Lockheed LT-3300 ShootingStarliner

Started by Tophe, February 13, 2011, 01:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Well, at last I have understood why there were both Fouga Magister and T-33 in my kit box collection: in 1978 I wanted to build all the airplanes flown by my late Uncle Ray (dear "Tonton Raymond") who was a fighter pilot. (Then I died in 1979)... So, now (born again): T-33...
Owh... opening the box, bad surprise: almost all built already, almost impossible to turn it asymmetric or twin-fuselage... My project, so, is to make a 1/350 supersonic ramjet airliner (double-deck) out of this 1/72 trainer... (and the mysterious canopies in this old box, Ki-84? will be used elsewhere).
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

In 1978 I was a serious (JMN) modeller: look at my pilots :-\

Tophe

I have glued the air intakes and canopy, then I am going to paint and it will be done...
(in 1978 I thought it was very far from completion, with all the undercarriage to finish - now: no need, the maximum rate "smile per hard work" is the goal)

Tophe

Here is the project of airliner with huge ramjet engine, of unknown precise size when the design came in 1947...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Tophe on February 13, 2011, 01:23:12 AM
...... almost impossible to turn it asymmetric or twin-fuselage..

I never EVER thought I'd read that in a post of yours Tophe!!  :rolleyes:

Are you sure you couldn't saw off one wing and the opposite tailplane and swap them over?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Don't tease me, Kit, I could... or... I will :wacko:

Tophe

Well, I have started to paint the underside, there will be no truncating nor tailplane removing (+ puty & sanding).
To be uncommon, I plan to make it a triple-decker, to have enough passengers without the huge ramjet place available:

pyro-manic

Cool! The T-33 shape lends itself quite well to this. And Lockheed's airliners were always prettier than their fighters. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Tophe

Quickly finished, not perfect  :-\ but good enough for me ;D

Tophe

pyro-manic

Very nice. :) Maybe some Pan Am markings?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

royabulgaf

It looks like something that would grace the cover of "Popular Mechanics" in the 1940s.  Some scheme with a lot of yellows and reds would be appropriate.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

Tophe

Thanks both of you for your comments... while my feeling is simply opposite (instead of looking for a Realistic place for it in History, I read historical sources with blindness just to enjoy shapes and design ideas). :-\
Each one is different. Fortunately somehow, to enrich Universe... ;)

Weaver

Nice idea, and a lot of potential to explore it further: what other mad small-scale airliners could be made from 1/72nd fighters eh?

Bit late now, but my suggestion would have been to cut the noses and tails off the tanks: use the tank bodies as engine pods (your choice of where to mount them), use two of the nose halves to blank off the original air intakes, and two of the tails to do the same for the original jet pipe.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Tophe

Very interesting idea, thanks. Alas too late for this one, sorry. Thanks anyway.