Allan-making seats for his SE5A model

Started by Allan, June 20, 2009, 09:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

What I did was cut some 1/72 scale wheels in half for the part where the pilot's bum goes and then roughly cut out a piece of very thin metal foil. I found the foil under the lid of a can of powdered sports drink. Glued the piece of foil to the half wheel with super glue and then trimmed the foil into shape with a small pair of very sharp scissors. On one of the seats I used a piece of plastic that has something like a crosshatched surface to it. It's the blue one. That one looks pretty much like wicker, but I won't be using it because I feel it's a little too large for this scale.
What I have to do next is paint it something woody in color and add some seat straps. I'll lower the seat through the coaming and onto the floor once the model is just about completed. Rudder bar and control column next.
Well, whaddaya think??? I know they aren't particularly convincing, but I think they'll be adequate for my needs.
Allan in Canberra

redstar72

Here is a photo of SE.5A cockpit (especially the seat). Maybe there were different versions, and I understand your model is a What-if... but the shape of this seat and your "probes" are quite different.

I think metal foil isn't the best material for seat - it is very thin and it looks crumpled. To my mind, thin plastic (about 0.3 mm, like that used for yogurt containers) would be better.

If you need SE.5A cockpit photos, you can see some in this theme: http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_12194.html
Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

Allan

Thank you, Redstar, they are wonderfully useful photos and sugggestions. I may have to revise my entire thinking!!!!
Allan in Canberra

pyro-manic

That's useful, thanks! I'm trying to do this for my Ju-88 flying boat bash at the moment.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Brian da Basher

Goodness knows about accuracy, but that seat looks fine and in many aircraft, you can't see much of the cockpit after you get everything buttoned up (especially if there's a canopy). I'm sure lots of our fellow Whiffers will find this technique very useful.

Thanks, Allan!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. This reminds me of a post I saw on another site (Hyperscale?) where one modeler actually wove a seat attempting to duplicate the wicker original in 1/72.

NARSES2

Quote from: Brian da Basher on June 23, 2009, 12:41:49 PM
Goodness knows about accuracy, but that seat looks fine and in many aircraft, you can't see much of the cockpit after you get everything buttoned up (especially if there's a canopy). I'm sure lots of our fellow Whiffers will find this technique very useful.

Thanks, Allan!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. This reminds me of a post I saw on another site (Hyperscale?) where one modeler actually wove a seat attempting to duplicate the wicker original in 1/72.

I've seen a 1/32 kit (might of been 1/48) where the builder had modified a "dolls house model" wicker chair - looked very realistic
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.