Messerschmitt Bf109 Ideas

Started by GTX, September 06, 2008, 02:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

Quote from: GTX on October 17, 2008, 12:58:47 PM
An interesting find - Me-109 V31 with belly radiator and wide undercarriage:

If memory serves me correctly, the main gear is fixed down.  This aircraft was a testbed for the gear and cooling system proposed for the Me-309.  Putting a wide-stance main gear on the Bf-109 would require considerable redesigning and restressing of the wing.  I won't say it couldn't be done, just that it'd be a decided effort to do so.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

sequoiaranger

>Putting a wide-stance main gear on the Bf-109 would require considerable redesigning and restressing of the wing.  I won't say it couldn't be done, just that it'd be a decided effort to do so.<

That's what they did with the Bf-109H (high-altitude version)--added a constant-chord wing section extending from the fuselage. It was as if the wing and landing gear of the normal Bf-109 were moved outward by about four feet. The attachment points for the landing gear on the "real" Bf-109 were on the fuselage, so I don't know quite how they worked it into the wing extension.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sagallacci

Also, the Me209V5 and beyond also had inward retracting main gear to go with the all new wing.

GTX

Americanised Bf-109 (or maybe that should be a Curtis product...):

and of course, one couldn't ignore the larger brother:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Quote from: apophenia on April 12, 2009, 03:26:13 PM
On the rivet-counting dweeb side, you don't need the P-40-style nose radiator. Attached is an XP-40 style cowling with just the oil cooler.

Yes, I know - but it looks better this way!

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Cybermax

Just a Bf109K-4 with wide undercarriage.  I modified a drawing from wiki and only the front view to demonstrate it.

sequoiaranger

A future build for me is YET ANOTHER 1/72-scale Bf-109T carrier fighter (I have made several of the "standard" ones), but this time I'll whif it a bit more. 1/65 Snap-Tite Bf-109 for slightly added bulk, Me-209 rear fuselage (will be a few feet longer when added onto the larger Bf-109 Snap-tite) and tall tail, Bf-109 H extended wings with wide-track undercarriage, and....Ki-100-type radial engine and nose (I've measured it--a perfect fit). I think I will keep the Bf-109 canopy/turtledeck for the Bf-109 *LOOK*, but am considering the BV-155 canopy.

Sorry, don't look for it anytime soon---other projects are in the near end of the pipeline. It's a DEFINITE MUST, as it will include the nose from an unused "master" for a Ki-100 limited-run resin kit I made for Model-Aire International back in the 80's. Turns out some parts of my master would have been too hard to mold, and Tom Young and I shelved the project anyway, since FineMolds had just come out with their injected version.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

famvburg

Like the Bf-109X?

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 15, 2008, 06:15:15 AM
On another thread (German forces in the Pacific), "Glenn" posted this pic of a German Ki-100 (hope it's OK to post, Glenn). That got me thinking about the "radial-engined Bf-109" also in another thread here and....since the Ki-61 Tony in-line-engined fighter is the basis for the Ki-100, why not put such a radial conversion on a Bf-109 (presuming some dire restriction on the output of DB-605's forcing Messerschmitt to look elsewhere for powerplants)??

famvburg

A little Post WWII, & maybe even a tad OT since it's regarding the Hispano Ha 1112 Spanish 109, I've wondered about a Reno racer based on the Ha 1112, using a Griffon with c/r props from a Shack, since the 1112 was already fitted with a Merlin, swapping to a Griffon would be easier. The c/r props would ease narrow gear issues It would be fitted with a larger tail in both horizontal & vertical area & of course a sleeker canopy & clipped wingtips.

elmayerle

How about just going with a more streamlined canopy rather than cutting down the rear fuselage for a smaller one?  *smile* Along those same lines, I've got the bits and pieces back home to take the contra-prop version of the Spitfire Mk.21 and add on the streamlined canopy from the "Speed Spitfire" to make a racer.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Daryl J.

Graft in a Ki-61 wing?   Or Mc-202 for that matter.

Sauragnmon

The Ki-61 wing wouldn't be too bad, if you used the 61-1 wing, and made sure it had the fittings for the 20mm guns - otherwise you're looking at one poorly armed machine even for a G-6/K-4 upgrade - four rifle caliber MGs, and a Motorcannon if you're lucky.  Two heavy MGs if you're looking at G-6/K-4 unless you add cannon fittings under the wings or other additional weapons.

Still plan on doing one though... and a Ki-61-III.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Daryl J.

Would the aircraft then be called 'Heinrich'??    :wacko: :wacko:

Daryl J.

ysi_maniac

I posted this in other thread:

Hi Gang,
What do you think about a Bf-109E (I like squared wings) with a nose of Buchón type, bouble top and squared tail fin/rudder?

apophenia suggested this:
Instead of lowering the '109 rear fuselage, what about raising the upper cowling Spiteful-style. That way, the canopy is raised and the pilot could sit above a larger fuel tank.

Well the point is ...: I have begun this project! :cheers:
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

Quote from: ysi_maniac on November 25, 2009, 07:19:51 AM
I posted this in other thread:

Hi Gang,
What do you think about a Bf-109E (I like squared wings) with a nose of Buchón type, bouble top and squared tail fin/rudder?

apophenia suggested this:
Instead of lowering the '109 rear fuselage, what about raising the upper cowling Spiteful-style. That way, the canopy is raised and the pilot could sit above a larger fuel tank.

Well the point is ...: I have begun this project! :cheers:

I guess it would have the appearance like a Me.262 Carlos
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike