Main Menu

Top Gear GB..?

Started by AeroplaneDriver, August 04, 2008, 10:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

I know there are a flood of new GB ideas floating around, but this is one that's been in the back of my head for a while, so in the spirit of "Brainstorming Season" I'll throw it out.

Top Gear is one of my favorite things on TV, and I know there are quite a few like-minded gentlemen on here.  Since The Right Honourable Jeremy Clarkson, Hamster, and Captain Slow are big practitioners of 1/1 scale whiffery with cars being turned into spacecraft, amphibs, stretch limos, etc, maybe we could do the same sort of thing with models.

The majority of the projects on here are aircraft, with the occasional boat, car, tank, etc.  It might be nice change to have an entire GB working around cars. 

My quick and dirty vision would be any car model, turned into something other than its intended form.  It could be turned into a spacecraft, aircraft, boat, submarine, tank, or just a different version of a roadgoing vehicle, as with the TG guy's attempts at limos and a convertible people carrier. 

So...any interest?  I mean, 'How hard can it be?'   ;D
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Maverick

Huge fan of TG here, but at times I have to wonder about Clarkson's taste in cars (But that of course is another matter).

I could see this as a goer, some cars deserve to be whiffed into something other than (the Countach comes to mind) and lets be honest, Bond has done it often enough :lol:

I'd certainly be up for this, only have to find a car model and think of something equally perverse.

Regards,

Mav

SinUnNombre

I'm more than in. If I ever get around to organizing my stash of car moderls, I'll post pics. I'm sure I can find one to hack a little. Hmmm......there's a nice Toyota Hilux kit bouncing around out there.......

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

Would this also include the concepts and ideas as put forth in "Jesse James' Outlaw Garage" to create one off special purpose vehicles? 

There was another show that did similar things with materials sourced from the junk yard.  I recall watching one episode that dealt with building a submersible ROV that had to navigate an obstacle course under remote control. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

pyro-manic

That'd be the one! I think they called it "Junkyard Wars" for the American version. Same premise, but they added a stupidly macho presenter (I think Henry Rollins did it), silly nu-metal soundtrack, etc. :D Very entertaining programme, though.

Quoteat times I have to wonder about Clarkson's taste in cars

He likes Ferraris. What more is there to say? :rolleyes:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Leigh

Only if it be in the rules that we do our conversions as badly as they do, and there's no way they would ever work. Mis-aligned parts, visible seams, scorch marks and dents a plus. Also it should spontaneously catch fire at any time. How hard can it be?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Leigh on August 05, 2008, 04:14:52 PM
Only if it be in the rules that we do our conversions as badly as they do, and there's no way they would ever work. Mis-aligned parts, visible seams, scorch marks and dents a plus. Also it should spontaneously catch fire at any time. How hard can it be?

I did forget to put in my original post that this should be an aspect of the build.  It should NOT look slick and professional, it should be modeled to represent the way the TG boys would do it. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....