Aviation Megastore

Started by GTX, November 01, 2011, 03:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

The Aviation Megastore (http://www.aviationmegastore.com/). 

The people here obviously do not want business outside of their immediate local area! :angry:

Speaking as someone in Business Development (aka Sales), I find it frustrating (and professionally insulting) that a company makes it impossible to try to purchase from.  Especially when someone is trying to make a significant purchase (~€500)! 

They have just lost that sale because they cannot work in the modern world and manage to do what thousands of other individuals manage every day worldwide - i.e. manage to send a package internationally.

AARRGGGHHH!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Freightdog862

What did you want Greg? For €500 I'll sell it to you!

I have done some business with Aviation Megastore selling them Freightdog stuff, I noticed they were selling my decal range but at a way too high price, it turned out they have been buying from Hannants and getting a 10% discount on my stuff them bumping it up to mak a decent margin. I offered to sell directly, we did one order but thats about it. I am sure I will see the boss Erwin at SMW in a couple of weeks time, as I have something with Dutch decal options coming soon that he will hopefully want to stock.   

Colin

Hobbes

Spey_Phantom

ive ordered from AMS a few times to.
although some of there models are decently priced, i dont like the high administration costs.
they also seem a bit steep on the mailing costs, i can get my orders from other stores in The Netherlands shipped to my door a 2/3rds or even half the cost they charge  :-\
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

chrisonord

I have bought a conversion set off them, weighed next to nothing as there was hardly anything in the already very small box. The postage was a stab in the eyes, I seriously don't know how they can justify their pricing when I can get something much bigger and much heavier, quicker and much cheaper from Hong Kong!!
chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

I've bought stuff from them too Greg, and I'm in Western Canada.  I've never had a problem although I do agree with the excessive administrative cost comment above
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

Postage rates from the Netherlands aren't cheap in general. To send a package to the UK, the standard rate for packages 0-1 kg (at the lowest service level, ie no tracking) is about €10 and that's the national mail service. UPS isn't going to be cheaper.

kitnut617

To be fair I have to add the postage costs are way up everywhere, getting anything mailed from the States is extremely expensive, for example, I bought two very small halegen light bulbs for US$8.00, shipping cost me US$40.00
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Spey_Phantom

as i said, the admin. and postage costs are so high, i would be cheaper to get on a plane/train and pick up the order myself  :-\
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

GTX

My problem is that they only seem to want to use UPS and that they therefore require a person to be available when it is delivered to sign for it.  With my (and my wife's for that matter) work, this is not feasible.  They will not consider using the normal postage system to my PO Box which is at fully staffed mail centre.  They do not seem to consider using registered mail or even allowing me to simply wear the risk of items not turning up.  Their latest response, and the last straw for me, was to have me somehow provide the name of a staff member to sign for the items there.  This is ridiculous to my way of thinking!

I have tried to provide them workable options but they simply don't seem interested in listening.

Hobbes

Greg,

I agree, shipping can be a PITA.
I use two strategies to cope with incoming mail:
- have it delivered at work. In my experience UPS will happily accept any signature, so even if I'm not in the office the package will be delivered.
- give my home address and accept that I'll have to drive to the UPS shop in the next town to pick up the package after the first delivery fails.

The webpage I quoted earlier lists an option for delivery to PO boxes. Doesn't that work in your case? 

GTX

Quote from: Hobbes on November 02, 2011, 02:00:31 AM
- have it delivered at work. In my experience UPS will happily accept any signature, so even if I'm not in the office the package will be delivered.

Not really an option due to security issues at my work

Quote from: Hobbes on November 02, 2011, 02:00:31 AM
The webpage I quoted earlier lists an option for delivery to PO boxes. Doesn't that work in your case? 

I tried to use that, but they refuse - which makes me ask why they even bother listing it as an option?

Maverick

Given the amount you're spending, you think they'd make an attempt at sorting something out.  Surprising really, given that others (Squadron for instance) go out of their way to help with postage & the like and as mentioned previously, the Chinese options are usually ridiculously cheap.

Regards,

Mav

GTX

Quote from: Maverick on November 02, 2011, 02:22:30 AM
Given the amount you're spending, you think they'd make an attempt at sorting something out.  Surprising really, given that others (Squadron for instance) go out of their way to help with postage & the like and as mentioned previously, the Chinese options are usually ridiculously cheap.

Regards,

Mav

My thoughts exactly!

NARSES2

Quote from: Hobbes on November 01, 2011, 11:16:18 AM
Postage rates from the Netherlands aren't cheap in general. To send a package to the UK, the standard rate for packages 0-1 kg (at the lowest service level, ie no tracking) is about €10 and that's the national mail service. UPS isn't going to be cheaper.

Interesting Harro. UK overseas postage rates to the rest of the EU are quite good compared to that. A kilo package to the Netherlands would be about 7 Euro. I find that packages to the EU are a little less then sending that package recorded within the UK
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.