X-IXN

Started by Glenn, April 22, 2004, 07:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

With the end of WW2, and 'The Spoils of War' being sent to the Allies for evaluation, the US Government came to the help of Northrop. With Northrop working on their 'flying wing' project, they needed a jet powered model to test apart from their piston engine prototypes. One of the Horten IX models was stripped down, and re-assembled to US specs. The photo shows X-IXN, Northrop's jet test bed during one of it's many flights.

Model: Revell 1/72 sc.

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

Great job, as ever :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

Always thought of doing a USN version Horton...............one day  :huh:  ;)  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Radish

So very plausible.
USN version??
Folded wings would be nice. :wacko:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

F-32

the mans got the skill! B)  

Captain Canada

Looking good !

Flying wings are always cool.........

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lancer

Fantastic, as ever , your skills are legendary. I love the in flight scene
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Aircav

I'll tell you what I have had an idea for but you'd need to make a new set of wings, flip the wings over so they would have a forward sweep  :huh:  ;) left on the right and the right on the left so to speak :wacko:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Ollie

Neato Glenno!!

Aircav, you would need to reshape the airfoil section in order to do that!

B)  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

WeeJimmy

Very cool  :)  

Martin H

I like it.
What kit was it?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.