My thoughts and what's on the workbench.

Started by McColm, January 11, 2012, 02:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Tuesday 20th September 2022

Whilst I was watching the Queen being laid to rest on the BBC curtesy of YouTube as I haven't got a TV set at the moment I had a go at whiffing my own version of the BAe 146 AEW & C in what I think is 1/72 scale using the wooden airliner display model of the 'Flybe' British European Airways. The rotodome is from the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye. This did have a stand but I managed to break it beyond repair, so I had to reposition the tail flaps. This will be getting a new paint scheme and a name at a later date.

McColm

Saturday 24th September 2022

I've finally made down to my last four kits; 1/72 ATB Revell's version of what they thought the B-2 stealth bomber would look like,  1/72 Airfix BAC TSR2, 1/72 F-14A and a 1/50 resin Eurofighter two seater Typhoon with conformal fuel tanks. There's no landing gear included and the majority of the parts are there.
Apparently the Sidemen vs YouTube All Stars Charity match is being held at Charlton Athletic Football club, I can hear it all from my bedroom window.

McColm

Monday 3rd October 2022

Two sessions at fitness centre on the gym machines is leaving me really tired, so I have decided to only do the one on Fridays. The willpower is there but my body is telling me a different story. 15 minutes warm up on the treadmill, that's me knackered before I even start. Light weights at 10 minutes intervals well at least I get to sit down and then the exercise bike to finish.
I usually take a day to recover and I have been experimenting with the South East Asia camouflage scheme worn by the USAF on the Avro Lincoln GR.5. The colours aren't quite the same so it could be somewhere  tropical.
Sanding keeps me busy with ideas for my next builds and Group Build subjects.

McColm

It's been a while since my last post. More blood tests with a few more to attend. My doctor is trying to find out why I feel so tired,  my aches and pains from the pulmonary embolisms should have stopped by now including the sleeping disorder plus the other side effects.
Once again I have run out of supplies, so it's just sanding or building the Matchbox HP Victor AEW.5. I've used the canopy glazing from the kit,I can fill the gaps in when the putty arrives. The build is going well, either I'm getting better or there's a catch waiting to trip me up later on.
November seems to be an interesting month, I might buy a roasting tray and test out the oven although cleaning it afterwards might be a problem. Christmas this year will be planned as last minute food shopping, last year was a disaster.
I hope to get some racking up in my hobby room as my strength is returning some much D.I.Y. around the place. A set of paint brushes and a roller, white walls are okay but it's lacking a bit of colour.
Besides it will be good exercise for me.
On the movie side I have started to watch the Star Wars films in sequence starting with number 1,I'm up to number 4. Just waiting for Darth Vader to tell Luke that Harry Potter is his son or is that Gandoff well the plot is very similar 🤔.

Pellson

Keep the spirits up, Stephen! While not a smooth ride, it still seems to me you're improving albeit slowly.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

Quote from: Pellson on October 18, 2022, 02:11:26 AMKeep the spirits up, Stephen! While not a smooth ride, it still seems to me you're improving albeit slowly.  :thumbsup:
Thanks Pellson :thumbsup:

McColm

Thursday 20th October 2022

I've decided to withdraw my idea of kitbashing the 1/72 Revell Northrop ATB model into a freighter with a Speedpak. I think the airliner concept is a better option. Although most of the passengers wouldn't get a window seat as such they would have one in the roof or up the front end. I can paint the windows in.
I'm going to invest in an humidifier as it gets so warm during the night from the neighbour's flats below, the council will send out a plumber to fit new valves to the two radiators that don't turn off. The one in the hall,  my bedroom and the bathroom are all turned off. I have tried using bowls of cold water but they tend to dry out overnight.
The RAF Museum at Hendon, now has it's gift shop online which is good. I still intend to visit it as I haven't been back since the model show. As my mobility improves there's so many places that I would like to visit. Covent Gardens would be a good starting point, the Transport Museum.
Hogwarts in the snow is another place to visit but it's becoming too expensive, so I can create my own scenery. Once I have my model railway layout sorted out.
I have two opticians appointments one with Vision Express and the other at King's College Hospital in November.
 I usually have problems building the Matchbox HP Victor K2 but everything seems to have gone to plan. The ekranoplan is going well which has led to a discovery of using the V shaped fuselage of a flying boat and turning it on it's side this creates a platform. I will try this out on the Magestic.
There's plenty of sanding to do on the other builds.
I would like to thank all those Whifferters who have been of help on the MPC Daytona Race Car Transporter.  Thanks  :thumbsup:

McColm

Monday 21st November 2022

The question whether or not a 1/72 Revell Avro Shackleton MR.3 can be kitbashed with the Lockheed Neptune has finally become a reality. Previous attempts have led to frustration, however the tail end of the Neptune is roughly the same width as the rear end of the Shackleton. I just made the cut before the twin tail fins. I would have used the rear tail wheel but this has snapped off and a suitable replacement found.
The Shackleton retains it's inner Rolls-Royce engines, a pair removed from the BAC Black Crow ER.1 along with the turbojets and glued in place under the wings.
The Shackleton retains the Avro Lincoln nose and gains a radome under the chin not the AEW in the AEW.2 kit. Everything is taped up so it can dry overnight.
Still quite a lot of sanding to be done on various projects, yes I know but 2023-2024 should have a few builds finally finished and there's four kits to be built depending if they have all their parts and if I can get some racking put up or shelves. As my fitness improves the urge for some DIY work and a change of colour from the white walls.
 I hope that Father Christmas gives me a hoover and a steam press ,an electric 00 gauge train set and a large baking tray. As my flat doesn't have a chimney or even a fire place just leave them by my front door.

McColm

Wednesday 30th November 2022

I'm off to a appointment at the Ophthalmology Eye Suite at King's College Hospital this morning.
Further research into how long does it take to recover from multiple pulmonary embolisms has concluded 1-2 years depending on the circumstances.  So the panic attacks,  fatigue, depression and insomnia are staying with me for a bit longer. Fortunately I don't get depressed as there's always something to do and look forward to.
There's questions that need an explanation but so far I haven't been able to get a decent answer.
I can only get better, fitter and stronger. My modelling skills have improved although I still make the odd schoolboy mistake occasionally. Sanding, sanding and more sanding will it never end.
I say this every year that I won't buy any more kits as I need to finish the started builds,  some get recycled as kitbashers others stripped of their parts which is a good thing as being on benefits really does restrict my spending. As for the spare parts boxes they are being depleted of parts which is another good thing.

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on November 29, 2022, 11:00:06 PMFortunately I don't get depressed as there's always something to do and look forward to.

That's a hell of a bonus  :thumbsup:  It's far to easy to get depressed just by feeling a little sorry for yourself and just sitting around doing nothing.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 30, 2022, 12:09:16 AM
Quote from: McColm on November 29, 2022, 11:00:06 PMFortunately I don't get depressed as there's always something to do and look forward to.

That's a hell of a bonus  :thumbsup:  It's far to easy to get depressed just by feeling a little sorry for yourself and just sitting around doing nothing.
I have just got back from the hospital with a bag full of eye drops and eye washes, they want to see me again in 6 weeks time. I have known a few people who suffer from depression and I don't want to go down that dark route.

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on November 30, 2022, 08:38:51 AMI have known a few people who suffer from depression and I don't want to go down that dark route.

Not wanting to go down it is 3/4's of the battle  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Wednesday 14th December 2022

It's no good I'm going to have to tidy up my work bench,  I'm sure I put the stand of the Revell Tradewind on it and now I can't find it. I didn't know that a layer of paint would alter the balance  of the build.
I keep finding more kits which is good in a way not complete but they come in very handy.
It was around this time when I moved into my council flat, it was completely empty. Cold without any heating and hot water.
Has a year really passed, looking around yes there's still plenty of furniture I need to get mostly side tables and lamps. It's homily, unlike the mad dash to the shops and finding them bare or that they have run out of food on  Christmas eve, I'll do it on the 23rd instead.
I haven't had a TV dinner in ages, that's me sorted.
As you can see I have been busy, the Revell 1/200 Boeing SST awaiting paint,  the Revell  Tradewind and the BAC/Boeing Mystic.

McColm

Sunday 18th December 2022

Well that's me done for 2022, no more cardiac gym sessions until the new year. I've come a long way since I joined back in October. My sleep has improved but my body doesn't seem to be as tired from the gym sessions only from the housework. Probably using different muscles.
The year is nearly over, just going over the things to list for 2022. No didn't touch the surface, one or two goals.
2023 the age of discovery
As my stamina improves I can get out more, tick off a few more 'things to do '.
Seasonal greetings to one and all.

NARSES2