Author Topic: Nick's Notes  (Read 15309 times)

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Nick's Notes
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2019, 02:59:50 pm »
I put another coat of yellow on and it looks better. Will need a couple more IMHO.

I've sorted out several kits for sale at Telford this year, will be offering them on here first. Quite a lot of biggies - Airbus 380, XB-70, 1/48 Hawk & Gnat Red Arrows set. Even found a Snoopy Telescope! https://mustsharenews.com/snoopy-nasa-happy-meal/

There will be some books too, mostly of military history.
Longest Winter - Alex Kershaw
Fly Navy - Alvin Townley
Flight By Elephant - Andrew Martin
On the Deck or In The Drink - Brian Allen
Most Secret War - RV Jones
Compleat Discworld Atlas - Sir Terry Pratchett

Not in a great mood today. Last month I applied for a new job at work. Today I worked out that I'm not getting it by the fact that a guy I work with is getting an interview and I haven't heard a thing of my application.  :angry:

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2019, 05:55:27 am »

Today I worked out that I'm not getting it by the fact that a guy I work with is getting an interview and I haven't heard a thing of my application.  :angry:

Not the best way to keep your staff happy, but unfortunately sums up a lot of companies attitude towards their staff nowadays.  :-\ I'm glad I grew up and worked most of my career when companies were still on the paternalistic side. Commiserations mate.
Decals my @r$e!

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2019, 08:18:31 am »
Sad to hear this.

I was in a situation like that once, along with others in the company...    Rather than promoting from within for someone to be the crew leader, the boss hired in a new guy, green at that, had no experience.... and then we were told that we had to train this guy. I said......  "Hold up, you want us to train this dude how to tell us what to do? "   What a joke. It was insulting.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2019, 09:55:24 am »
Full stops are important. Period.  ;)  I have an interview on Friday!  ;D   

It turns out that the email had bounced because somewhere along the line the  .  between my names got missed out. Good job I called HR today and asked them for news. I might have had an interesting phone call on Friday while driving down to the Isle of Wight e.g. "Where are you?" / "What interview?"

This does mean I may not get to the Fort Nelson artillery museum on Friday but it'll be there another day (we need a shrug smiley face).

Tanks!
The yellow coat is at the 4th coat. There's a hint of grey showing thru but that works for my late 1946 emergency paint. Next time I'll use a spray can.
Realised that both tanks have the turret and gun pointing at the same angle so I had to dismantle the turret on one to make it look different. In doing this I learn that painting all the parts separately and then building the tank might actually have been easier. Next time.

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2019, 10:02:44 am »
Oh nice!!    This almost sounds like a sitcom set-up.......  in the sitcom you would have went in and trashed the boss' office and quit only to turn around and see the email mistake. Luckily this isn't television.  ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2019, 11:29:18 am »
Oh nice!!    This almost sounds like a sitcom set-up.......  in the sitcom you would have went in and trashed the boss' office and quit only to turn around and see the email mistake. Luckily this isn't television.  ;D ;D

I was very close to saying something rude today but then I decided to make a 2 minute phone call. Saved a lot of embarrassment but now I have the worry about the interview. It's bound to involve some sort of roleplay and team exercises  :angry:

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2019, 02:32:34 pm »
It would have been better to paint and then build.   :rolleyes:
Painted the tracks and wheels Dark Iron and tomorrow I can dry brush some gun metal or rust over that. The gun barrel will be gun metal. Will add the plant green and chocolate brown blotches to the hull.

Getting the shades of grey for the aircraft is the tricky bit. I've decided to do my real world 1980s Tomcat with Medium Sea Grey (RAF) Tamiya spray as I can't find any Gull Gray - I think it's close enough and all the greys change in the real world anyway. The Tornado (it's 1/144) will be a sod to mask in order to have a dark grey top and light grey lower.

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2019, 07:30:27 pm »
I always build & paint sub-assemblies separately. Then fit them together for the camo scheme, if I'm doing one. Then pull them apart for clean-up & touch-ups.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2019, 06:04:14 am »
Well done Nick, best of luck Friday  :thumbsup:

Don't worry about it, but don't relax to much. Be yourself and you'll be fine  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!