Main Menu

Falklands/Malvinas

Started by AeroplaneDriver, November 30, 2006, 06:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Hmmm...
I did just pick up a Viking and SC did that nice profile...
But I really planned a Firebomber.  Maybe if I can find another couple of kits...
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

B777LR

Hmmm, HMS Nimitz! HMS Forrestal! HMS Ranger! HMS King George V! HMNZS Iowa! :wub:

New zealand, canada, australia, south africa and india helped kick out the argentinians! :wub:

New zealand skyhawks vs. argentina skyhawks! Australian mirage vs. argentina skyhawk :wub: (not whiff though, but perhaps a different scheme?

AeroplaneDriver

OK guys, I'm tickled pink with the response to this idea and have PM'd Thorvic about getting it set up as an offical GB.

A few basic guidelines I've been thinking of;

1.  Any and all Alternate Falklands builds are allowed.  I havent seen anything suggested that would be out of bounds.  BUT...

2. Every entry should be accompanied by a backstory.  As much as we all love building our little war machines, both real and speculative, war is a very bad thing.  One aspect of this build should be our way of paying our respects to the 1,000+ soldiers, sailors, and airmen who lost their lives in the service of their countries during this War.  We should each read up a little to learn a bit more about their sacrifice and put the effort forward to develop a bit of a backstory for our builds.

3.  The build will coincide with the timeframe of the war itself, with a start on April 02 and an end on June 14.  This should give everyone plenty of time I think (HM Forces retook well defended, remote islands 6000 miles from home in this timeframe, surely we can slap together a few dozen pieces of plastic.)

4.  Winner picked by popular vote, based on a combination of idea, build, and backstory.

5.  There is no rule 5.

6.  Prizes I am planning would be the "Vulcan 607" book, an Airfix/MPC Vulcan Kit and a Super Etendard or Skyhawk kit.  Winner takes his (or her, now that we have Lana and Elsie active on the board) pick, followed by second place, 3rd place gets what's left.

7.  As usual,  fun is the goal, with the caveat that too much silliness may not be appropriate on the anniversary of armed conflict.

Let me know what you think of the rules, and if we get the thumbs up we'll plan on a GB next Spring!

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

GTX

QuoteLet me know what you think of the rules, and if we get the thumbs up we'll plan on a GB next Spring!

The rules sound good to me.  Can't wait to enter - mind you your spring is my autumn  :lol: .

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Nick

Sounds great to me, we could have Royal Navy SkyHawks versus Argentine Harriers!

Alternate Argie carriers? The French build an extra Clemenceau for them or decide to get the Verdun nuclear class and sell the Clemenceau/Foch in 1975?

Nick B)  

Son of Damian

How many enteries are allowed per person? Cuz I have at least two ideas right now.

Can I do a American made aircraft, that has been something of an export success around the world, that was used in a rather famous raid in 1981 ;) ? I'm intentionally being vague so it remains a surprise.
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Scooterman

Archibald

QuoteSounds great to me, we could have Royal Navy SkyHawks versus Argentine Harriers!

Alternate Argie carriers? The French build an extra Clemenceau for them or decide to get the Verdun nuclear class and sell the Clemenceau/Foch in 1975?

Nick B)
Better : the Froggies sell a Clemenceau to the Rosbifs...

or even better, the French Navy (for some obscure reason) become involved in the conflict. AND, in order to avoid friendly kills (because the Argies also have Super Etendards!) Aeronavale aircrafts received high-viz markings (yellow/black strips in suez-style, white-black in D-day style...)
Crusaders killing Mirages, both with R-530s...

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Leigh

I've got a bit of a problem with Rule 5, could you explain it please?

And who's gonna be in charge of the Sheep Dip?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

The Rat

QuoteI've got a bit of a problem with Rule 5, could you explain it please?
I thought there was NOOOOOO!!!... rule 6.
QuoteAnd who's gonna be in charge of the Sheep Dip?
You are. You can wash your Twiglets in it to improve the taste.

Scratch that, it might kill the sheep.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr