Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - AFDS F-100D's  (Read 1151850 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2010, 05:50:34 am »
Aero Vodochody L.23 - Czechoslovak Air Force, 1961

Now available for download at Combat Ace!

The stock Super Mystere is another one of those types that is an 'AI' non-flyable but can be converted to flyable with a little editing work. I've previously done this as a Supermarine Skylark F.1 but with my current theme of 'Sovietisation' then I thought it would look good with Czech markings. Stock aircraft are great in that they are blank canvas with no national markings so all I've done is add a Soviet style green fin-tip, added a bit of colour to the intake lip, done my own Czech roundel (just a bit more opaque than the stock one) and learnt how to orientate them according to Comrade Jostein and by looking at pictures from my MiG Design Bureau book. I hope I've got it right!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:27:59 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2010, 09:54:44 am »
Aero Vodochody L.23 - Luftstreitkräfte

The success of the Aero L.23 flight-test programme led to its adoption by several WARPAC states including East Germany who operated it alongside MiG-17's and MiG-19's from 1959 onwards.

Edited to add yellow intake and a fictitious unit badge to Picture 4 (info on East German miltary aircraft isn't easy to find!).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:05:46 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2010, 12:58:22 am »
Yakovlev Yak-39 - Luftstreitkräfte

Just a one-off this one as I'm itching to do something silver with swept-wings.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2010, 08:23:26 am »
Republic Aviation F-84J Thunderstreak - HavLLv31 Finnish Ilmavoimat

With Finland being ever anxious to maintain it's neutrality it was surprising that in June 1954 the Finnish government elected to purchase the Republic Thunderstreak F-84J. However, in typical  Finnish fashion the purchase of 40 F-84J's was organised via the Swedish government and the aircraft chosen could hardly be called 'state of the art' being essentially a warmed-up Thunderstreak with the General Electric J73-GE5EX engine (non-afterburning and rated at 9,000lbs thrust) shoehorned in. No munitions were supplied, not even drop-tanks and SAAB were chosen to prepare the aircraft for service with four British Hispano cannon replacing the six 0.5 calibre machine guns of the standard F-84F and a strong 'neutral' flavour throughout, even to the extent of carrying mainly Swedish or Soviet weapons, including the Atoll air-to-air missile. Entering service with HavLLv31 in 1956 the aircraft equipped two squadrons and gave the Ilmavoimat a taste of a 'modern' swept-wing fighter although the F-84J was certainly no F-86 Sabre and, presumably, that was the whole point!

Thanks for your comments guys, I've quite enjoyed this last one being quite fond of this pugnacious brute and also Finnish national markings. However, I do need more Finnish squadron markings. I have previously done that bat in clouds on a blue background without realising that it was also HavLLv31 (I thought it was a different squadron). So if you have any references please give me a link - Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:38:39 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2010, 12:20:21 pm »
Republic Aviation F-84J Thunderstreak - HavLLv11 Finnish Ilmavoimat

Available for download at Combat Ace!

The HavLLv11 markings are a bit of fantasy but are based on the charging bull and colours of the one 'Fighter Squadron 11' patch that I've seen.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:41:40 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2010, 10:56:21 pm »
MiG I-104bis - The Soviet Super Starfighter

I've been lucky enough to have been given the above to try out by the two Italian modders (take a bow paulopanz and Spillone104) who've created it so I thought I'd get a few more pictures. Apart from the added canards and LERXs there are the typically Soviet IRTS and belly gun plus the RD-33 engine from the MiG-29. Final touches are that exact shade of green for the fin and radome and I especially like those shapely MiG-21 fuel tanks that just add to the Sovietisation.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2010, 12:56:11 pm »
MiG I-104bis - Egyptian Air Force

I didn't think that the bigger Anab missiles would fit but they do and look pretty darn good slung below the small wings of this aircraft and I really do like those tip-tanks!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2010, 02:28:14 pm »
Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - No.14 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force (attached to RAF SEAC)

Inspired by jeremak's SEAC Kiwi roundel! I've got No.75 squadron decals all made up but not had enough time to take the piccies tonight.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 04:13:35 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2010, 04:18:39 am »
Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - No.75 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force (attached to RAF SEAC)

Available for download at Combat Ace! (soon)

Jeremak's idea of a 'Kiwi' SEAC roundel was inspired and will be re-visited by me sometime in the future, probably starting with an iconic product from St. Louis. I'm saying no more!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:14:06 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2010, 11:35:54 am »
McDonnell Douglas Phantom F-4M - No.2 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force (attached to RAF SEAC)

The older 'Wings Over Europe' game came with a nice 'Euro One' scheme for USAF F-4D's but, sadly, this scheme didn't make the cut for the new 'Series 2' games - a real shame. The new F-4's are mapped slightly differently so the old F-4D bitmaps were re-sized from 512x512 to 1024x1024 and married to the newer F-4M skin bitmaps - a bit of a 'cut and shut' but it seems to have worked out OK! I think I'll redo these Kiwi F-4M's with the red/blue tactical markings seen on the A-4's with a backstory of having been passed on when retired from the RAF in the late 1980's.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:05:49 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2010, 12:57:35 pm »
McDonnell Douglas Phantom FGR.2's - No.2 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force

During the build up to Operation Corporate (the UK's military operation to retake the Falkland Islands) the UK Government were overwhelmed at the support given by the countries of the Commonwealth and, in particular, the response of the Australian and New Zealand Governments who provided ships to maintain the UK's NATO commitments and allow the Royal Navy to maximise the number of ships it could send to the South Atlantic.

In the following years there were many reciprocal deals made and favours given to the Commonwealth nations (and even Chile!) and one such 'favour' was the transfer of 18 ex-RAF Phantom FGR.2's in 1988. The 18 FGR.2's, only recently withdrawn from RAF service, were ferried out to New Zealand (most still in their dirty grey camo scheme) during Operation Saddleback before arriving at Ohakea for refurbishment by a joint McDonnell Douglas/RNZAF team that saw the aircraft eventually emerge in a new 'Euro One' style camo scheme and with digital INAS, upgraded RWR and new outer wing panels. Entering service with No.2 squadron in late 1989 (supposedly as the Kārearea but they were always simply called Phantoms) the aircraft gave good service to the Royal New Zealand Air Force during the 1990's until finally being retired in December 2001 when, indeed, all 'Air Combat Force' aircraft were sadly withdrawn from service.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:12:22 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2010, 01:10:54 am »
HESA Saeqeh 'Thunderbolt' - Parani Air Force

Now available for download at Combat Ace!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:14:31 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2010, 06:14:42 am »
McDonnell Douglas Phantom F.7 - No.23 Squadron, Royal Air Force

Any chance of a 23 Sqn F7 in Barley Grey?  :ph34r:

I couldn't find the No.23 squadron skin so I've converted my Phantom F.7 skin by darkening the upper wing panels as far as the wing-fold and adding my No.23 squadron markings with smaller national markings but still not as small as those stupidly small ones seen on some RAF aircraft (and don't get me started on having roundels on one wing only :banghead:).

Anyway, whilst not a true 'Barley Grey' it does give a good impression of what a Phantom F.7 would look like so let's call it a 'Barely Grey' scheme!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2010, 01:09:20 pm »
McDonnell Douglas Phantom F-4M - Jagdgeschwader 71 'Richthofen' West German Air Force

Good call trekaddict!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:51:13 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2010, 10:41:50 pm »
McDonnell Douglas Phantom F-4M - JG 74 Mölders

I thought I'd bang the Luftwaffe decals onto my adapted USAF F-4M camo. Different, but I prefer the standard Luftwaffe scheme.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:45:21 pm by SPINNERS »