz, but that's about it. I do know that the Dewoitine D.520 for a fact didn't carry the white tail while operating with the RAAF in the Pacific  :wacko: :wacko:

NARSES2

Cheers lads. Painting begines this week, so I think she will have a white tail and feathers

Geoff

I would go with white tail and wing stripes on the main wings.