B-45

Started by retro_seventies, November 19, 2003, 06:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_seventies

Great looking plane, rarely mentioned....

B-45

would rather like to build one - anybody else here built one? if so what kit? any suggestions?

all the best,

ben
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Geoff_B

Quotewould rather like to build one - anybody else here built one? if so what kit? any suggestions?

Hi Ben

Mach 2 B-45 Tornado

Here one currently in production, i know MACH2 are a bit crappy and hard to build but the alternatives are a very rare frog kit from the 1950's or possibly Vacform from Sanger who do bothe the Bomber and Recon versions.

Sanger Vacforms

BTW you know their are some RAF marked ones that flew recon missions for the US over Russia.

Cheers

GeoffB B)  

retro_seventies

QuoteBTW you know their are some RAF marked ones that flew recon missions for the US over Russia.

that's a negative, i did NOT know that....cor, you learn something new every day, eh?

thanks for the link to the model...  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Captain Canada

Geez, Thor...do you know every kit ever made, and where to find it, or what ?! You do seem very adept at finding them :wub: But, if only we could afford them all !

And Jeffry. I've got that article in a Flypast mag...I'll try and dig it out for you.

I think they had a really cool eyeball painted on the nose, too........

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

Here's some details on the RAF spy missions with the RB-45 Tornado...
RB-45 Tornado
and
Operation Jiu Jitsu
Note the markings, they removed all the USAF identifier bits and stuck large RAF roundels on the side. I reckon this means the RAF have flown at least three different Tornadoes.... Hawker, North American and Panavia.

Nick B)  

retro_seventies

wicked...

thanks bats!  :D  

Alvis

Air Enthusiast had an article on the "Real" Tornado...one of the pics showed the crew of several planes...rather large, corn and beef fed looking, compared to some of the other....British...looking flightline crews....I'm sure they were not USAF types in RAF uniforms.....nooooo

Alvis
B)  

Ollie

Nice one, thanks guys.

kitnut617

The 2022 Spring issue of Air-Britain's Aviation World has a really interesting article about the B-45. Something I wasn't aware of before but interested me to no end, it says the bomb bay was sized so it could carry a 22,000lb Grand Slam  ------ hmm! (grinding of gears in my head)  617 Sqn maybe -----  :-\
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Quote from: Geoff_B on November 19, 2003, 10:17:53 AM
Quotewould rather like to build one - anybody else here built one? if so what kit? any suggestions?

Hi Ben

Mach 2 B-45 Tornado

Here one currently in production, i know MACH2 are a bit crappy and hard to build but the alternatives are a very rare frog kit from the 1950's or possibly Vacform from Sanger who do bothe the Bomber and Recon versions.

Sanger Vacforms

BTW you know their are some RAF marked ones that flew recon missions for the US over Russia.

Cheers

GeoffB B)
Valom produces 1/72 kits

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Martin H

Quote from: McColm on April 19, 2022, 12:25:21 PM
Quote from: Geoff_B on November 19, 2003, 10:17:53 AM

Hi Ben

Mach 2 B-45 Tornado

Sanger Vacforms

Cheers

GeoffB B)
Valom produces 1/72 kits

Bare in mind that the quoted post from Geoff was written in 2003. most likely before before Valom existed.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.