Swept wings

Started by Daryl J., October 13, 2009, 10:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

McDonnell Banshee with swept wings might look good, eh?  Especially in its long fuselage guise.

Am thinking of putting a swept tailplane on my Academy B-50 and reducing the number of powerplants to two fictitious turboprops.   

:cheers:
Daryl J.

elmayerle

Quote from: Daryl J. on October 13, 2009, 10:26:35 PM
McDonnell Banshee with swept wings might look good, eh?  Especially in its long fuselage guise.

Am thinking of putting a swept tailplane on my Academy B-50 and reducing the number of powerplants to two fictitious turboprops.   

:cheers:
Daryl J.

Take a look at Tommy Thompson's book on US Naval Air Superiority, the swept-wing Banshee, a F2H-4 cross with the XF-88, was definitely considered.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Daryl J.

So, in other words, taking two Testors 1/48 Banshees and a Lindberg XF-88 and bashing them together would still qualify as a whif, but only as a near-reality whif eh?   Cool!

:cheers:,
Daryl J.

GTX

Something I did a while back:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

Quote from: apophenia on October 17, 2009, 06:43:35 PM
A bit of heresy inspired by the Bell L-39  :wacko:

The basic concept looks good, but I think you'll need to adjust the main landing gear a bit to get something that works with the leading edge devices and if you move the main gear aft, you may need to extend the fuselage to get the pilot's line of sight reasonable when taxing before takeoff.  The L-39 had the benefit of converting a tricycle-gear aircraft.  Now, if you were to accept the main gear location of a F-86 wing and the nose gear from a T-28, you'd have a rather different proposition.

SSgt Baloo

Not older than dirt but remembers when it was still under warranty.

lancer

Anyone else think we could add this to the GB's list?? I think it could work pretty well.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

kitnut617

A bit of heresy inspired by the Bell L-39  :wacko:

As much as I think this looks really cool, I think it would have a serious problem actually flying.  The L-39, which was really a P-63, was found to be way out of wack with the center of lift in the wings much too far behind the cg point.  To remedy that Bell first replaced the P-63 four blade prop with a three blade P-39 prop to try and save some weight up front, when that didn't really help they added a four foot rear fuselage plug just behind the engine.  But this is with a center mounted engine not with the engine way out front like your Mustang does.  Incidently, there was a Reno racer Mustang that had Learjet swept wings fitted, I've got a model of it somewhere in the stash which is produced by High Planes.  The real thing crashed by the way ---- .

Mind you, if you did that with say a P-82 fuselage, and have the root leading edge as far forward as possible, it could work I think.  But Evan could probably tell you more about that.

This is a top view of the Learstang called Vendetta, as you can see this didn't have a very swept wing
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Stargazer

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 21, 2009, 03:11:27 PM
As much as I think this looks really cool, I think it would have a serious problem actually flying.

I had the exact same feeling looking at the picture... Too much weight to the front.

elmayerle

Inerestingly enough, one thing the Mustang and Learjet have in common is single-piece wings that are joined to the fuselage by a few large bolts.  I rather suspect that any Learstang effort is going to have difficulties in redesigning the Learjet wing for a taildragger main landing gear and then in making certain that the aerodynamics for stability and control are adequate for what you're tyring to do.  To keep it simple, the quarter-chord line of the new wing needs to pass through the same fuselage station, on the centerline and you still may need to do some juggling to get the cg in the proper location.  I suspect it's doable but with considerable care and calculation.

Daryl J.

How about mildly swept wings on a slightly lengthened Albatros D.V?

What if the Tu-95 had evolved from the Lancaster rather than the B-29?

ysi_maniac

A bit of heresy inspired by the Bell L-39  :wacko:
Love this idea
Will die without understanding this world.

batmancustoms

John 'Panzer' Hinton
http://www.batmancustoms.com/

pyro-manic

What about a DH Vampire or Venom with swept wings? That would look good.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

Joncarrfarrelly posted a Venom with DH.108 wings in the Venom/Vampire/Swallow thread:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22690.0/highlight,vampire+venom.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.