Downfall builds - Bearcat/Mustang. * * F I N I S H E D* *

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, May 28, 2010, 01:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Academy 1:48 Bearcat and Tamiya 1:48 Mustang, a general view to start with:

and a couple of views of the P-51's wings. As you can see, like the real thing, I've filled all the panel lines except the gun bay access. As soon as I've typed this it's off to the paint shed for both. The Bearcat to be pre-shaded, the Mustang to have its' wings painted Tamiya 'Aluminium'

Thanks as ever for looking, and as usual all comments, questions and criticism are welcome.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Cliffy B

They look good so far man!  But why did you fill all of the panel lines?  Are they too deep or do you not like them?

Are these for "Operation Downfall" or are they giving you more trouble than they are worth?  ;D

F8Fs are automatically awesome, can't wait for this duo to be finished!
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

van883

Quote from: Cliffy B on May 28, 2010, 08:15:09 AM
They look good so far man!  But why did you fill all of the panel lines?  Are they too deep or do you not like them?

Are these for "Operation Downfall" or are they giving you more trouble than they are worth?  ;D

F8Fs are automatically awesome, can't wait for this duo to be finished!
Real Mustangs had their wing panel lines filled! Then painted with aluminium paint of some sort-no NMF wings-I may be wrong on this....

Van

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Cliffy B on May 28, 2010, 08:15:09 AM

Filled to improve airflow and 'M.P.G.' !  :mellow:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Taiidantomcat

Loved your last Japan 1946 build, Cant wait for these  :thumbsup: Any hints about the paint job?  :wacko:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

PR19_Kit

RW P-51s had their wing panel lines filled to make sure the airflow stayed laminar, one reason why the Mustang was so quick. Even bugs on the wings caused significant air-flow disruption and so make the wings less laminar than designed.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Will get some progress photos up in the morning. As this is written, the Mustang has its' wings sprayed Tamiya 'Aluminium' and the fuselage has had a coat of Tamiya glossy black, straight from the rattle-can - it's drying/hardening in the paint shed - in preparation for a coat or three of Alclad on Friday morning.

The Bearcat is pre-shaded, but I want to do a little more as it's just a little to 'blotchy', needs to be more consistant.

After Friday all work stops whilst we go on hols for a couple of weeks. Pics in the morning.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Cliffy B

Well that definitely makes sense about the panel lines now.

Ian, are these birds to be clean or weathered?  I've never actually seen a heavily weathered Bearcat before, might look pretty friggin' awesome!  Just a suggestion  ;D
-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Cliff, I'm guessing we haven't seen too many weathered F8F's simply because they spent almost all of their very short service lives (in the USA) with second line, training and USNR units. However if you look at the ones that the French used (quite extensively) in Vietnam, then you'll see that they got pretty rough.

All of which will mean absolutely nothing, when you see what I'm going to do with it, paint-wise  :lol:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

So here's a general view of the pair of them:

Now a little closer at the pre-shading on the F8F. Going to put some dark olive drab and very dark brown shades in here too:

The 'Stang looks quite odd like this, cannot really see the depth of 'shine' on the acryllic black fuselage in this shot:

Can get a better idea from this picture, though:

Flash didn't co-operate on this, but you get some idea of the very smooth finish on the 'aluminium painted' wings.

As ever any questions or comments welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Cliffy B

What the heck do you in store for that F8F???!!!  Should I call and get a padded room ready?  ;D  That Mustang looks soooooooooooooo nice is gloss black.  Think I'll have to build one in overall black now.... :thumbsup:
-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Alclad 'White Aluminium' and 'Polished Aluminium' mixed 60/40 and sprayed in three thin coats over two hours this morning (before it got too warm to spray anything !

Without wings:

With wings - note the difference in tone between the NMF and the 'painted' aluminium:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

PR19_Kit

Ian,

That black finish on the fuse of the P-51 is to DIE for! I've seen custom cars with a worse finish than that!

Almost a pity that it's now covered up, but we all know it's there of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

NARSES2

Fantastic quality of workmanship Ian  :bow:

And whats the story on the little purple car in the background ?  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.