Strikehound

Started by Shasper, April 29, 2009, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

Ok guys I've had this one in the closet long enough I guess . . . a mud moving "MiG-31" idea has always been floating in my head for the last 10 years, and last August I finally started putting my thoughts into styrene:

Started with the old Revell MiG-31 kit and used the kit's giant underwing tanks as a base for the CFTs. Eventually the saddlebags will gain some stores attachment points, and I'm going to try and scratch the Sabre LERXs from the real Foxhound-E (which is strictly air-to-air) along with a FLIR/Laser designator housing under the nose.

Shas 8) 
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

sv51macross

John Howling Mouse

Keep it coming.  Love the name "Strikehound," too.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

GTX

There was actually a ground attack (or multirole would be more apt a description) MiG-31 proposed in real life:  at the Paris Air Show in 1995 there was a variant of the MiG-31B designated the "MiG-31F", with "F" standing for "frontovy / front AKA tactical", which was fitted with air-to-surface weapons for the strike or particularly the SEAD role.   As far as I'm aware, nothing more came of it.  Perhaps you can weave this into the backstory for this?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

noxioux

Smooth.  She needs a gun, too, IMO :wub:

Shasper

MiG-31F eh? I'll have to give it some thought . . . As far as the gun goes, the regular mount above the right side MLG would be obscured by the new CFT, so the gun will be removed unless I can find a alternate location.

Shas
- Bud S.

cthulhu77

Shasper

Some sort of semi-conformal gunpod might work . . . I'll chew on it ;)

Update: It's been a looong while since I messed with this bird, but today I pulled out of the box & managed to get the weapons pallets put on, no pics but I hope to get some more work done on it in the coming weeks :)
- Bud S.

Sauragnmon

Looking forward to more of this Mudhound, Shas - should prove to be interesting to say the least I think.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Army of One

Like it lots.....great idea,but have to agree with other....needs a gun whether internal or in a pod.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Shasper

Haven't touched this bird in a while, but I did get some pics of the changes:

Still need to fill in the rear fairings

And the bridge between the pallets
- Bud S.

pyro-manic

Cool! Gun in one of the side pallets maybe?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Shasper

Thats a negative Pyro, I'm looking at either a pod on the centerline or an external arrangement similar to the Gripen, except further up the ventral fuselage (between the centerline station & the nose gear). *If* I go for the external mounting the gun type will be changed to the single barrel 30mm found on the Flanker or the twin barrel from the Frogfoot, as the original 6-barrel cannon will be too big for the location.

To complicate things, I'm still working out the FLIR & laser designator details, whether or not I'll stick them internally along with an EO sight for dumb/optical-guided munitions dropping or if it'll got the podded route ala Mudhen. . .

About the only things I have decided is a) it'll be finished in tactical camo and b) there will be an extra pair of pylons under the wingtips for AAMs!
- Bud S.