Main Menu

Never Retired

Started by Taiidantomcat, April 07, 2009, 10:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

This wouldn't be too much of a stretch since lots of whifers Seem to do these anyway, But what if an aircraft never retired? If it just kept getting upgraded forever and ever (If you are a US Marine there is no "What if" to this at all  :drink:) I know that someone did a Modern Spitifire and Ed s made that brilliant upgraded corsair and this GB would be along these lines... What would a P-51Z look like? AMRAAMS and chaff and flare dispensors? Or a Nuclear Armed, Terrain Following radar equipped B-17 for SAC? A Stealthy "super" Harrier with no F-35 to replace it? You could also do current aircraft way in the future which opens it up to just about anything... What do you think?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

PR19_Kit

You mean just like Canberras and B-52s?  :lol: ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

FW Flitzer in post war Luftwaffe markings.
spitfire with ASRAAM  :wub:
P-38 with AESA radar.

omg, i want in on this action  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

puddingwrestler

You lack true scope to your madness - Endo/Exo -atmospheric hyperdrive equipped Fokker triplanes!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Fulcrum

The only thing for me: Chinooks, Hinds & Fulcrums forever!!! :drink: :cheers: ;D
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Daryl J.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:   Neat idea.

Wright Flyer goes to a Tiger Meet.    ;D ;D   USS Monitor sports a high speed turret with twin 5" rifles, nuclear drives.   The Camaro lives on.....no, wait,...that's happening.

:cheers:
Daryl J.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 07, 2009, 02:09:30 PMYou lack true scope to your madness - Endo/Exo -atmospheric hyperdrive equipped Fokker triplanes!

With spats that also work as warp engine pods.  That should get Brian involved for sure. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

lancer

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on April 08, 2009, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 07, 2009, 02:09:30 PMYou lack true scope to your madness - Endo/Exo -atmospheric hyperdrive equipped Fokker triplanes!

With spats that also work as warp engine pods.  That should get Brian involved for sure. 

I know this is splitting hairs, but why would you need warp drives in your spats when you have a far superior hyperdrive attached???
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

puddingwrestler

So that you can start enourmous arguments with every geek you meet about which is better, the Star Trek warp drive or Star Wars hyperdrive, which will inevitably lead to blood shed.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Mossie

Martin Baker still use two Gloster Meteors as testbeds for their ejection seats, not to much of a stretch to keep them in military service?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Daryl J.

QuoteMartin Baker still use two Gloster Meteors as testbeds for their ejection seats, not to much of a stretch to keep them in military service?

For real, Mossie?   

I've been salivating over these new Wingnuts kits and since the Junkers never got retired, am trying to visualize little hand thrown LGB's to emulate the hand thrown bombs over the trenches in WW-1.   That and putting the LVG into a role not unlike that of the WB-57.  Different, but similar. 

Daryl J.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Daryl J. on April 11, 2009, 03:44:35 PM
QuoteMartin Baker still use two Gloster Meteors as testbeds for their ejection seats, not to much of a stretch to keep them in military service?

For real, Mossie?   

Daryl,

Absolutely, see here :-

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/The-Chalgrove-meteors-_2_.pdf

Quote from: Daryl J. on April 11, 2009, 03:44:35 PM
I've been salivating over these new Wingnuts kits and since the Junkers never got retired, am trying to visualize little hand thrown LGB's to emulate the hand thrown bombs over the trenches in WW-1.   That and putting the LVG into a role not unlike that of the WB-57.  Different, but similar.

I'm trying to imagine an LVG with two sets of very very long wings...........  :lol:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Kit beat me to it, but yes, Martin Baker currently operate two Gloster Meteor T.71/2's.  These are T.7's with a F.8 tail & a modified canopy.  They've been on the cards for retirement for at least twenty years, but MB have never really found an aircraft that's better suited for the role & they constantly get a stay of execution.  They're reliable & with the engines being on the wings there's very little chance of debris or hot gas being ingested.

WL419 in silver & dayglo:

WA638 in black with gold go-faster stripe, currently the worlds oldest military registered jet still flying, IIRC.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Daryl J.

Very cool!   

Daryl J.

PS:  As the LVG remained open cockpit, imagine the suits, helmets, and plumbing those boys would wear!   

GTX

I'd like to do a Me-262 in a similar scheme to this one day:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!