Lord of the Rings fans - check this out

Started by nev, May 18, 2009, 04:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Some of you may know I'm a big fan of the Total War series of games, well a fan Mod - Third Age: Total War - has just been released for Medieval 2: Total War, and it is, to say the least awesome

Considering this is only version 1.0 and its been made by a handful of dedicated amateurs, the detail, love and craft that has gone into it is incredible.  Don't just take my word for it, check out the screenshots (note, this have been taken using my new gaming PC @ 1280x1024 then resized on my old PC which is at 1024x768 and shrunk down to fit in the forums, so there is a bit of a loss of detail).

So, I decided to play as Harad because I've always loved the Corsairs Of Umbar (goes back to MERP when I was a kid).  First job was to advance into Southern Ithilien and take the independant regions there before Gondor did

Once established on the South side of the River Anduin, Gondor took a disliking to me and decided to try and evict me :charge:  So I march out to meet them in battle

My generals Serpent Bodyguard

Chasing down the last survivors after the rout :D

The aforementioned Corsairs sally out from one of my besieged cities

Joined by some Haradrim Spearmen - check out the standard bearer :wub:

The campaign map is just as beautifully detailed - was delighted when my diplomat came across the Argonath because that is probably my favourite thing in the whole Tolkien mythology.  I just think its such a magnificent idea, the 2 GIANT statues of great kings from the past guarding this enormous waterfall

For those interested the TATW forums with download link is here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=654
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

Another snowy siege where I sally out against the Gondorians - most of the damage in this battle was done by my Serpent Cavalry and massed archers as my infantry are quite light at the minute till I can tech up my empire, and can only just hold their own against the heavily armoured Gondor Militia

A night battle - I'm using fire arrows because they are less accurate, but lower enemy morale making them more likely to rout (and they look cool in night battles)

Lastly, another campaign map shot, showing some more of the detail they've put in

Also check out the youtube channel of Third Age: Total War.  And make sure you watch those movies in in HD.  And they are all gameplay footage not FMV or owt like that http://www.youtube.com/user/ThirdAgeTotalWar
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

I'd love to see a film with Orks, Necrons or Space Marines in  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

B777LR

Quote from: Aircav on May 18, 2009, 08:43:51 AM
I'd love to see a film with Orks, Necrons or Space Marines in  ;D

All of them up against Chuck Norris!