israeli cammo colours

Started by Weaver, January 20, 2009, 06:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

This should be an easy one for somebody. There's an Israeli cammo scheme, not as common now as it used to be, that might best be described as cream, chocolate and mint. You know the one; frequently seen on Kfirs.

Can anyone tell me the actual names of the colours, and how best to approximate them with Humbrol enamels, please? 
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Maverick

Weaver,

The scheme was referred to by some as "cafe au lait" and consisted of FS30219 Tan, FS33531 Middle Stone and FS34227 Medium Grey Green Uppers over FS35622 Light Blue lowers.  A later variation substituted FS34424 Light Grey Green for FS34227 and FS36375 Light Compass Grey for FS35622.  I'm assuming any paint company that has FS equivs would be able to supply the correct colours.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

Cheers Mav - I'll look into that.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Taiidantomcat

I had the hardest time finding that elusive "Israeli green" color, then I found a site where the builder used British Sky Type S:

http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/mod/kolbrakeet.htm

I used it to paint this and I think it is pretty "spot on"
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Shasper

It depends on the timeframe as to which green should be used as the Mirages/Neshers, Kfirs, F-4s and F-16s have sported shades of green more along the lines of Medium Green or even the old SAC Bomber Green (Med. Green used in the SIOP scheme) at various times. . . guess it just depends on what was mixed in the paint can & how recent the specific aircraft was painted when a picture was taken - vibrant colors, full sunlight & the arid conditions of a desert climate dont exactly play nice.

Hope that helps a lil, as soon as I get a better web connection I'll post a few pics to illustrate.

Shas 8)

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Shasper

Ok guys best I could do:

Kudos to the artist, but this profile also has the FS numbers for the greens.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Weaver

Cheers Shasper - that's a very useful image, since the A-10 has a not-dissimilar planform to the single-seat Magister (Trainers with Teeth GB) that prompted my question.

What I'm thinking of is that the Salvadorean AF, buying the Attack-Mags in the later 1970s, asked for "Cammo" and got the standard IAF "Newer" scheme. The Stone (FS 33531) was just too light though, so they got out the pots of Mid Green (FS 34258/34227) that came with their Ouragans and painted it over, leaving a narrow "string" of Stone around the edge of the area.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Update:

The dark green in Shasper's pic (early scheme) is more like FS.34227 (as suggested by Mav) than FS.34258, the latter being more "olivey".

FS.34227: http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=34227

FS.34258: http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=34258

- Indiana Jones