Natural Camouflage

Started by Eddie M., December 08, 2006, 07:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

Leigh,
  If you ever come down here, don't let the little ones drink the water. Look what it did to mine!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Here's some other residents of the reptile house. :) There were lots more cool reptiles that I photographed, but because I don't like to use a flash( I figure the animals see too many flashes without me adding to it), a lot of them came out blurry. I saw the biggest Diamondback rattler I have ever seen and I've seen a few. That sumbitch musta been as round as a soft ball. If I had to guess, it was 4 to 5 " in dia. Beautiful animal! B)  

Look behind you!

upnorth

QuoteI love these early Sikorsky Amphibians - does anyone produce kits of them?
Thanks for reminding me of the zebra striped one, I'd forgotten completely about it.

Looks like CMK made a 1/72 resin kit, here's a build up article:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/SikorskyS38.html
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

B777LR

does anybody know that a giraffe has a purple tung? ive fed one once!  

modelwoman

Quote from: lancer,Dec 9 2006, 03:57 PM

Anyone ever used Tiger stripe camo? :lol:

Yep they sure did lancer, the RN used this Tiger Stripe Camo on their Commando Seakings during the IFOR campaign in Bosnia.  Hubby has one in his collection painted in this camo scheme.

Cheers

Elsie

The Rat

Quotedoes anybody know that a giraffe has a purple tung? ive fed one once!
And looooooong too. Had one wrapped around my forearm and almost pulled the camera out of my hand.  :wacko:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

lancer

Love that shot of the Green Mamba, somehow they don't look as all out evil as the Black Mamba but still as nasty. That albino croc looks interesting and the Rattler looks a big sod from the picture.

Elsie, it was Leigh that asked about the tiger strip cammo. I love the tiger cammoed machines, see my tiger Lightning from this years Telford, so I knew about the commando Seakings already. You have to forgive Leigh, he gets a bit forgetful in his dotage. Not his fault really, I putit down to the wearing of tight red leather jackets which must impede the blood supply to his head... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

The Rat

QuoteLove that shot of the Green Mamba, ...
Green Tree Python I think...

Damn, gotta get a field guide other than North American.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

cthulhu77

Yep, green tree python, and the rattlesnake is an albino diamondback. The Aruba Island rattlesnake is pale, but doesn't have those ruby eyes, and you can see where what is supposed to be black (the diamond outline) is yellow instead. Neat animals!  Some good pics, lots of inspiration.  I am kind of suprised they put a Burmese albino python in with an African Rock Python though...odd. Must be out of room for the beasties during the winter months?

Greg

PanzerWulff

QuoteLove that shot of the Green Mamba, ...
Green Tree Python I think...

Damn, gotta get a field guide other than North American.
Actually that lovely green fellow is a Emerald tree Boa like this fellow here

they are beautiful anamals but can have a rather nasty temper
on another note heres my friend brian's ball python "Bossman"seen here on my shoulder he is about 4 feet long

and finaly two of my lil guy (Also a ball python) "Genjiro"

he is a young snake at about 14 inches in legnth.Before noticing this thread I was thinking of using a ball python's cammo pattern on a F-104
TTFN"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

The Rat

Yep, figured I had a chance of screwing them up, they're very similar, colours are almost identical I believe. Prime example of convergent evolution.

Now, what aircraft gets that treatment?

cthulhu77

The lip pits between pythons and boas are quite different. The first pic is of a Green Tree Python, the pits are divergent from the top snout to the bottom lip, whereas the Emerald Tree Boa, along with having different scalation(look at the nose), also has many more openings for heat reception along the upper lip.  ;)

cthulhu77

...As to what aircraft...holy smokes, the sky is the limit, no?  Convergent Camouflage?  Cool idea!

cthulhu77

It's too bad that we can't have aircraft that change colour in flight (so far as we all know, wink, wink) like these beautiful pythons!  Here is one of this year's juvies:
 (notice the orange colouration, turns to yellow, then to green)

jcf

I love these early Sikorsky Amphibians - does anyone produce kits of them?

Regards,

Greg
Czech Master Resin made kits of both aircraft...markings for the Johnson's aircraft are in the kits.

Pricey in the US and now hard to find, but very nice kits. I have both. An interesting note is that the "cover-painting" in the S-38 kit is by Tom Kalina...his regular job is as a pilot for the S.C. Johnson Co. and it his unfortunate duty to fly their S-38 'Carnauba' .  B)

NKR Models down your way has a listing for them:
NKR Czechmaster

Give it a try, they may have them in stock....and the price is much better than in the US.

Kits 72-127 and 72-128

Cheers, Jon

Radish

I came across a camouflage guide a few years ago, that encompasses military aircraft colours from all over the world.

It's a small but very well illustrated children's book on Dinosaurs.
Some of the colour combinations and patterns are terrific!!

Check out your bookshop and library NOW :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen