Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Northrop Talon T.2 - No.79 Sqd  (Read 1042902 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #795 on: May 07, 2012, 08:34:14 am »
Mikoyan MiG-29O - No.6 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, 1988

I was skimming through the archives over at Combat Ace and came across the first of two MiG-29 add-ons that have been released for Strike Fighters. This is the first, by Michael "wpnssgt" Engle, and it comes with the three good Soviet schemes shown above to which I've added a basic set of RAAF decals with a No.6 Squadron tail decal I did for an Aussie B-47 (Page 44).

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #796 on: May 12, 2012, 12:20:17 am »
Yak-41 'Freestyle' - Ukrainian Naval Aviation, 1999

I bit the bullet on this and spent a few hours knocking up a simple template for this one. Once I'd selected my 'Swedish Aggressor Splinter' scheme it cried out for Ukrainian markings (a first for me). The whole dissolution of the Soviet Union throws up some fascinating 'real world' incidents and a rich source of what if's! For instance, the Kuznetsov was constructed in a Ukrainian shipyard so what if the Ukrainians didn't want to hand it over.

And along similar lines, this is from wiki...

Early in 1992, part of the Black Sea Fleet personnel had begun to swear allegiance to the people of Ukraine. Starting in January, the Ukrainian oath was taken by the personnel of the Training Company at the Naval Diving School, the 880th Detached Battalion of the Naval Infantry (Marines) Brigade, and various naval surface ships.[8]

The current history of the Ukrainian Naval Forces started on August 1, 1992 when it was formally established by order of the President of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk. This was followed by a long and controversial partition of the Soviet Black Sea Fleet between newly independent Ukraine and the Russian Federation.

One of the episodes of this process was the story of the SKR-112 - effectively the first Ukrainian Navy ship.[9] On July 20, 1992, the crew of SKR-112 declared itself a Ukrainian ship and raised the Ukrainian flag. The Navy headquarters in Moscow considered this a mutiny and attempted to act accordingly. But the ship left its base on the Crimean peninsula for Odessa, causing an armed chase and collision attempts by ships still loyal to Moscow. Soon several other ships, auxiliary vessels, and coastal units of the Black Sea Fleet followed SKR-112's decision but with less violent outcomes.

Updated to add radome and the correct Ukrainian Naval Aviation roundel (with anchor).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:48:57 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #797 on: May 12, 2012, 07:48:30 am »
Yak-41M Freestyle - Ukrainian Air Force, 2004

Perhaps the Ukrainian Air Force adopted a 'Flygvapnet' style splinter scheme!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #798 on: May 12, 2012, 11:42:54 am »
Yak-41M Freestyle - Ukrainian Air Force, 2006

Now available for download at Combat Ace!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:53:15 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #799 on: May 14, 2012, 11:42:31 am »
General Dynamics F-16E 'Scamp' - 496th Tactical Fighter Squadron, USAF, 1991

I'm a bit short of time tonight so here is an off the peg 'what if' using the F-16XL created by Michael "wpnssgt" Engle back in the day and it comes with this lovely 496th TFS skin and also a Ferris skin which I'll show at another time but with another nations markings.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #800 on: May 15, 2012, 11:53:52 am »
General Dynamics Falcon GR.4 - No.6 Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 1989

As mentioned, the F-16XL also comes with this Ferris scheme to which I've added RAF 'B' type and 'Flying Can-Openers' markings. Perhaps this scheme was a temporary washable distemper scheme applied to the RAF's Falcon GR.4's when deployed to Norway.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #801 on: May 16, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »
Lockheed Martin/Boeing F-22K Raptor GR.3 - No.17 Squadron, RAF South East Asia Command, 2018

The F-22A add-on for Strike Fighters is a real 'Top 10' all-time best and I found a USAF 'Euro One' (or is it 'Lizard') skin for it to which I've added RAF SEAC markings with No.17 Squadron zig-zags. In game, the Storm Shadows are awesome!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #802 on: May 19, 2012, 10:55:41 am »
Northrop–McDonnell Douglas F-23E Spiderstrike - 510th TFS, USAFE, Aviano, Italy, 2013

A nice template for the F-23 has enabled me to use a 'Euro One' version of my splinter design and some new lo-viz decals and basic codes.

Offline SPINNERS

Added 'Buzzards' fin stripe

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #804 on: May 20, 2012, 12:34:40 am »
Northrop-SAAB JAS-41 'Svärd' - F21, Swedish Flygvapnet, 2014

Not sure about a backstory here. Perhaps, after the axe fell on the YF-23 in 1991, Northrop teamed up with SAAB to offer their design for export or to fulfill a Swedish requirement for a longer-range aircraft than the Gripen.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:37:52 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #805 on: May 20, 2012, 04:28:53 am »
BAe-Northrop Firebrand FG.1 - 767 Naval Air Squadron, Royal Navy, 2010

Firebrand as in Blackburn Firebrand lol! Hell, let's bring back the Blackburn name as well by making Blackburn the trading name of BAe and Northrop. I've always liked the Yellow Eagle of 767NAS since having the (diecast) Dinky F-4K as a nipper. The heavily canted fins on the F-23K don't make the best canvas to show off colourful Royal Navy markings.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:41:55 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #806 on: May 23, 2012, 01:09:16 pm »
Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet - Ukrainian Air Force, 2009

The AlphaJet available for 'Strike Fighters' is a cracking 3D model by a German modder named 'Amkfloo' who also generously uploaded a nice template making it easy for me to add my 'Aggressor Splinter' wallpaper and add some Ukrainian markings. Perhaps surplus AlphaJets became available as part of the Peace Dividend and were snapped up by a nation eager to break free from reliance on their larger neighbour.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #807 on: May 25, 2012, 11:23:32 pm »
Chengdu J-14X - Ukrainian Air Force, 2017

The splendid J-14 3D model (based on images found on the internet) was released by Brazilian modder cadeteBRA earlier this year. I've previously shown Força Aérea Brasileira and Ilmavoimat versions and decided to add it to the Ukrainian Air Force in the near future.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #808 on: May 26, 2012, 05:31:40 am »
Tupolev Tu-360 - Soviet Air Force

The Combat Ace archives are stuffed full of oddball items and this is one. It's a bit 'beta' but does look good from certain angles. For this, I knocked up a very basic template and went for a standard Soviet scheme although if this MONSTER (it's truly massive) had gone into service it would have been well after the break up of the Soviet Union. Those with good memories will recall that I've done an RAF V-Bomber version in anti-flash white and pale national markings.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:36:10 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #809 on: May 27, 2012, 01:16:00 am »
Chengdu J-7FM 'Fishtail' - People's Liberation Army Air Force, 2004

This fictional 3D model is by German modder 'Gepard' who has cleverly given the MiG-21 a ventral intake. I've shown this before but this time I'm showing a new PLAAF splinter skin by me (but don't look too close as there are no panel lines).