Wessex Falklands color

Started by sandiego89, February 27, 2009, 08:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Can anyone provide a good color for a Fleet Air Arm Wessex HU.5 as used in the Falklands?  Especially looking for 848 Squadron on the Atlantic Conveyor.  Can not tell from the period pictures if they were the gloss green, or flat.  Or was it Grey?  Testor color matches would be best.  Have completed a scratch built 1/700 Atlantic Conveyor, but now need to paint her "air wing" she carried south. 

Thank you. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Wessex HU5s in 1/700? They must be tiny!

848 NAS had their aircraft done in the green finish when they shipped on the 'Atlantic Conveyor, and I guess it would have been semi-gloss by then. See below, port side row, 3rd a/c back. For some reason it seemed they never did put tarpaulins over all of that Wessex, just over the rotors, but all the others were fully covered.

See below for another HU5 operating from the after deck of the 'AC', but this a/c came from the 'Fearless' and wasn't lost with the ship.

I'd love to see piccies of your 'AC' as I'm making one in 1/144 scale! Do you have all the SHARS, GR3s and Chinooks loaded too? I have lots of photos on where they were parked etc. if it's of any help.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit