Main Menu
B

Fool the JMN build?

Started by B777LR, January 14, 2008, 09:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Was thinking, perhaps we could do a fool the joyless modeling numpties build? Must be a model that can fool JMNs. An eksample would be a MiG-15 in markings of an east block user that didnt operate them (now THAT would be hard), or an F-16 in the markings of a USAD squadron that never actually operated them :wacko:
Another possibility could be doing the A-16 in markings that will disguise it as a normal F-16 :wacko: :wub:

What do you think?

Supertom

That would be a brilliant idea.  I once built a navalized A-20, armed with underslung torpedo, a 37mm nose cannon and a slew of .50 cal machine guns on the nose.  Took it to a contest, where I later saw three of the judges around it arguing about the authenticity of the product. 

One of the judges exclaimed, "look, I swear I saw it in one of my research archives!!!!"
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

philp

ST,
Maybe he was a whiffer in disguise getting a laugh by convincing his fellow judges  :wacko:

I like this idea but sometimes it can be too easy.  A Navy F-4 in USAF markings with a story about aircraft shortages so a few were loaned out, etc.  Same can be done with the A-7.
Small Air Forces offer lots of potential, especially with the aforementioned Migs (15, 17, 21) or A-37's or even F-5's.
Trick is to make sure you are entering a plane not specific to a local group.  Example, here in Utah, we have Hill AFB, home of the F-16.  Little harder to convince them of one in spurious markings where a Hunter may get past.

Also, if you have photographic "proof", it goes a long way.  I had found a couple of less familiar Me-262 pics that I wanted to moc up to support my Israeli S-92.  After modifying the markings and making the photo a little grainier, let them tell me I am wrong.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Daryl J.

Someday, using the 'less is more' technique, I hope to take the 1/48 Hasegawa Bf-109G-10 kit and convert the wings to cloth.   Some overall monochrome color such as RLM-66, RLM-77, RLM "84" or the like would be used to illustrate better the revised wings.    :wub:  I'd be fully under way with it on ARC but the -109 GB is Fact Only.

One can see dancing in the streets by the Easily Agitated.   :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Additionally, the Eduard Bf-110C in Ye Olde Stash was specifically purchased for  whiffery:   Two blade props, beeeeg chin radiators, open cockpit, cloth wings.    It'll have to be done in the future after the kids have grown a bit and need less time because it's a time consuming project.   :wub:

A USMC Sea Harrier FA.2 would be fun to do.

One year someone had beautifully rescribed Monogram's F-20 Tigershark and painted it in rather subtle Aggressor/Adversary colors and Canadian markings.   It was awesome.

One thing that may actually get off the ground over on Hyperscale's Century GB  is a spurious Voodoo or Thunderchief.   :ph34r:  Both Monogram kits are in house.

The swept wing F-84F would look good in 74 Squadron markings but everything from the Wright Flyer to the Airbus A380 looks good in 74 Sqdn livery.

One could step out of aircraft and put Star Trek markings on Star Wars equipment or vice versa!  :wacko: :wacko:

And my favorite mentioned before:  Hurricane Mk.I with cloth wing, car headlights in fairings in front of wings for landing lights, two blade prop, spatted gear and a black/white underside.   Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!   All equipment already purchased:  Hasegawa Mk.1, Aeroclub prop, Ultracast seat, Tamiya tape for the wing ribs, Evergreen styrene for the undercarriage revision.    Trying to think of a valid reason retractable gear mechanisms became unavailable temporarily..........   :wub: :wub: :wub:

Daryl J., big fan of less is more and double takes

philp

Daryl,
Obviously the Hurricanes were being used as training aircraft and due to a high number of belly landings because of fixed gear, several were converted with fixed gear as war was coming and every available airframe would be needed (including these airframes during the dire times of the BoB).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

dragon

In theory they should all be able to fool JMNs, regardless of the contest.  They should all be completed to such a degree that even the JMN, when told the backstory, is forced to agree that it is "plausible".  Obviously you may have to work harder on some subjects than others, for example: Bolivian Air Force SR-71, UAE Kfir, Ukranian F-22 Raptor, Jamaican Air Force Sopwith Camel, etc.   :mellow:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

elmayerle

Quote from: Daryl J. on January 14, 2008, 12:27:23 PM
And my favorite mentioned before:  Hurricane Mk.I with cloth wing, car headlights in fairings in front of wings for landing lights, two blade prop, spatted gear and a black/white underside.   Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!   All equipment already purchased:  Hasegawa Mk.1, Aeroclub prop, Ultracast seat, Tamiya tape for the wing ribs, Evergreen styrene for the undercarriage revision.    Trying to think of a valid reason retractable gear mechanisms became unavailable temporarily..........   :wub: :wub: :wub:

Hmm, a production shortage of hydraulic actuators for the landing gear, that early in the production run, would naturally cause a limited production run of fixed gear Hurricanes.  As an alternative, it could be early in the war when every fighter was needed and a shortage of replacement actuators forced the reversion to fixed gear 'til actuator production could catch up.  Don't laugh, there're a couple systems on the F-35 today that are forcing a somewhat similar situation on a couple of the early "full-up" SDD aircraft.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

jcf

Here's one you'll like, Evan.

As related by a former co-worker who was involved:
In the late 1980s a Japanese carrier (can't recall if it was JAL or ANA, I think it was ANA) approached Boring about producing a fixed landing gear variant of the 747 Domestic.
The 747 Domestic - used only by Japanese carriers on internal routes, has high density seating, 864 on an ANA 747-400. :o
The reasoning was, what with the short cycle time on flights between the major cities, that fixed gear would save weight and reduce maintenance requirements.
Boeing, being willing to humor certain customers, went through the motions and assigned a few people to do a quick study and
then promptly said "No".
With spatted gear it would be The World's Largest Tri-Pacer;D ;D

Jon

elmayerle

You know, that would almost be worth doing just to see the reactions.  I wonder if the same approach would work for a stol spec ops Hercules?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin