polymorph plastic/putty stuff

Started by chrisonord, March 20, 2009, 05:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Has anyone here used this stuff?
I was just looking up alternatives(cheaper) to miliput, and saw this stuff
Polymorph reuseable thermoplastic repair compound putty
I quite like the look of this stuff, and any info would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Chris.

***repaired bad html link***
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Jeffry Fontaine

I have seen this product before but it was under a brand name that had something to do with arts and craft projects for children. 

They are calling the material nylon beads which may or may not be correct.  I would recommend that you venture forth and visit a crafts store near you and inquire about similar products that can be melted in hot or boiling water and moulded or formed into various shapes.   
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

frank2056

In the US it's known as "Friendly Plastic". I have some. It's basically a "hot glue" plastic that is much harder than the typical hot glue when set. You can melt it in water, or use a hot air gun (as long as you keep it close to the melting point and not higher).

Advantages - it's hard when set and will take acrylic paints

Disadvantages - it will stick firmly to silicone mold materials and other plastics. If you use a mold release, you have to make sure that the mold isn't too complex, because once the stuff hardens, it'll be difficult to remove from a mold with undercuts. Since it's not as hard as typical resins, it may deform when removing from a complex mold.

Also, if poured into a mold, the mold should be warm (or hot even) to prevent the plastic from hardening as it touches the mold.

As for carving - it's "slippery" - it's like trying to carve or trim a hot glue stick.

chrisonord

Right then...
Sounds like it has more problems than positives to me. I would have wanted to use it to mould engines with, but I think I will stick to the old fashioned hard way, as it seems easier after reading that Frank.
Cheers,
Chris.

sotoolslinger

Chris go to your local hardware store and see if they have "AQUAMEND" manufactured by Polymeric Systems Inc. It comes as a 2 part epoxy putty in a stick just like Millput. It is made for repairing fiberglass boats and stuff. It is what I use. All the big white puttied areas on my builds is made of it. It works under water , is structural (It is basically holding the Tomcat wings onto the Flanker fuselage ) and is cheap.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

chrisonord

Cheers Ron,
I will have a look for that stuff :thumbsup:
:cheers:
Chris.

frank2056

Using the plymorph/friendly plastic to make a mold would limit you to only certain shapes, since the stuff is not flexible. Plus, if you use water to soften it, some water will always stay trapped and it'll make a bubbly mess once you pour the resin in.

You could use it as a casting material, but again, the shape is critical.

Ron's suggestion of using a putty is good; some of the putties can be worked and smoothed with water. They would still have the problem of pulling a hardened piece out of a mold. If there are undercuts, it could be difficult, but at least the two part putties have a longer setting time, so you don't have to pre-heat the mold or rush.