One of my heros

Started by sotoolslinger, March 28, 2009, 03:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Here is my oldest surviving model

I built it about 5-6  years ago because my father in law told me that his father built P-51's at Dallas during the war and that had always been his favorite plane :wub:
I used all my (very rusty) skills and built him this for Christmas that year. He loved it :thumbsup: This weekend I have been helping clean up around his place as he is now confined to a nursing home .
I found this

That is Lucien Virgil Franklin standing in front of one of the many 'Stangs he built.
Salute to one of my heros :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Rafael

Wow. That's a very nice photo. My respects to the gentleman. I hope he's well taken care of. It's always hard. I know you'll treasure that find very dearly.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sotoolslinger

Thanks Rafa and thanks from my family :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

Zeke

Neat. The guys who built this kind of thing for the front lines are some the unsung heroes, that's for sure.
I wonder how long it took to make a Mustang back then? Probably not much longer than our plastic versions I bet... ;D

Kind regards to your old man.
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

sotoolslinger

Thanks Zeke :thumbsup: I'm not sure of the actual production rate but it was probably faster than mine :rolleyes: :lol:
I amuse me.

cthulhu77

Neat photograph, and a warming story ! 

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

BlackOps

Great gesture Ron. Thanks for sharing the build, the photo, and a little bit of history :cheers:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

Thanks Jeff. I married into a great family :wub:
I amuse me.

BlackOps

So did my wife Shhhhhh, don't tell her I said that!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Rafael

From what I gather, Ron, you have been a son to this man. And your admiration and respect tells. Not a Father-In-Law, but the real deal. That's a rare occurrence. As happened to me with my wife's mother. Love does that. :thumbsup:

Rafa
(love that Mustang!!)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Thanks Y'all ;D He makes a lot better dad than mine did :wub: Makes hot daughters too ;D :lol: :wub: :wub:
I amuse me.

cthulhu77

noxioux

I have to say, this is one of the big reasons I'm into this hobby.  When you can tie both your hobby, and the lives of your friends and family together, and stick it somewhere in the context of history it changes everything.

One of the best excuses for building a model is to do it for somebody like that. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: