Falklands/Malvinas Poll

Started by AeroplaneDriver, December 03, 2006, 07:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you find an Alternate Falklands build offensive?

Yes
3 (7.5%)
No
33 (82.5%)
I'm uneasy enough to not want to participate
4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 38

AeroplaneDriver

Folks,

Geoff has given some input on this build, and is quite rightly concerned that this build not be offensive.  Apprently a Falklands build was nixed at the SIG site as some members though it was not an appropriate way to honor the memory of those who fought and died.

The last thing I want this build to do is become tasteless of offensive, so please even if you have no intention of entering this build, answer the question.  
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Captain Canada

I can't see how that would offend people......

If that were the case, we might as well just pack our bags and go home. Isn't that what this site is all about ? Alternate history ? What diference does it make if it's WWII, Vietnam, or the present day ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Scooterman

(Rant Mode)
I agree with the Cap't on this.  I've been modeling subjects all of my life that are war machines.  Right or wrong people die in wars and no matter what markings nor colors I/we put on something doesn't change that fact.  If it offends somebody, they don't have to participate.  If I/we produce something that John Q. Public doesn't like, fine.  JQP is entitiled to their opinion just like anybody else and they can choose not to like the display.

But I don't think of my models in that way.  My modeling is just a creative way of me expressing my joy of building plastic models.  I model what I like, how I like and don't model things that I don't like or especially offend me.  I do this for my  enjoyment and no other.  

If you want to model something, do it.  If you don't, don't.  Simple as that.  But don't ruin the experience for the people that do want to model.

By any means I'm not tring to step on ANYBODY'S toes here nor start a major arguement.  I just feel in the last few days things on this board seem have taken a step towards the serious side.  Hell we've even had several threads locked down.  Look, I consider EVERYBODY  on this board as my FRIEND  and I don't like seeing heated discussions over something as minor as our hobby, so please don't take any of my comments personally-they are all just my opinions, nothing more.

However, if I have made anybody upset with my comments, I am truely sorry, it wasn't intended.  If you would like to talk to me more about it, please contact me OFF the board so we don't waste the bandwidth for this thread.
(rant off)

BTW-I vote no.

lenny100

As somebody who lost a uncle onbord HMS Sheffield and had another hurt onbord HMS Plymouth, I belive that not talking about and remembering what happend is the greatest insult.
I belive that this group build is a great way for people to remember what happend and why this action was nessasery.
the only thing i ask is that all builds must have a well though out back story, which must not undermine what happend or rewrite history to much (such as the use of wmd).

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

elmayerle

I'll admit this build tempts me greatly.  I've got most of what I need for a Malvinas-based "Matador" armed with Martin Pescador ASMs.  The ASMs aren't as threatening as the Exocets the Super Etendards carry, but they can be launched closer in and the similarity between the Matador and the Sea Harrier is going to add to the confusion over the fleet.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

retro_seventies

Lenny, i couldn't agree with you more.  I had friends that were involved on the ground in the conflict (they are a bit older than me) and i'm sure that they would feel the same way.  As long as things are done respectfully then there should be no problem.  

One of my very best friends here in San Antonio (he's a zookeeper too) was US Marine Recon for most of his 12 years in the service...he saw action in a great many places, from grenada to panama to lebanon and many others, and we discuss "what if" theories all the time.  Another was a marine in Vietnam, and again we chew the fat - he tells me how it was, and then i throw "what if" ideas at him...nobody gets offended, respect and admiration flows, as does the beer....always the beer!

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle Lenny - I can assure you that the guys on the site will treat the subject of the falklands conflict with the appropriate tact.
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Captain Canada

Isn't that a Columbian F-5 dueling an RAF Nimrod ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Runway ? ...

I'm one of the guys who voted "I'm uneasy enough to not want to participate" but that's just me, I'm not happy playing with that one yet and the best changes I can think of involve politicians, civil servants and a pig farm.
If you guys want to go for it then that's cool but the nearest I can come to an idea is to what-if the leaflets from the Buenos Aires Black Buck leaflet drop   :)  

Roger the Cabin Boy

I could never argue a case as well as Scooterman did here.  But what he didn't mention was that we both have a very good modeller friend down in Buenos Aires.  

He was an pilot for Aerolineas Argentinas, and in 1982 he was ordered to fly a B737 full of troops into Stanley in marginal weather conditions onto a short runway as his part in the unpleasantness.  Like may 'Argies', he has a fierce national pride and loves his country - but he also had the view then that taking on the Brits was a disastrous move - as it turned out.

20 years later, Ricardo was my houseguest, and being a true gentleman and very likeable guy, he made so many new friends at Telford.  We did it all again a year later, where he met up with Scooterman too.  Their friendship, despite wildly contrasting styles, was something to behold!

Ricardo and I are (still) researching a very comprehensive but long delayed book on the history of the Pucara.  This type's history is littered with so many what if possibilities, and we are both huge fans of this fun side of modelling.  

So count that as two more votes for creative modelling, and the friendship it brings.  

I do hope/expect he'll be at Telford again next year.  With some VIFF WIFs.

:ar:

The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

Martin H

Ok just to put a few thing streight,

the main reasons the SIG isnt doing a Falklands build is because the Harrier sig is going to do a 1982 theme for their 2nd theme (along side the VIff Whiff) and the IPMS (UK) now has a south Atlantic sig, and the last thing i want to do is rain on their parade on what is their 1st Telford display and an aniversary year of the war. 3 sigs doing a falklands build for telford would be over doing it and the logistics of co ordinating joint displays is hard enought when its only 2 sigs, let alone adding a 3rd.

It had nothing to do with "dishonoring" the memory of the dead, but more to do with internal IPMS politics and pure logistics.  And seeing the What if? sig's secondary display is a genral one, theres no reason for a few (or more) Falklands whiffs not to be on the table.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.