Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Kiwi F-86H Sabres  (Read 1028568 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Sea Fury FB.52 300 INAS
« Reply #2100 on: June 23, 2019, 10:00:07 am »
Republic Lancer FB.2 - No.146 Squadron, RAF South East Asia Command, 1943

Both the Seversky P-35A and very similar Republic P-43A are both available from the DAT group and I've used an Aussie P-43A skin overpainted with SEAC markings, white fin and wing bands and I also knocked up some 'NA' codes. No.146 Squadron were one of the Brewster Buffalo squadrons but only for a few weeks before they received Hurricanes. I don't either the P-35 or P-43 received any interest from British Purchasing Commission but a 'what if' backstory would take that direction.

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #2101 on: June 25, 2019, 12:16:15 am »
BAC Thunderstrike GR.52 - 70 Stormo, Aeronautica Militare, 1991

This is an RAF Desert Storm skin by 'sundowner' given a bit of tinting to look more like the AMI Tornadoes that took part in 'Operazione Locusta' - more of a sandy-mustard colour that desert pink. All decals are new, not that many were needed as many pictures of the Operazione Locusta Tornadoes show no national markings and no squadron markings - sometimes just a two-digit number on the fin.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2102 on: June 29, 2019, 03:40:22 am »
Convair B-58C Hustler - 17th Light Bombardment Wing, United States Air Force - Tactical Air Command, 1969

A new B-58A was released recently by the prolific 'Veltro2K' and I was able to make this 'night' scheme for it as a template is included. Yay!! I think this 'black' scheme looks quite badass and it's a bit of a nod towards the Douglas B-26C's used in Korea. I knocked up a new red starbar and USAF decals in that dark shade of red and a couple of serial numbers. I've deliberately chosen Tactical Air Command as Convair did propose several B-58 developments for SAC, TAC and ADC but not the US Navy!

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - B-58C Night Hustler
« Reply #2103 on: July 01, 2019, 11:18:19 pm »
BAC F-112C Thunderstrike - 497th Tactical Fighter Squadron, USAF, 1972

With limited time on my hands at the moment I treated this as a bit of a speed-build and used the anti-flash white skin by 'sundowner' from the original TSR.2 release (from 2008 I think) inverted the colours to give a black skin but then added a 60% black layer to dampen down the brightness and added new ejection triangles and the national insignia directly onto the skin bitmaps. I thought red codes would look cool on the fin and then I made a schoolboy error with the 497th TFS 'nosebars' by having a black outer ring which is, of course, the same colour as the skin. More haste less speed!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2104 on: July 05, 2019, 11:19:19 am »
Lockheed F-104CA Starfighter - No.5 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, 1970

Whilst I've never really been a fan of the F-104 Starfighter it is quite a cool-looking jet and it's featured in Strike Fighters ever since the game/sim hit the market in 2001 and apart from the ubiquitous 'G' model the 'A' and 'C' have also been covered as well as the CF-104 used here to create a white-tailed RAAF bird.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2105 on: July 06, 2019, 10:59:15 am »
Northrop Grumman F-14Z Stealth Cat - VF-31, United States Navy, 2019

No input from me except to take these screenshots of the spiffing F-14Z Stealth Cat by the 1 25 Studio from South Korea. I can see that it's been shown before on the forum but this is the first time I've got my hands on it. It's very impressive and comes with weapons and tanks that also have that chiselled look.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:00:55 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2106 on: July 07, 2019, 11:23:49 am »
Grumman-Panavia Tomcat FGR.6 - No.17 Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 2002

I'm very impressed with the F-14Z and couldn't resist an RAF multi-role Tomcat created by overpainting the USN markings and adding suitable decals. On my previous RAF Tomcats (using the conventional F-14A) I've used large fuselage 'bars' (like Treble-One squadron's lightning flash for example) but the facetted nature of the fuselage means that's not practical and a simple roundel works best.. There's much to admire with this 'payware' add-on from 2016 - it really is an awesome package and I do hope the developer has forged a career for himself (or herself) in 3D modelling or gaming.

BTW eagle-eyed viewers will notice a Sidewinder that appears after take-off as I've used two missions to gather some screenshots

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2107 on: July 08, 2019, 11:04:43 pm »
BAC-Boeing RF-112EJ Thunderstrike - 501st Hikotai, Japanese Air Self-Defense Force, 1988

This is a beautiful JASDF skin by 'sundowner' with the iconic Woody Woodpecker emblem adopted by the 501st TRS's RF-4J's. The only changes I've made is to use the stock F-4EJ serial numbers. There's a lot going on here on this advanced TSR.2 with a F-4E style M61 cannon, TISEO/TCS, P&W turbofan engines, sealed up bombay, wingtip Sidewinders, Recce pod and a revised cockpit layout being the most obvious. Note the F-14Z's in the background of piccie 2.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2108 on: July 10, 2019, 04:28:20 am »
McDonnell Douglas F-4DJ Phantom - 501st Hikotai, Japan Air Self-Defense Force, 1986

We haven't had a Phantom here for a while so I've taken one of the lovely JASDF camo skins from the stock F-4EJ add-on and applied it to the F-4K 3D model. It needed a few tweeks to fit the short nose and add back in the Spey nozzles but I saved loads of time by just using the stock decals with some tiny changes to placement. I see this as a TF-30 powered Phantom that pre-dates the British Spey Phantom and have previously shown it in service with TAC (below).

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:33:20 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2109 on: July 13, 2019, 04:55:49 am »
North American Vigilante S.1 - No.49 Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 1968

This is the A3J-1 (A-5A) Vigilante by 'Julhelm' a very talented 3D modeller from Sweden who I believe works in the industry nowadays but contributed so many good 3D models to the Strike Fighters community especially during the early years and he liked a bit of whiffery too. I've previously done his RA-5C Vigilante in anti-flash white and thought I'd try the earlier 'humpless' Vigilante. This took me a lot longer than expected due to a mis-match between the 3D model and the skin templates and is still not quite right but good enough for screenshots.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2110 on: July 15, 2019, 03:58:53 am »
Convair Velocity B.1 - No.100 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, 1965

Now I've definitely done an RAF 'anti-flash white' Hustler before but as this is a new 3D model (by the prolific Veltro2K) I thought I'd do another one knocking up a couple of 'XP' serial numbers decals and also pale ejection triangles only to find I can't them to appear under the small window of the third crew member. Ah, well. No.100 Squadron, alongside No.139 Squadron, were one of the two Victor B.2 squadrons and both were briefly equipped with Blue Steel. BTW I'm open to offers on a more exciting V-Bomber name!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2111 on: July 15, 2019, 06:00:54 am »
Bell P-39Z Jetcobra - United States Army Air Force, 1945

Another Veltro2K 3D model but this time a 'what if' based on a plastic model and one that might well have originated from here! Anyway, these are the two excellent skins that came with it so there's no input from me except to take the screenshots.

I'll be taking a short break to get some admin done on my other hobby and hope to return early next week.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2112 on: July 31, 2019, 12:41:52 am »
Supermarine Seafire FR.46 - No.870 Squadron, Royal Canadian Navy, 1952

Well, I've quite enjoyed my half-a-month break!

A lovely 'stand-in' Seafire FR.47 was released recently by 'Amariani' over at Combat Ace using the stock Third Wire Spitfire F.24 and he's done a lovely skin for it including adding the camera ports. I've added a red spinner and some new RCN markings and gone for using a made up FR.46 designation. HMCS Bonaventure is in my install but is a bit too modern for this Seafire so I might try and find if there is a HMCS Magnificent or convert something.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:49:52 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2113 on: August 10, 2019, 10:57:45 am »
Grumman Bearcat FB.1 - 778 Naval Air Squadron, Royal Navy, 1946

A nice template by 'Geary' for the venerable Bearcat (quite an elderly 3D model) was released recently and I thought I'd make an early post-war Royal Navy version using Type C markings just for it not to look too much like a Sea Fury - mind you, nothing looks as good as a Sea Fury... right? I've downloaded an Essex class carrier and converted it to Royal Navy but the carrier deck isn't populated like the stock carriers and that's something I need to teach myself someday. BTW apologies for the pilot who looks more late 1950's than mid-1940's.

That's better! Many thanks to Capun from the DAT Group for giving me two vital clues towards fixing my empty carrier syndrome.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:10:57 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Bearcat FB.1 778 NAS
« Reply #2114 on: August 28, 2019, 03:58:41 am »
International Engineering Angel F.1 - Spectrum Air Force, 2069

Apologies for the long break. I was taking a bit of a break in July to sort out a couple of cycle races I organise and chill-out and enjoy the Tour de France but we've had a family illness and subsequent bereavement (my ladywife's Dad - such a nice man) that's knocked us for six and it'll only be after next weeks funeral that we'll get back into our normal routines.

Anyway, with the rain keeping me inside I thought I'd check-in with the new releases at Combat Ace and this lovely Angel Interceptor was there created by my fellow South Walian 'russouk2004' who is a keen what-iffer and has some British-themed goodies bubbling away on the backburner.