Avro "X-wing" VTOL Jet Fighter Proposal to USN (1956)

Started by jzichek, June 09, 2011, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzichek

Just put up a new article at RetroMechanix.com on a bizarre proposal by Avro Aircraft (Canada) to the US Navy in 1956 for a supersonic jet VTOL fighter:

It reproduces the entire proposal brochure in a 73 image slideshow, which features numerous drawings (including some in color), artist's impressions, photos, and technical descriptions. A remarkable design from a period in which the Canadian aerospace industry was among the most innovative in the world!

-Jared

The Rat

Wow! just... wow!

Quote from: jzichek on June 09, 2011, 09:02:50 PMA remarkable design from a period in which the Canadian aerospace industry was among the most innovative in the world!

-Jared

And then we got hit with stark reality - small population means small tax base and therefore little financial support from government.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

Same issue hit Australia immediately after WW2 & killed off our fledgling aviation industry; especially with so many 2nd-hand aircraft floating around, so there was no export market.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

scooter

Quote from: GTX on June 10, 2011, 12:29:35 PM
How does one explain Sweden then?

Neutral power, with a "Buy Swedish" mentality when it comes to equipment that started during the build up to WWII.

Anyway, interesting find and an interesting WHIF build
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

rickshaw

Quote from: GTX on June 10, 2011, 12:29:35 PM
How does one explain Sweden then?

Interesting question. 

Australia had decided to depend upon external sources of security - UN/A**US as well as its benign geopolitical position and preferred to spend its limited resources on social matters.  Our defence spending has rarely risen above about 1.5% of GDP.

Sweden 'cause of its rather less than benign position, sandwiched between the fUSSR and Western Europe/US meant that it had to make the decision of either signing up with one side t'other or be neutral.  The Swedes made the hard decision that neutrality meant self-reliance and therefore they needed to build their own military kit after the experience of the 1940 US military embargo.   One interesting thing I've recently read about the Swedish air force though, is that they flew substantially fewer hours than either the Warsaw Pact or NATO.  Obviously, the cost of building was such that the cost of operating couldn't be borne very easily.   A case of what you lost on the swings had be picked up on the roundabouts?  Even so, its defence spending has rarely risen, even during WWII above about 3-4% of GDP IIRC.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

QuoteOne interesting thing I've recently read about the Swedish air force though, is that they flew substantially fewer hours than either the Warsaw Pact or NATO.

I'd be interested in seeing that information.  Is it the case that the total hrs were less or the hrs per pilot were less?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!