Would really like any modern 1/72 air dropped torps....

Started by Army of One, September 14, 2010, 02:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Hello....just wondering if anyone has a spare 1/72 modern air dropped torpedo or two.....the sort that would be dropped from any ASW helo or a/c......I don't seem to have any in my stash of kits (no naval helo's). The odd one or two would be greatly appreciated...I could have a go at scratch building some from any received....I take it they aren't specifically for sub hunting....they can be used against surface targets as well?
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

chrisonord

I have a couple I can spare, they have come off a dead model helicopter. PM me your addy and I can send you them.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

rickshaw

Quote from: Army of One on September 14, 2010, 02:39:41 PM
Hello....just wondering if anyone has a spare 1/72 modern air dropped torpedo or two.....the sort that would be dropped from any ASW helo or a/c......I don't seem to have any in my stash of kits (no naval helo's). The odd one or two would be greatly appreciated...I could have a go at scratch building some from any received....I take it they aren't specifically for sub hunting....they can be used against surface targets as well?

They could but they weren't optimised for use against surface targets.  They were intended for ASW use while air-to-surface missiles (AS11/12, Pinguin, Sea Skua, Harpoon, Sea Eagle, etc) were meant to be used against surface targets.  Their warheads and fusing wouldn't be optimised for destruction of a surface targets, being intended to destroy submarines (several mount in fact HEAT warheads for puncturing submarine hulls which on a surface target would more than likely just annoy it by putting a small neat hole in the side and not sink it).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Army of One

Ah..by Jupiters......gratitude for the enlightenment..... :bow:.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

Also, many small ASW torpedoes follow a pre-set program after dropping. They motor round in a descending circle until they pick up a contact on their sonar and then home on it. They tend to automatically ignore surface ships, and even if they didn't the ship could open up the distance at 30kts while the torpedo was still circling.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

The Airfix Sea King kit has two each of Mk 46s torps and air dropped depth charges included. They aren't what you'd call fine detailed, but they look pretty good.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

Many thanks for the advice......>Chris....got them this am...well fast service,many thanks....!!.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!