Main Menu

DRAFTED!!!

Started by anthonyp, March 02, 2009, 06:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

I've been on a weird kick lately.  I think Alvis' winner for the KC-X competition over at ARC sent me over some cliff I hadn't seen coming in my Whiffing...

Civvies in NON-COMBAT military roles.  I'm talking all manner of aircraft available out there, in the drab greys, greens, and tans of the world's militaries, just doing mundane things like air-to-air refueling, cargo carrying, Sigint, AEW, SAR, etc.

I've gone so far as to go on an eBaying binge and bought a couple 747's that are going to end up in USAF colours (like a C-19 747-100 in Euro I, a KC-25B 747-200 in Shamu colour scheme, a C-33 747-400 in AMC grey, etc; these are actual designations, check out Global Security's Civvie to Military designation list).  Not to mention A340's, Il-86's, Il-96's, more DC-10's, MD-11's, 727's, 777's, etc.

Like I said, mundane subject, but it's really gripped my imagination as of late.  Maybe its because I'm running out of Sidewinders, or something...
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Weaver

Hmmmm - VC-10 R1, covered in aerials and bulges, busy doing "radar calibration" somewhere over the Baltic.....

Remember the Britten Norman AEW Defender, with the Sea King's AEW's Searchwater radar in a relatively huge radome on the nose? That was a bit silly, but what I always fancied was putting that setup in a Gannet style radome under a Basler Turbo-67 (turbo-Dakota). Since the latter has a fuselage plug as standard (to restore CofG with the lighter engines), the radome could be installed under that without even disturbing the Dak's basic structure.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

Bristol Superfreighter in Transport Command/Middle East Air Force colours?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 03, 2009, 04:23:04 AM
That was a bit silly, but what I always fancied was putting that setup in a Gannet style radome under a Basler Turbo-67 (turbo-Dakota). Since the latter has a fuselage plug as standard (to restore CofG with the lighter engines), the radome could be installed under that without even disturbing the Dak's basic structure.

Didn't Air Atlantique have a Dak configured with a radome once, albeit still with radials? I'm pretty sure I saw one like that at one of their open days a few years ago.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lancer

Hmmmm SOunds like it could be a good one.. I could ressurrect my BAe146 fleet
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Wondered about military transport versions for my Boeing SST kit(s).  Unfortunately the version with landing gear down has a nastilly warped nose, which was the main one I had plans for.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Cobra

Hey Guys, Think the Concorde would look Good in RN or US Navy Paint? been thinking about making it look like it was in the Gerry Anderson Series 'Stingray'!!!! what say You? :huh:

JayBee

Quote from: Cobra on March 03, 2009, 01:49:25 PM
Hey Guys, Think the Concorde would look Good in RN or US Navy Paint? been thinking about making it look like it was in the Gerry Anderson Series 'Stingray'!!!! what say You? :huh:
Foolish boy! Go for it!!!
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

jcf

All 'C' designations, historical and current.

http://www.driko.org/usdes_c.html

BTW the KC-25 designation used by Global Security is bogus, the C-25 designator is unique to
the VC-25A aka Air Force One. If the 747-100 tanker conversions done for Iran had received
a US designator, it is doubtful that it would have been C-25.

Jon

anthonyp

Global Security is like the Wikipedia of the military world  ;D

Meh, I'm still doing a KC-25B based on a 747-200.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Weaver

There's a few Constellation kits around at the moment: how about an air-sea-rescue variant with an updated version of the air-dropped lifeboat? Air refuelling tanker?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: anthonyp on March 04, 2009, 07:13:23 AM
Global Security is like the Wikipedia of the military world  ;D

Meh, I'm still doing a KC-25B based on a 747-200.

C-30 was evidently unused prior to Northrop-Grumman/EADS unofficial use during the tanker contest.
So why not a 747-200 based KC-30 developed from the experience with the Iranian tanker conversions?
Sure to cause great confusion at a modelling show.  ;D

Jon

nev

So effectively, this is a "Ploughshares into Swords" GB?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Blunted swords though!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nev

"Ploughshares into Blunted Swords GB".  I like it! :D  It has a catchy, whiffy ring to it :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May