Author Topic: Whiffs on Ebay  (Read 43450 times)

Offline loupgarou

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Offline AS.12

• Makes own decals
Re: Whiffs on Ebay
« Reply #271 on: April 04, 2019, 01:34:59 pm »
An USAF Bede BD-5
Just seen on evilbay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USAF-Bede-BD-5-1-72-built-finished-for-display-very-good/362605725902?hash=item546cfc48ce:g:K-0AAOSwDXxconNM

"built and finished to a very good standard for display"

:o

I... maybe I should start building models again...

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #272 on: April 04, 2019, 03:16:09 pm »
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #273 on: April 05, 2019, 12:48:20 am »
He's right.  It has been built, it is finished and you could display it.  However, claiming the standard to which it is built is "good" is bollocks.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Scotaidh

• Scratchbuilds the entire model
« Reply #274 on: April 05, 2019, 02:03:28 am »
In a very old Pilot magazine I once read an article by a bloke who owned a BD-5J.  According to the story (and my memory - not always accurate), when these wee jets came out, he had just retired from the Air Force.  He wasn't ready to give up flying, so he bought a BD-5J for personal shenanigans.   The USAF bought three BD-5Js to evaluate, crashed them all, and wanted him to donate his aircraft to them so they could complete their evaluation!  He declined.
"We're all here because we're not all there."

Offline AS.12

• Makes own decals
« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2019, 03:04:12 am »
The US Navy also used a BD-5 in the mid-70s to model a cruise-missile for specification of the Tomahawk program.

Another oddity with the BD-5 was that Bede's engineer at the time was... Jim Rutan!  He worked on the '5J conversion during the day and his own VariViggen in the evenings.

Offline CammNut

• Kitbasher
« Reply #276 on: April 05, 2019, 03:26:12 pm »
"Burt" Rutan. "Jim" Bede.

But I am sure Rutan tries not to think about Bede much

Offline AS.12

• Makes own decals
« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2019, 12:09:33 am »
"Burt" Rutan. "Jim" Bede.

Oops!  Some day I'll get Bob Rutan's name right...

Found a snippet from AvWeek in 1975 that concludes with a few near-WHIFs:

USAF will evaluate the Bede BD-5J single-seat light jet as a potential low-cost transition and profciency trainer for the General Dynamics F-16 air combat fighter. Evaluation, with four aircraft. will begin in April at Edwards AFB. Calif.   [ AS.12 note: some testing was later planned at Nellis AFB to permit TAC pilots to evaluate it as an aggressor ]

The aircraft, produced in both kit and finished form by Bede Aircraft. Inc. Newton, Kan. also is being studied by a number of foreign nations. It has been viewed by U. S. Navy pilots during a demonstration at the Naval Air Test Center at Patuxent, Md.

Boeing has evaluated the aircraft as a potential low-cost drone or remotely piloted vehicle and expressions of interest for such an aircraft have been received from both the U. S. Army and Israel. Other nations that have expressed interest include Pakistan. which has asked for quotations on an initial order for 50, Iran and several South American nations.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 12:23:17 am by AS.12 »

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2019, 01:01:41 am »
Now that's something to envisage - a swarm of Pakistani Bedes rising to meet Indian Jabos.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Snowtrooper

• Makes own decals
« Reply #279 on: April 08, 2019, 05:33:27 am »
"built and finished to a very good standard for display"

:o

I... maybe I should start building models again...
He's right.  It has been built, it is finished and you could display it.  However, claiming the standard to which it is built is "good" is bollocks.
Back before I quit Warhammer 40K, if there was "PR@ P41N73D L@@K" (an expression overused to the point that peddlers had to use l337sp34k to bypass ebay filtering, because literally anything with even a drop of paint was advertised as "pro painted" and most also "out of production" aka "@@P V3RY R4R3" even if it was available in retail) in the ad header, it usually meant that various cans of paint had obviously fallen on top of the miniature, because even I could not paint as sloppily even if I tried. All too often these cans had contained paints that would not yield to Fairy Power Spray (which is usually enough to dissolve even superglue and styrene joints), sometimes not even brake fluid.

Guess the practice has now been carried over to model kits. ;D

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2019, 06:17:50 am »
They merely failed to state that they were professional house painters or crash repair spray painters, & used the same equipment & techniques on the models as they did in their day jobs. :angel: ;)

It's been going on in Model Kit Land for quite some time, too - especially in the Sci Fi genre. :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
« Reply #281 on: May 27, 2019, 04:24:55 am »
Stumbled upon this whiffy Tornado (from Germany):

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #282 on: May 27, 2019, 07:03:39 am »
That's interesting. F-11 Tiger goes v.g. ?
Decals my @r$e!

Offline The Wooksta!

• Resident Soup Dragon
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2019, 09:26:49 am »
Interesting Hurricanes found a few moments ago.

"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham."

The Plan - a Blog
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.html