Spitfires question

Started by Geoff, November 15, 2009, 02:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I want to make a Spitfire IX LE, I do have the ICM kit and a Rev D Spit XVI. In the Rev kit it says the XVI and the IXE were "externaly identical". As this is a real world build I want it to be "right" so is this correct??

Thanks, GeoffP.

Radish

Is you Spitfire (the one you want to build) a high back or low back/bubble. Many XVIs were low-backed, a few were high-backed.
A XVI was designated by the engine it used...a Packard-Merlin. The British Merlin and its American brother were NOT interchangeable.
There might have been some minor cowling shape differences, but the ICM Lf-IXe has a good reputation, so I'd go with that.
Good luck.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

PR19_Kit

... and there were some low back IXEs as well, just to confuse the issue, but not as many as there were low back XVIs.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

B777LR

Both kits are full of faults. Most important is the faulty placement of the wings. It should feature the canards mounted just in front of the cockpit, with the wings mounted on the rear fuselage. You must also replace the RR Merlin with a P&W PT-6A. Finally you must fit the canopy of a MiG-29 :thumbsup:

Geoff

Rad - high backed.

787 - Nah, it's got to be a Dart engine! lol.

B777LR

Quote from: Geoff on November 15, 2009, 04:55:39 AM
Rad - high backed.

Sorry my bad, of course it's the Dart. The French version uses Astazous.

Geoff

Quote from: B787 on November 15, 2009, 07:34:15 AM
Quote from: Geoff on November 15, 2009, 04:55:39 AM
Rad - high backed.

Sorry my bad, of course it's the Dart. The French version uses Astazous.

Now there is an idea!

Radish

BUILD IT REAL.
Unless you're rivet counting, the ICM kit is fine :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Geoff

Hi Rad - Yes I am going to do a Czech S-89, ie a Spit IX LE as either an early post war Czech AF or Air Police plane.
If the XVI is usable to do this then I think I can do both versions without buying another kit - hence the question.

Jennings

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 15, 2009, 03:33:03 AM
... and there were some low back IXEs as well, just to confuse the issue, but not as many as there were low back XVIs.

Huh?  Where'd you hear that?  I've never heard of any wartime bubble top Spit being anything other than a Mk.XVI.  I don't think the Morgan & Shacklady bible has any ref to a Mk.IX (with a Rolls Royce engine) that has a bubble top.  For sure none of the major group of Spitfire boffins I've worked with over the years has ever said anything about their being such an animal (and that includes Robert Bracken and Bob Swaddling among others)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Geoff

I don't know about the low backed IX's I'm afraid. But a member of our local club has just sent me a photostat of info on the Spits sent to the USSR. These are put as "Spitfire LF IXe (Merlin 66)". OK I may be being a bit autistic here but isn't that the same as a Spitfire XVI? I realise the two odels are virtually identical externally.

kitnut617

Quote from: Jennings on November 21, 2009, 03:26:56 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 15, 2009, 03:33:03 AM

Huh?  Where'd you hear that?  I've never heard of any wartime bubble top Spit being anything other than a Mk.XVI.  I don't think the Morgan & Shacklady bible has any ref to a Mk.IX (with a Rolls Royce engine) that has a bubble top.  For sure none of the major group of Spitfire boffins I've worked with over the years has ever said anything about their being such an animal (and that includes Robert Bracken and Bob Swaddling among others)

J

I've read somewhere that there were Mk.IX's with bubble tops too, I'll see if I can find where I read it.  The only difference was the engine ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

The Morgan & Shacklady bible does in fact show both the "rear-view" fuselage late MK IXE and standard "high-back" early MK XVI.