Round the World Yacht Race from Hull

Started by Mossie, September 14, 2009, 06:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Hull hosted the start of the Clipper 09-10 Round the World Yacht Race yesterday.  We've had a weekend of celebrations in the city, with a sheer amount of visitors (150,000 estimated) that I've never seen before.  We had a series of free to attend 'Freedom Concerts', Red Arrows display, fireworks, etc.  I didn't get to see it all but thouroughly enjoyed what I did.  A great few days.

First set, took these on Thursday evening, our department at work hosted a conferrence & most of delegates wanted to go down to see the boats, so we obliged.  Gave me an oppurtunity to get some snaps.

Spurn Lightship, a Hull landmark on the Marina

Hull & Humber, local girl & winner of last years race

Jamaica & Edinburgh, with Cork just visible

Cape Breton, probably the most striking artwork of all the contenders.

Singapore

HMS Explorer, Archer Class Patrol Boat.  Belongs to the Yorkshire Universities Royal Naval Unit, or 'Yorkshire Navy' as one of the conference attendees put it!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Next set, taken on the Sunday on the River Humber, all the race contenders.

Hull & Humber, California, Australia, Edinburgh, China & Cork

Australia, Finland, Cape Breton, Hull & Humber, California & China

Finland, Cape Breton, Jamaica, California and Australia turning in

Hull & Humber

Cape Breton

California, China & Australia

Finland & Australia

Cork

Singapore & Edinburgh

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Last set, flotilla members

HMS Explorer

Humber Charter, Harbour Masters boat, with film crew on board

A pleasureboat, with others in the background

Tugs Englishman & Switzer Alma

Englishman & Switzer Alma saluting the contenders, with the Humber bridge visible in the background

Thought this might be of interest to some, Englishman with either the P&O North Sea Ferries Pride of Hull, or Pride of Rotterdam docked in the background.  The sisterships were the largest ferries in the world until a couple Norwegian monsters from the Color Line overtook them a few years ago.

Mossie

B777LR

Quote from: Mossie on September 17, 2009, 02:10:26 AM
I guess nobody's interested then???  :huh: :huh: :huh:

I love the pictures. How long were the race boats? They look a wee bit small for places like Cape of Good Hope and the Southern Ocean (which is usually where they sail from South Africa to Cape Horn)

Mossie

The route they take is UK to La Rochelle, Brazil, South Africa, Australia, China, California, Carribean, return to UK.  So these little boats have to negotiate both the Cape Horn (unless they nip through the Panama Canal, but I don't think they do) & Cape of Good Hope.  What surprise me is the race is composed almost entirely of rookies, people who have paid their own money first to train, then take part in the race.  I also can't understand what it would be like to be stuck in a twenty metre space for ten months in a high stress environment, with only a few chances to get away from them!  I can just imagine the arguments!

More info here:
http://www.clipperroundtheworld.com/index.php/Home

It took a little digging, but the yachts used are Clipper 68's, overall length 20.8m, beam 5.76m.
Full specs here:
http://www.clipper-training.com/index.php/the_yachts

So will you be in next years race Thomas?!?!? ;D ;D ;D

B777LR

Quote from: Mossie on September 17, 2009, 03:58:13 AM
I also can't understand what it would be like to be stuck in a twenty metre space for ten months in a high stress environment, with only a few chances to get away from them!  I can just imagine the arguments!

It's actually not that much of a high stress environment. It's relaxing, quiet and peaceful. Nothing better but spending 10 months in a small confine with some of your best friends :thumbsup: And if you want some time of your own, just lie down on the front deck

Quote from: Mossie on September 17, 2009, 03:58:13 AM
So will you be in next years race Thomas?!?!? ;D ;D ;D

Nah, I'm still in school. Perhaps in 2011? Would really really really like to try it :wacko: Freja, one of my really sail obsessed friends, has expressed the same opinion :thumbsup:

Mossie

I'm sur you could get a case together for a Danish boat, or join the Finnish crew?

Mossie

They're coming back in July!  Another big party, methinks.   :party: :drink: :party:

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: B787 on September 17, 2009, 02:44:42 AMHow long were the race boats? They look a wee bit small for places like Cape of Good Hope and the Southern Ocean (which is usually where they sail from South Africa to Cape Horn)

According to the web page the hulls are 20.0m (68.0') in length.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Mossie

The Clippers came back yesterday, to much fanfare, a dodgy Rod Stewart soundalike, several X Factor/Britains Got Talent rejects & Amy Winehouse's dad...  Fortunately there was a bit of helicopter action for myself!

Pics are a little samey from before, so I haven't covered a lot of the boats on the River Humber, but here we go:

Humber Rescue RIB, a litlle voluntary rescue operation, not part of the RNLI

The Clippers on the River

Red Husky Tug

RAF Sea King, the RN guys were coming later so they had to be in!!!

The Black Cats, Royal Navy helicopter display team with two Lynx HMA.8's.  Sorry for the crappy pics, taken at the extreme range of my camera.

Hull & Humber, local girl returning into the Marina.  Last years winner, came a respectable forth place after some early problems nearly disqualified her.

Winner, Spirit of Australia transiting through the Marina