Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - AFDS F-100D's  (Read 1151854 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - CAC Murangal Mk.II - RAAF 1942
« Reply #780 on: May 01, 2012, 11:47:55 am »
The "BF" code was used by 5 Sqn RAAF (flying CAC Boomerangs) during WW2.

Thanks mate. I loved that little Airfix kit of the Boomerang (released mid-70's IIRC).

Edit: Not 'what ifs' but the Boomerang is available as an add-on and comes with these two cracking skins!

FFI http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:45:08 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #781 on: May 02, 2012, 12:21:27 pm »
Chance-Vought Corsair - No.5 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, 1945

I find the white-tailed Aussie aircraft of WW2 quite attractive so thought I'd put the bent-wing bird into RAAF service in that scheme.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #782 on: May 05, 2012, 02:58:59 am »
Hawker Hunter Mk.54 - No.87 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, 1956

Combining SF2:Europe and Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 2 gives you access to most versions of the single-seat Hunter in European service including Denmark and their Hunter Mk.51's has the drab green skin seen late in their service and I've used this skin for an Aussie Hunter Mk.54 with WW2 roundels. For simplicity, I've kept the white tail to the fin and rudder only. The nose marking is fictitious but does use No.87's real badge and reading up a bit on this squadron and the origins of their badge has revealed to me that I should have given them a 'photo' bird to operate*. Surprisingly, the 'Mk.54' designation appears to be unused in Hunter variants.

* From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._87_Squadron_RAAF

Explanation of the No. 87 Squadron badge

The Sun

The sun represents the Squadron's role in maintaining knowledge and understanding of its adversaries

The Quill

The quill represents the Squadron's analytical and communications capabilities, as the ability to impart knowledge is as important as the ability to acquire it

The Sword

The sword represents the Squadron's role in the conduct of warfare

Squadron Motto

'We See and We Fight' (originally 'Videmus Militamus' on the previous badge) – highlights the importance of intelligence in detecting, locating and identifying the enemy in the successful conduct of air operations and the Squadron's role in both the offensive and defensive aspects of air warfare.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:11:15 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #783 on: May 05, 2012, 05:06:49 am »
Looking at the Boomerangs, how about Boomerangs instead of Buffalos for the Far-East squadrons (453?) that faced the Japanese?

Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation Boomerang Mk.1 - No.243 Squadron, RAF Far East Command, January 1942*

* Thank goodness we're in WHIFLAND as CAC would have really needed to have got a wiggle on to have had this RAF Boomerang in service during late 1941 as the first prototype didn't actually fly until May 1942.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:43:55 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #784 on: May 05, 2012, 01:19:27 pm »
Martin-Baker MB.5 - No.5 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, 1946

The MB.5 has always held a fascination for me since reading an article about it (and the preceding MB.3 and MB.4) in an old 'Air International'. This skin comes with the MB.5 and I've added RAAF markings and a white spinner but sadly the 3D model has a couple of problems including a tear somewhere that causes decals to bleed out to unwanted areas. Nevertheless, the skins that come with it are excellent and it captures the look of this powerful looking fighter.

BTW Page 42 shows Australia's own 'Mustang copy' - the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation CA-15B Kangaroo.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:57:38 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #785 on: May 06, 2012, 03:14:38 am »
LTV A-7D Corsair II - No.25 Squadron, Pakistan Air Force, 1975

During the 1973 Yom Kippur War a large number of Pakistan Air Force pilots immediately volunteered to fight against Israel with an initial batch of 16 pilots arriving in Egypt in mid-October and with further batches planned for Syria. This quickly came to the attention of President Nixon who despatched Henry Kissinger to Karachi to meet persuade Pakistan President Zulfikar Ali Bhutto to keep Pakistan out of any involvement in the conflict. Whilst the nature of this meeting between Kissinger and Bhutto has never been revealed it is known that Pakistan Air Force pilots in Egypt were immediately withdrawn and those on their way to Syria were turned around. Can it be a coincidence that in early 1974 30 ex-USAF A-7D's were gifted to Pakistan?

Done as a request for someone over at Combat Ace.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #786 on: May 06, 2012, 12:42:18 pm »
General Dynamics F-111C - No.1 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, 1974

A really nice F-111 template makes a retro 'Pig' very easy to achieve and, again, I've confined the white tail to the rudder only (the F-111 tail is seriously broad and would dominate). The nose markings are fictional but incorporate No.1 squadron's badge and the yellow/gold on the checks is from the fin 'flashes' seen on real world F-111C's.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #787 on: May 07, 2012, 08:34:14 am »
Mikoyan MiG-29O - No.6 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, 1988

I was skimming through the archives over at Combat Ace and came across the first of two MiG-29 add-ons that have been released for Strike Fighters. This is the first, by Michael "wpnssgt" Engle, and it comes with the three good Soviet schemes shown above to which I've added a basic set of RAAF decals with a No.6 Squadron tail decal I did for an Aussie B-47 (Page 44).

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #788 on: May 12, 2012, 12:20:17 am »
Yak-41 'Freestyle' - Ukrainian Naval Aviation, 1999

I bit the bullet on this and spent a few hours knocking up a simple template for this one. Once I'd selected my 'Swedish Aggressor Splinter' scheme it cried out for Ukrainian markings (a first for me). The whole dissolution of the Soviet Union throws up some fascinating 'real world' incidents and a rich source of what if's! For instance, the Kuznetsov was constructed in a Ukrainian shipyard so what if the Ukrainians didn't want to hand it over.

And along similar lines, this is from wiki...

Early in 1992, part of the Black Sea Fleet personnel had begun to swear allegiance to the people of Ukraine. Starting in January, the Ukrainian oath was taken by the personnel of the Training Company at the Naval Diving School, the 880th Detached Battalion of the Naval Infantry (Marines) Brigade, and various naval surface ships.[8]

The current history of the Ukrainian Naval Forces started on August 1, 1992 when it was formally established by order of the President of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk. This was followed by a long and controversial partition of the Soviet Black Sea Fleet between newly independent Ukraine and the Russian Federation.

One of the episodes of this process was the story of the SKR-112 - effectively the first Ukrainian Navy ship.[9] On July 20, 1992, the crew of SKR-112 declared itself a Ukrainian ship and raised the Ukrainian flag. The Navy headquarters in Moscow considered this a mutiny and attempted to act accordingly. But the ship left its base on the Crimean peninsula for Odessa, causing an armed chase and collision attempts by ships still loyal to Moscow. Soon several other ships, auxiliary vessels, and coastal units of the Black Sea Fleet followed SKR-112's decision but with less violent outcomes.

Updated to add radome and the correct Ukrainian Naval Aviation roundel (with anchor).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:48:57 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #789 on: May 12, 2012, 07:48:30 am »
Yak-41M Freestyle - Ukrainian Air Force, 2004

Perhaps the Ukrainian Air Force adopted a 'Flygvapnet' style splinter scheme!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #790 on: May 12, 2012, 11:42:54 am »
Yak-41M Freestyle - Ukrainian Air Force, 2006

Now available for download at Combat Ace!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:53:15 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #791 on: May 14, 2012, 11:42:31 am »
General Dynamics F-16E 'Scamp' - 496th Tactical Fighter Squadron, USAF, 1991

I'm a bit short of time tonight so here is an off the peg 'what if' using the F-16XL created by Michael "wpnssgt" Engle back in the day and it comes with this lovely 496th TFS skin and also a Ferris skin which I'll show at another time but with another nations markings.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #792 on: May 15, 2012, 11:53:52 am »
General Dynamics Falcon GR.4 - No.6 Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 1989

As mentioned, the F-16XL also comes with this Ferris scheme to which I've added RAF 'B' type and 'Flying Can-Openers' markings. Perhaps this scheme was a temporary washable distemper scheme applied to the RAF's Falcon GR.4's when deployed to Norway.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #793 on: May 16, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »
Lockheed Martin/Boeing F-22K Raptor GR.3 - No.17 Squadron, RAF South East Asia Command, 2018

The F-22A add-on for Strike Fighters is a real 'Top 10' all-time best and I found a USAF 'Euro One' (or is it 'Lizard') skin for it to which I've added RAF SEAC markings with No.17 Squadron zig-zags. In game, the Storm Shadows are awesome!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #794 on: May 19, 2012, 10:55:41 am »
Northrop–McDonnell Douglas F-23E Spiderstrike - 510th TFS, USAFE, Aviano, Italy, 2013

A nice template for the F-23 has enabled me to use a 'Euro One' version of my splinter design and some new lo-viz decals and basic codes.