Hawker Sea Hunter, 1960

Started by rickshaw, August 28, 2010, 01:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

The Admiralty, impressed by the performance of the Hawker Hunter in RAF service commissioned Hawker to produce a trials aircraft, converted for carrier use in 1958.  Hawker's added wing folding, an arrester hook and catapult stays.  The first squadron of Hawker Sea Hunters went to sea on HMS EAGLE in 1960.

Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures.  This is my first WHIF in plastic in over 30 years.  I'll take better pictures once I find my real camera, these were taken with my webcam.  Special thanks to Narses2 who supplied the decals.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Well I'm glad the transfers found a really good home  :thumbsup: Stunning stuff  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Very nice indeed.  what was the basic model, Revell?

Quote from: rickshaw on August 28, 2010, 01:27:03 AM
Special thanks to Narses2 who supplied the decals.

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 28, 2010, 02:49:59 AM
Well I'm glad the transfers found a really good home

Ah, the decals/transfers debate rages on!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

rickshaw

Quote from: kitbasher on August 28, 2010, 05:44:56 AM
Very nice indeed.  what was the basic model, Revell?

No, its the venerable Airfix one.  It scrubbed up surprisingly well considering.

thedarkmaster

Like the Sea Hunter, may have to do one of my 16 stashed Hunters like it  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

beowulf

i like that..........somehow it just looks right  :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Cliffy B

VERY NICE!!!  :thumbsup:  Hunters just look at home on a carrier.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

;D ;D

No debate as far as I'm concerned Dave, when you know you are right you don't have to get involved in one  ;D I could use the word "stickers" which I know one or two of our more senior members use occasionally but I'm not that old  ;D

Besides "transfers" is the English word whilst "Decals" (especially with the emphasis on the CALs) is "Amerienglish"  :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 29, 2010, 02:20:13 AM
;D ;D

No debate as far as I'm concerned Dave, when you know you are right you don't have to get involved in one  ;D I could use the word "stickers" which I know one or two of our more senior members use occasionally but I'm not that old  ;D

Besides "transfers" is the English word whilst "Decals" (especially with the emphasis on the CALs) is "Amerienglish"  :wacko:

Oh, then I suppose I'd better use the proper Queen's English.  Damned creeping American cultural imperialism!*

*Speaking of which I am increasingly becoming annoyed that all the automated telephone messaging systems I interact with more and more, have American voices.  I mean how hard is it for a company to record Australian voices?  Mmmm?

rickshaw

More pictures as threatened/promised with a better camera

Dork the kit slayer

Nice build and the Airfix kit makes for a good WIF. Nobody can tell you the wheel wells are wrong.(not that I gave a toss)
A "seahunter" mmmmmmmmmm.all those different markings...................and all those old unwanted Airfix kits.
Nice one.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

NARSES2

Thanks for the "better" pictures - shows her off to her best advantage  :thumbsup: Still find it hard to believe it's the old Airfix kit.

As for automated phone lines. In the UK it's the same lady who does all the announcments on the trains as you are coming into, at and leaving stations. Busy girl, very English  ;D

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 30, 2010, 02:04:46 AM
Thanks for the "better" pictures - shows her off to her best advantage  :thumbsup: Still find it hard to believe it's the old Airfix kit.

The only addition to it is an old Pavla MB Ejector seat made of metal which I picked up from a models disposals place in Las Vegas via the internet.  I had to saw about 2.5mm off the bottom to make it fit but it helped with the weight in the nose!

As for automated phone lines. In the UK it's the same lady who does all the announcments on the trains as you are coming into, at and leaving stations. Busy girl, very English  ;D

Oh, we have that but I'm talking about the various government departments I've worked for recently which use American supplied phone systems.  Instead of Australianising the automated voices - which are afterall just recorded - they've simply left in place the American ones.  Very annoying when they keep saying "please press the pound sign on your phone"!  Sorry, I can't find any of these "£".  Oh, you mean these?  "#"   Bloody Cisco.  :rolleyes: