MBB Lampyridae

Started by Hobbes, September 25, 2010, 10:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

This is what I've been working on recently:

It's a Unicraft kit, and it's quite the worst kit I've done so far. As you can see, I've ended up replacing major components with scratchbuilt ones: the white items in the picture are styrene sheet. The wings are warped beyond repair, and the intake just plain didn't fit.

The intake area is also faceted wrong on the model: the bottom of the fuselage should have 2 facets on each side, as seen on this windtunnel model:

This is the wing assembly. Thanks to the faceted nature of the model, this was only an hour's work:

lenny100

"It's a Unicraft kit, and it's quite the worst kit I've done so far" seems to be quite a comman statment recently about the quality of the kits.
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Taiidantomcat

That is some awesome scratchbuilding  :o Exciting subject too  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Pablo1965

anthonyp

Quote from: lenny100 on September 25, 2010, 12:14:49 PM
"It's a Unicraft kit, and it's quite the worst kit I've done so far" seems to be quite a comman statment recently about the quality of the kits.

Recently?  They've been poo-poo (with an english accent) for years in terms of quality, but for a lot of their subjects, they're the only game in town.  I've got the Bird of Prey, and it's a horrid piece of semi-usable resin.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Hobbes

This is the kit contents:

The inside of the fuselage top:

Modelling_Mushi

Excellent work that !

And they call that a kit  :banghead: I can't make out if the middle bit is a resin casting with too much flash or a block of flash with the odd line in it.
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Hobbes

I'm sure it's possible, but the fuselage would be a bit more involved than the wings. As an alternative to calculating the sizes, you could start with a skeleton that matches the top and side view, and create the skin panels to match the skeleton.

NARSES2

Interesting project Harro. As for Unicraft...as I said yesterday you do get that little bonus in every kit. The piece that you spend hours trying to figure out exactly what it's meant to be and then give up  :banghead: Hours of enjoyment guaranteed  :wacko:

I very nearly parted with coin of the realm for this yesterday...probably will at Telford.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

noxioux

Holy cow!  I find myself wondering if it wouldn't be easier just to scratchbuild it. . .

That being said, it's quite an interesting subject, and looks like you got it well in hand.  I'm looking forward to following this one. :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

Unicraft models are not kits - they're lumps of poorly cast horrid resin and an invitation to do a lot of scratchbuilding.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weasel

That kit looks horrific, although it does look like it could provide a sound foundation for lots of scratch building! good luck and I look forward to seeing progress   <_<

Hobbes

Progress:

The airframe is together, I've added landing gear from an F-16 and it's being painted.

Draken35

JayBee

Quote from: Overkiller on September 26, 2010, 04:54:02 AM
I'm constantly tempted to do the Lampyridae's bigger, unbuilt brother, the DASA TDEFS....

:cheers:

Duncan

Oh go on Duncan you know you want to :wacko:

Jim :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!