Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - AFDS F-100D's  (Read 1151857 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #810 on: June 03, 2012, 02:30:06 am »
PZL-230F 'Skorpion' - Parani Air Force, 2006

Started in the mid-1980's the PZL-230 'Skorpion Projekt' was an ambitious attempt to provide the Polish Air Force with an affordable modern attack aircraft but in 1990 the Polish Air Force cranked in further requirements for speed, range and payload leading to a heavier and ultimately more expensive aircraft. By 1991 Poland was enduring a difficult transition from a communist to a capitalist economy and the project appeared to be heading for cancellation but the management team at PZL Okęcie were convinced that a sizeable market existed for the 'Skorpion Projekt' and actively sought a partner to develop their design eventually approaching several aerospace companies in Europe, the US and former USSR but to no avail. However, in January 1992 representatives from the state-owned Parani Aviation Company (PAC - who had developed the indigenous Piranha jet fighter in the late 1950's) contacted PZL to propose a collaboration to develop and produce the Skorpion for their respective air forces and for export.

At an early stage it was agreed to have two assembly lines with PZL to be responsible for all Polish orders and subsequent European exports and PAC to be responsible for all Parani orders and all exports outside of Europe. It is understood that Paran agreed to accept a higher split on development costs because of the wider export market open to them. With heavy financial backing from oil-rich Paran the design and development moved quickly and the prototype Skorpion took to the skies in October 1995 and was soon joined by the first of a pre-production batch of 8 Skorpions eventually forming a bi-service development squadron based in Paran and taking advantage of the clear skies over the Parani desert.

Paran claimed priority for deliveries and formed the first Skorpion squadron in 1998 with Poland deferring deliveries for their own air force until 2001 due to financial pressures but by this time the Skorpion had become a modest export success with PZL securing exports to many of the former Soviet Union client states but with PAC only exporting a few Skorpions to Syria.

I'm not too sure about the looks of this real world but unbuilt project but it's certainly one of the best air-to-ground aircraft in Planet Strike Fighters!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:30:29 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #811 on: June 03, 2012, 11:05:10 am »
PZL-230F 'Skorpion' - Moldovan Air Force, 2009

A nice, easy to use, template exists for the Skorpion so I decided to do one of the export customers for the Polish produced PZL-230F. This Moldovan 'Lizard Splinter' scheme uses a version of the Moldovan roundel without the white circle (for obvious reasons) and I've gone for a modified flag for the fin flash as I don't like to see roundels or stars repeated on fins.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 11:27:25 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #812 on: June 03, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »
PZL-230F 'Skorpion' - Ukrainian Air Force, 2010

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #813 on: June 04, 2012, 11:18:58 am »
Grumman F-29A Polecat - 4th TFS, 388th TFW, USAF, 2004

Not much input from me on this as it comes with this USAF skin and decals but I'll put it into service with another nation over the next day or so. The very talented 'Dels' is the creator of the 'Polecat' (a slightly suspect name for a Grumman product) and he also has the F-23 to his credit.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #814 on: June 05, 2012, 05:56:38 am »
Grumman F-29C Polecat - 124th Fighter Squadron, 132nd Fighter Wing, Iowa ANG, 2006

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #815 on: June 05, 2012, 08:17:04 am »
Grumman F-29F Polecat - HävLLv 31, Ilmavoimat, 2008

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #816 on: June 05, 2012, 12:22:13 pm »
Grumman/Atlas F-21C Cheetah - VMFA-541, United States Marine Corps, 1996

The Atlas Cheetah add-on for Strike Fighters is a very clever conversion that grafts on the many extra bits to a Mirage IIIE in much the same way that we plastic modellers would tackle the job. It comes with the grey skin with SAAF markings but I've put it into service with the USMC and used the 'F-21' designation as, in my timeline, it predates the Kfir!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:50:22 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #817 on: June 06, 2012, 07:32:01 am »
Shenyang F-8IIMK - 21st Fighter Aviation Regiment, Kazakhstan Air Force, 2004

I've always liked the Finback and this is the F-8IIMK - a fictional export version for Kazakhstan (I bet that went down well in Moscow). The skin is the one that comes with the original PLAAF version and I've created new decals including a 'nosebar' decal that's a complete work of fiction but includes elements of the Kazakhstan flag. If anyone knows if there are rules for how the roundels stars should face then please let me know as I'll probably do some more Kazakh 'what ifs' in the near future.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:11:05 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #818 on: June 06, 2012, 11:45:46 am »
Chengdu F-10 'Vanguard' - 1st Aviation Fighter Regiment, Tajikistan Air Force, 2012

I've shown the 'Vigorous Dragon' before but this time decided to use another new (for me) country and another former Soviet state - Tajikistan. I'm not sure whether they use stars on their fin but I've elected to use their flag as a fin flash, just a personal preference of mine. In the real world, their air force is primarily helicopters with literally a handful of L-39C trainers.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #819 on: June 07, 2012, 09:00:19 am »
Sukhoi Su-17C - 2nd Aviation Regiment, Kyrgyzstan Air Force, 1993

I love the Fishpot and Fitter series of aircraft there's something so basic and crude about them - tube, wings, tail, brute force engine - let's fly! Su-7's are stock aircraft in game (non-flyable but that's easily fixed) whilst the Fishpot's and swing-wing Fitters are well-catered for as add-on aircraft. This is Amokfloo's Su-17C in service with the embryonic air force of Kyrgyzstan and, again, the 2nd Fighter Aviation Regiment is totally fictional as is their nose marking but it does pick up on elements of their flag (used as a fin flash).

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #820 on: June 07, 2012, 01:38:27 pm »
MiG-27K 'Flogger-M' - 279th Shipborne Fighter Aviation Regiment, Soviet Naval Aviation, 1990

Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic has made it so much easier to get aircraft onto carrier decks and this is Gepard's MiG-27K aboard the Kiev.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #821 on: June 08, 2012, 12:48:11 am »
MiG-23MK - Ukraine Naval Aviation, 1996

About to depart the Varyag during sea trials in 1996

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #822 on: June 08, 2012, 07:51:36 am »
Panavia F-19A Tornado - 79th TFS, 20th TFW, USAFE, 1986

This is Florian's (Amokfloo) Luftwaffe Tornado and it comes with this cracking three-tone skin. I was going to 'Tornadoski' it (picture it with a big red star on that big fin) and I might well come back and do just that but for now it's in service with USAFE.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #823 on: June 08, 2012, 09:16:16 am »
Grumman-Dornier F-11D 'Super Tiger' - MFG1, West German Marineflieger, 1964

Grumman’s disappointment with the Wright J65 engine in their promising F11F (Tiger) led to them following a similar path to Lockheed and designing an improved aircraft based around the outstanding General Electric J79 engine. As an interim measure, and mainly at their own expense, Grumman modified two F11-F1’s and fitted J79-GE-3A engines to them and the performance and reliability was so greatly improved that Grumman were soon issuing brochures to anyone in the US Navy who would listen.

However, with the F8U-1 Crusader running on a similar timescale and the McDonnell F4H-1 in the pipeline, the US Navy politely declined Grumman’s offer. Undaunted, Grumman studied the market that was opening up in Europe and looked beyond any possible small-scale orders from the Royal Navy and the French Aeronavale. In particular, West Germany appeared to be a whole and potentially lucrative market in itself with the Luftwaffe and Marineflieger possibly requiring 600+ aircraft. Grumman knew that their design was a more flexible aircraft than the compromised ‘straight-line’ Lockheed F-104 and the under-developed English Electric Lightning whilst Dassault did not appear to want to hang bombs on his beautiful delta-winged Mirage III!

Grumman’s ‘Super Tiger’ proposal to the Federal German Government was for a multi-role fighter with good air-to-air capability. During late 1958 their proposal was keenly studied by Federal German officials but against Lockheed’s F-104G the Super Tiger looked a bit austere and appeared to be out of contention. However, in January 1959 the Federal German Government stirred the pot by suggesting that they were considering authorising the purchase of two ex-British aircraft carriers for the Marine which allowed Grumman to remind Federal German Government officials that their proposal was carrier capable whereas the others were decidedly not. Sensing a breakthrough, in February 1959 Grumman teamed-up with Dornier to develop the Super Tiger and manufacture any Federal German orders. In March 1959 an order was placed for 400 Super Tigers to be jointly built by a Grumman-Dornier consortium.

Another off the shelf 'what if' this one and it comes with a JG71 skin and the MFG1 skin seen above. Right, time to catch a bit of Euro 2012.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:54:21 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #824 on: June 09, 2012, 01:18:41 am »
Grumman F-11D Super Tiger - 154° Gruppo 6° Stormo, Aeronautica Militare, 1966

I've added a customised 'Diablo' fin to the Super Tiger and overpainted AMI roundels over the Luftwaffe markings. I reckon it looks like a 1960's AMX!