Author Topic: Seen Over Your House Today  (Read 665592 times)

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Seen Over Your House Today
« Reply #5340 on: April 01, 2019, 10:25:55 am »
All the raptor type birds are just magnificent to watch, we have around our place quite a few species.  A couple of weekends ago me & mrs kitnut were doing our 'monthly' big shopping trip at Costco in Red Deer (about 85km away), and while refueling my truck at their gas station, I looked up and saw a Bald Eagle circling above us. Really neat to see those guys around too (we had one in the trees of our yard for about a week a few years ago). On Saturday our son was on his way to our place and he was all excited about something when he arrived, he told us he'd just seen a Bald Eagle too, which was only a couple of miles from our place where he saw it. He said it was perched on a post and took off right in front of his car when he was driving down the road. He said it was huge too ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #5341 on: April 01, 2019, 02:25:10 pm »

Given the way they are spreading out, Kit may have them above his house in a year or two.

I certainly won't complain about that, they're fascinating to watch, specially for a glider pilot.  :thumbsup:
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline kitbasher

• What-IF SIG
  • bashes kits
« Reply #5342 on: April 01, 2019, 03:37:28 pm »
The reintroduction of red kites in the High Wycombe area is possibly close to being too successful, due to locals leaving food out for them.  Saw a couple doing slow dives into a garden in the middle of Peinces Risborough a few weeks ago.
We often get them over our house in wild West Middlesex just off 4-5 miles finals to Northolt.

As for bald eagles, have watched a mother on the nest with 2 adolescent chicks that looked capable of flight.  This was on a footpath out of Quidi Vidi NL towards St John's.
Closest I've been to one was in Port Hardy BC last year.  Walking down a street, heard a loud crack and about 25-30 ft away was one, had just ripped a 2 inch x 4 feet branch off the tree it was in.  Then flew off, branch in beak.
Apols for ghe name drops but tgat's where they were!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Arrow/Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco GA.1/Barracuda/CASA 2.217/Corsair GR1/EE P12/Hawker P1104/Hawker P1067/Hellcat IV/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/Macchi MC.205/Phantom FG1/Puffin/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Ta154/Val/Spitfire 25/FrankenCOIN

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5343 on: April 02, 2019, 06:13:45 am »
One year when I was working a pair of Peregrine's nested successfully on the roof of the office block next door, and this was in the middle of Croydon. It could get quite distracting watching them circling looking for prey.
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #5344 on: April 03, 2019, 03:34:07 am »
One year when I was working a pair of Peregrine's nested successfully on the roof of the office block next door, and this was in the middle of Croydon. It could get quite distracting watching them circling looking for prey.

I misread that as a pair of penguins...
 :unsure:

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

My name is Commander William Riker.  Take me to your women.

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #5345 on: April 03, 2019, 03:35:27 am »

Could be, Croydon's a funny sort of place after all.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5346 on: April 03, 2019, 06:23:03 am »

Could be, Croydon's a funny sort of place after all.  ;D

Nothing truer said  :angel:
Decals my @r$e!

Online TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #5347 on: April 08, 2019, 02:29:50 pm »
747-800!!!! It was miles and miles off in the distance, but it's so huge I could easily tell it was either a 747 or the Dreamlifter variant. I rushed inside to look it up, and sure enough, Lufthansa 747-8 going from Frankfurt to Mexico City!  :lol:

Only the second one I've ever seen. Last year I saw an older Chinese one flying North.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline KiwiZac

• The Zac Attack is Back!
  • aka K5054NZ, proud Whiffer since 2005
    • Zac on Facebook
« Reply #5348 on: April 14, 2019, 05:32:13 am »
Heard, but not seen this afternoon: the local DH Venom out and about getting ready for its next airshow appearance over Easter. I popped by the airport after work and saw the owner fuelling her up and, sure enough, half an hour or so later she whistled on by. Lovely.
With warm regards from Whanganui, New Zealand

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #5349 on: April 14, 2019, 07:36:40 am »

Heard, but not seen this afternoon: the local DH Venom out and about getting ready for its next airshow appearance over Easter. I popped by the airport after work and saw the owner fuelling her up and, sure enough, half an hour or so later she whistled on by. Lovely.

Green with envy mode on.

NZ's a world centre for classic aircraft restorations.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #5350 on: April 19, 2019, 04:47:13 am »
While heading eastwards on the A14 with my sunroof open yesterday, as you do in such wonderful weather, I noticed a single engined low wing aircraft coming toward me at some speed. As it came o'head it was obviously a Griffon engined Spitfire, (I could HEAR the thing through the open roof!) and looking up at it I saw it was a PRXIX in PRU Blue with D-Day black and white stripes, which made it PM631, one of the BoBMF Spitfires.  :thumbsup:

PM631 has been grounded for some years for a total re-build and only started flying again a few weeks ago so I was very luck to catch sight of her.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Offline Rheged

• Growing older is inevitable, growing up isn't!
« Reply #5351 on: April 19, 2019, 10:19:39 am »
Heading home from Hereford Cathedral at 4 ish this afternoon, a Pitts Special (probably the one from Shobdon airfield) being hurled around the sky in a most reprehensible, almost airborne-hooligan, fashion...on mature reflection, I suppose that is how such aeronautical devices are meant to be flown!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #5352 on: April 19, 2019, 10:34:41 am »
Indeed, is it possible to fly a Pitts any other way?  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

Offline kerick

« Reply #5353 on: April 19, 2019, 05:39:17 pm »
I suppose they do fly right side up once and a while........ :thumbsup:
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline perttime

« Reply #5354 on: April 20, 2019, 02:43:15 am »
Clearly, people manage to fly Pitts aircraft hundreds of kilometers to an airshow. I believe it takes more care than driving a Cessna, though. People with the smaller models, with less power, sometimes leave out all sorts of non-essential things to save weight: in-flight adjustable trims, starter motors, constant speed props, elaborate radio equipment, ...